Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
why is there th connction between the inner and outer header pipes?

what is the perpose for it? my zzr600 the pipes just go four to one.

·
Registered
571 Posts
To bring balance to the force...err umm...I mean to the exhaust pulses in the headers.

·
Premium Member
3,529 Posts
so its a good thing to have the pipes connected?
why dont most aftermarket system incorperate this.
I think it all depends on the rpm range you ride at. Aftermarket pipes are meant to be run at higher revs and sacrifice low end torque for more peak hp. I'm not going to get into the details of how it works (cuz I don't really know), but you get the idea. I'm sure we have some smart cookies here that can explain it better.

·
Registered
703 Posts
........exhaust guys call these "cross over pipes". they do serve a positive purpose. do a google serch on it you will find info. mostly car stuff but it will explain the purpose.

·
Powerhungry
38,423 Posts
actually, i think theyre called balance tubes. look into after market headers for cars/trucks. you will see several ways they are made 4-1, try-y, seperate, im sure theres others. like was mentioned it has to do with tuning the engine/exhaust for specific rpm ranges. based on how its going to be used.

·
Registered
157 Posts
kinda like those "x-pipe" exhausts for mustangs. supposed to improve lower rpm torque or something.

still waiting on those tech guys to give us a detailed answer:D

·
Registered
527 Posts
Cross over pipe = Balance Pipe...same damn thing...lol

And the setup is designed to help exhaust flow and increase low end torque...

GunRunner

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I know that when you have a crossover pipe in the exhaust system on a V8, it provides more torque at lower rpms, and when you have a true twin exhaust system, you get more power at higher rpms.

I imagine the crossover tubes on the 636 are there to improve torque at lower to mid-range rpms.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.