Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...lowlifes, stupid, irresponsible, potheads, jobless, uneducated SOBs? Ever since I've told people I am looking for a bike I've been told not to be like "them" because they are the things I listed above.

Why is this the impression? How do you deal with it? Do you care?

I feel like I've lost all my motivation to get on two wheels. :(

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Where do you live that people think that? Can't say I have heard that once. The most I get is that people just stressing to stay safe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A lack of response is probably a good indication that we don't care. People will always form opinions about things they don't understand to create a perception that they are above/better than them. If you are concerned that people will see you this way then don't get a motorcycle. If you really DO want to ride I suggest you take a bridge building class then a safety course and become licensed. Then you will have an understanding of riding on two wheels and you'll be able to get over the river of negative stereotypes.

·
Registered
558 Posts
...I feel like I've lost all my motivation to get on two wheels. :(

Dont let "what others think" be your motivation for riding FTW!

I do it cuz its fun, easier parking, less fuel consumption, chicks dig it, you get to where you are going faster than you would in a car, did I mention its FUN?

·
Registered
180 Posts
How many bikers do you see sporting the "total bad a$$" look? I'm sure many of them are stand up people but if you look like an outlaw people will assume you are one and treat you accordingly. Don't say "it's just a style". It's a message, so they should not take umbrage when ordinary people receive it loud and clear. I think if you put forward a professional appearance and ride safely you will tend to find more courtesy on the road.

Tim

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're all right, of course, and it shouldn't matter to me, because I want one for me: they're fun, awesome parking, great mileage, relatively cheap, etc. I've been riding a bicycle for 20+ years and I love the freedom and control of being on 2 wheels. Granted, the two are nothing alike, but I imagine the effect is multiplied on a motorcycle.

It's too bad a lot of people feel that way, at least people that I've encountered. :buzzsaw:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Don't know either...many people are actually surprised that I'm very well educated and speak normal...

·
Registered
314 Posts
im guesssing that people are just sterotyping bike riders. its very common that people think badly of motorcycle as not caring for their own safety therefore thinking that we are dumb. but i've only heard ppl tell me that motorcycles are dangerous and what not.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
...lowlifes, stupid, irresponsible, potheads, jobless, uneducated SOBs? Ever since I've told people I am looking for a bike I've been told not to be like "them" because they are the things I listed above.

Why is this the impression?

. :(
It's just ignorance. Maybe some jealousy too. When people don't understand something they make uneducated guesses. They obviously don't know the expense that goes with owning motorcyles. It is an expensive sport, hobby, passion, or however it affects you.

I don't know anyone that is poor and owns a bike. I do know many people that are rich and own bikes.

·
ratherberiding
18,438 Posts
I'm too busy riding and posting to notice what people say about me

·
Registered
20 Posts
I shure dunt no whet them frends of yors ar talkin bout but i ride my wheelies goin less than 120 miles per our n i can go fer about 17 exits on the hiway. Im faster than any car out ther and i proove it everyday. 2 wheels? i ride 1.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Why is this the impression?
Because of this

I shure dunt no whet them frends of yors ar talkin bout but i ride my wheelies goin less than 120 miles per our n i can go fer about 17 exits on the hiway. Im faster than any car out ther and i proove it everyday. 2 wheels? i ride 1.
Let's face it. A lot of stereotypes are there because there is a small amount of truth. All people learn from simplifying. There are a lot of unsafe motorcycles out there, so they judge all of us. Just like how people say the left half of the brain is used for logical/linear thinking. It's just a simplification. The left brain is used for more logical/linear thinking than the right. The left also helps in creative thinking, though.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Don't lose motivation because of what others think! Fuck them! Fuck them in the ear! :buzzsaw:

I bet they all sit on their couch watching Seinfeld everyday. Now who's the lowlifes, stupid, irresponsible, potheads, jobless, uneducated SOBs?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts