Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
When you're bike is off, the only drain is from the gauge cluster to keep the clock running. But I don't know what that would amount to. If your bike is more than an year or two old, it just may be time to replace the battery. Also keep in mind that constantly draining the battery dead will reduce the battery life as well.

-2000 ZX-6R.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
My battery keeps dying after a few days. Thought it might be the battery, but then checked to see if theres a drain.

With the bike off, alarm off(w/ alarm fuses out) it has a constant drain of about 10 mA. Is this normal/too much?

I cant tell if thats a lot or not because I dont know what the resistances should be.

The wierd thing is that when I connect the Ampmeter(I put it between the battery terminal and the wire) it jumps to about 50mA and then drops to a steady 10mA.

Also, when I connect the voltmeter to the same place(between the battery and the wire going to battery) it follows a rhythmic rate going from 8 to 9 to 8 to 9 volts....

any ideas why this is happening? a short? but a short wouldnt explain the 8 to 9 volt pace.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Without knowing if your bike is an '03 and I don't know if other years have clocks or not, I would guess to say that some drain is normal. Have you checked the voltage on the battery while the bike is running? It should read somewhere about 13-14vdc.

This is what I would do if you think that there is some electrical problem. Start off with all the fuses in, key in off position, and conect the amp meter between the battery and the positive battery cable. Then read what the amp meter says, then remove one fuse at a time, checking the amp meter each time. Once the amp meter reads zero (hopefully it will do that with one fuse, and not just drop down a little at a time over a couple of fuses). Then leave out that fuse and replace the other fuses one at a time, checking the amp meter as you go. If you get the other fuses back in and are still reading zero you can now see what is causing that drain on that crt. If you end up with a couple of fuses out to read zero you still have a better idea of where to look for a problem.

You don't have to be faster then the bear, just faster then your friend.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yep, charging the battery is no problem. Ive done the fuse thing before, but Ill try it again anyway, but still I have no clue on the 8 to 9 to 8 to 9 thing.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.