Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, you have all been very helpful to me sicne I've gotten my first bike. I have another question.

I am trying to install blue LEDs under my 2006 ZX636 seat. Apparently I need to hook the wires of the LEDs onto my battery... but to remove the damn battery, I need to remove the fuel tank. Why is this so hard to do?

I need to connect the (-) wire with (-) wire.. and (+) wire with (+) wire. Is there an easy way to install these without removing my fuel tank? I am scared to mess something up. Is there a picture tutorial of it somewhere online?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Just tap into the license plate light wire that way you don't have to worry about a toggle switch or anything like that. It's on when the bike is on and off when the bike is off. Much easier to get to.

I actually put two LED on my plates but doesn't really light the plate up. It puts out a cool blue light down the road though. Looks pretty cool. I hope it's not illegal.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
You can still put a togle swith on it then. Just put it before the LED so it doesn't turn your tag lights off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The lights come with the switch. Alright so how do I go about tapping into the license plate light? I am REALLY new at all this.. sorry for the flurry of questions [:I]

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
It runs on the left side of the bike under the tail. Just follow it.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Yes. If you are not willing to do that then just tap into the battery.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I am trying the battery thing... but do i HAVE to remove my tank? Also, is there a tutorial as to where exactly to put the red and black wires on my battery? I know its meant to match the red and black covers on the battery.. but where exactly do I attach the wires?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
No. You just need to lift the tank up.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Just take the nut off and connect it to the terminal.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Is the terminal the small metal block under the nut?
step 1.) go buy heat shrink tubing, a simple on/off two way toggle switch, crimp on, appropriately sized eyelets for the guage wire you have and the battery stud, female spade connectors (some toggles come with them), and a crimp tool.

step 2.) run 2 wires from battery to toggle switch, crimp eyelet onto one end of wires, heat shrink tubing onto the wires/eyelets.

step 3.)run ground wire (one of the two wires from step 2) from center post of toggle (usually center post=ground, check the package), to (-) side of battery, dont connect yet. Attach negative wires from your leds to center ground post- (assuming center post=ground). You can use the same spade connector.

Step 4.)On other end of power wire attach female spade, slide onto "off position" toggle switch post.

Step 5.) Run red (+) Led wired to "On position" on toggle.

step 6.) mount LED's and toggle

step 7.) Hook up battery, negative first, and see what happens.

DONT buy a toggle with a light in it, because it will always be on with this method. you could buy a lighted one, but you'll have to tap into an ignition powered wire.

The license plate wires would be A LOT easier, just tap into them and mount your leds, problem solved.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.