183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't follow racing much.
but it seems Kawasaki is doing poorly in superbike & Motogp
why is that ? :)

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
What about hacker. He is normaly pretty close behind spies and mladin.
Hacking has been doing very well. That green looks so much better than the blue/white/yellow/pink/orange/black Rockstar's.

--David

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
The true test if they can consistently keep those kind of results up.

The changes they made over the break are important, I'm sure, but many of the normal front runners were also sucking major wind that weekend because of Michelin.

We'll see...

·
Registered
89 Posts
You have to remember that Kawi is the smallest of the Japanese "Big 4". They don't spend the same amount of money on their GP team as Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or even Ducati.

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
Still not a real reason...

Ducati is a smaller operation than any of them and well... we know how Stoner is doing on that bike.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Still not a real reason...

Ducati is a smaller operation than any of them and well... we know how Stoner is doing on that bike.
Ducati is also solely devoted to motorcycles. Last time I checked Kawasaki did a LOT of other things... built bridges, all kinds of electronics, the machines that dug the chunnel, they're very big into turbine engines etc etc etc. Motorcycles are merely a fraction of what they participate in.

Not only that, they entered into motorcycles later then the other developers and have been developing their racing line via trail and error. Their initial attempts were far too rigid and couldn't put power to ground reliably, but they've been adapting and learning as they go.

Not to mention it's the rider not the bike - perhaps Kawi hasn't been able to attract a rider on the same skill level as Stoner or Rossi up to this point...

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Looking at Ducati though, how much dominance have they had as a manufacturer in MotoGP? Who besides Stoner does well on that machine?

·
Banned
5,572 Posts
You have to remember that Kawi is the smallest of the Japanese "Big 4". They don't spend the same amount of money on their GP team as Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or even Ducati.
I can see this being true. One big example is the ZX6R, the 636cc engine, Cannot compete in the 599cc class.

They did make the ZX6RR although. But we all know all their attention was focused on the 636. That alone brough Kawasaki "636" into more peoples mouths then "Gixxer"

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I can see this being true. One big example is the ZX6R, the 636cc engine, Cannot compete in the 599cc class.

They did make the ZX6RR although. But we all know all their attention was focused on the 636. That alone brough Kawasaki "636" into more peoples mouths then "Gixxer"
Umm, they were pretty much the same bike with a few small differences. Now that you mention it, Kawasaki has done pretty well in AMA Supersport.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
While KHI is one of the 10 largest companies in the world (they dwarf honda, yamaha and suzuki), they are #4 in bike volume....they "dabble" in it by comparison to the others.

People have a short memory. In the early to mid 90's Muzzy/kawi had a good stretch in ama and world. GP was all two stroke then and they didn't chase it.

In WSBK Ducati "IS" racing...they will always be a factor.

Chandler and Bostrom put the "outdated" zx7r on the podium and championship in the later 90's, even against the liter bikes.

In the early 2000's the zx6r was competing with the 750 supersports and winning. Kawi built the 636 to compete with the 750...but with all the ease of a single chassis in their factory and HP dominance in the "street" 600's...brilliant marketing, just in time for the AMA to change the class structure.

Last year Randy Depuniet would have been doing much better had he not lost a chain, fallen down in the rain and other slips when he was in the lead pack.

But...all that aside, they are out of the lime light of Mladin/Spies or the Rossi/Stoner battles. All those riders are top notch and the teams are well oiled machines. I think Yoshi could field a friggin Yamaha razz and place....they are such an awesome team the bike is mearly a single piece of the puzzle.

The hard core privateer racers will ride whatever bike they can get the best race parts for...Yoshimura....you can buy a prepped gsxr superbike right out of their catalog. I really think and aftermarket team has more drive to succeed.

I have high hopes for Hopper and Hacking....we shall see if they are misplaced.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I've always liked Hopper, and I think Hacking will do well. Kawasaki got a late start and is behind the curve in MotoGP, but it looks like things are on the up for them.

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
Ducati is also solely devoted to motorcycles. Last time I checked Kawasaki did a LOT of other things... built bridges, all kinds of electronics, the machines that dug the chunnel, they're very big into turbine engines etc etc etc. Motorcycles are merely a fraction of what they participate in.

Not only that, they entered into motorcycles later then the other developers and have been developing their racing line via trail and error. Their initial attempts were far too rigid and couldn't put power to ground reliably, but they've been adapting and learning as they go.

Not to mention it's the rider not the bike - perhaps Kawi hasn't been able to attract a rider on the same skill level as Stoner or Rossi up to this point...
I don't really believe the rider is Kawasaki's only(or main) important issue.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it seems like KHI is a sleeping giant.
If they ever decided to really get behind their little motorcycle division,
they could shake up the bike industry

·
Registered
89 Posts
When I said Kawi is the smallest of the "Big 4" I was speaking only on the motorcycle side. As others have mentioned they are a huge company and motorcycles are the smallest part of KHI.

Ducati may be smaller than all the Japanese companies, they focous only on motorcycles and mainly on racing.

I think Kawasaki is learning every year and they will start to make some good progress. It looks like Malandri is going to ride for the GP team next year. While he hasn't done much this year he has shown he can win. You could argue that this is the best rider Kawi has ever had on the GP bike.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Could this be it? :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts