Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been riding dirtbikes for a while and about 6-8 months ago i bought a cbr 600 and started riding on the street. now i have sold it and im going to buy a 636. my friend that i rode dirtbikes with wants to enter a group buy in with some guys, but everyone is telling him its to much bike for his first streetbike. I started thinking about it and i wish i would have spent the money i spent on the honda on a down payment on a new bike and not have waisted my time with the honda in the first place. with all the used race parts and used parts on e-bay if he drops it, most likely it will be at slow enough speeds to make it ridable for a decent price. I wanted to get some oppinions on this, cause i think he would be fine on it, but maybe im blinded by my lack of seat time. thanx in advance for the insight.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Have him read the sticky on how to choose a good first bike? My '03 is my first SS bike and I have been riding dirt for a while as well. Granted the power is awesome and there's a lot of it, but it's all throttle control. How much seat time does he have on dirt bikes? Any at all on street bikes? Don't act like Jayson Williams(Chicago Bulls), take the MSF class, and most of all, take your time at riding at your own comfort level. The only thing that threw me for a loop the first week was not the bike itself, but the crazy cagers that were on the road next to me. Hell, I'm ready to trade mine in on a 10R!

I've been told (and read), that a used, older bike is the way to go when first starting out. But each person differs in abilities. Nothing can substitute for seat time...

Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
755 Posts
You can get a decent used 636 for $5200, which isn't bad. I also started on an F3 back in 1998, which was fine. I gradated to a jetted and piped zx7r in 1998 also, which wasn't fine. The 636's wheel comes up a lot easier and can kick the rear tire out faster when in trouble, but he won't get sick of it fast like if he bought a 250. I also own an RC51 now, soon to be zx10r, and in retrospect I wouldn't have gone for anything more than a 600 (or 636) for a year and a half or so.

·
Registered
422 Posts
i've ridden other bikes, but the 636 is my first street bike. I never rode on 2 wheels before..only quads. It took some time getting used to but I absolutely love it. Granted I did go down once, which from what I hear all newbie riders do. The key is to get back up and ride ride again...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Iv seen whale turds move faster than a ninja 250. and the 500 cant even compare to a 125 2 stroke dirtbike. The 636 might not be the best starter bike but a 250 or 500 is just simply a waist of money cause he will want more power,looks,handling, by the end of his first week on the thing. Te 250 and 500 are great bikes if you want a bike for a chick who has never ridden or you want to race in a production class.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
you guys are being way to hard on the ninja 250 and 500...they are good bikes for what they are intended for.

You also have to beaare that riding on pavement is different then riding on dirt. That being said I think atleast a couple of years of solid 125 2-stroke or greater dirtbike riding should be enough experience to keep you alive on a new supersport.

p.s.

I rode dirtbike when I was little and got a ex500(ninja 500) as my first bike and thought it was hella fast for the first couple of years. I usually recommend anyone getting a first street bike to get something used to begin with since most people drop their bike. Funny thing is that for some reason my zx-6r doesn't seem fast anymore... Time for a liter bike ;) It's a never ending cycle...

·
Registered
100 Posts
i could say that the 636 is not the best starter street bike but i have one and it is my first the key thing is one control your wrist only you have the control of the bike trust no one in a car and ride with people who are better riders than you are and who are not out to see anyone get hurt i have learned so much from ridding with guys who used to ride on the track and are just out to have a good time not go as fast as the bike can go also read twist of the wrist 2 very dry book but i read it all the time and learn more everyday

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't see why everyone says getting a ex250 is a waste of money. I actually made money on my 250 and rode it for almost a year. my buddy also sold his for more then he bought it for. I always thought that since their resale is so good that you don't lose out much at all if at all.

·
Registered
156 Posts
hmmmmn my very first bike was an older ninja 1100.....i had 3 yrs dirtbike experience.....i never layed her down for the whole year i had her. now ive stepped down to a zx6r which to me is still pretty quick. i say it all depends on what a person feels comfertable with. hell if u get a big bike just learn to take it easy for a while.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am teaching my friend to ride on my 02 zx6r I think its a fine bike to learn on. The only thing that could make it difficult is the high seating position which will make you feel top heavy at low speeds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a '00 SV650 after completing MSF as my first bike, a fine choice that a rider can grow with. I currently ride a '02 R6, the current crop of 600 S/S bikes are too much for a new rider without gobs of discipline IMHO. Even at the tender age of 48, these machines capabilities are way beyond the skill level that most can muster. My mature discipline is probably the only reason between me and the impound garage.
Ride Safe And Have Fun! I will be adding a ZX/6R to the garage soon, I am glad I found this informative board.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well i just got a 2001 zx6r for my first bike am 25 been driveing cars since i was 17 and am sure am going to be fine. I might not beat all you guys who started on minimoto and the likes but i can't find the start of the race anyway;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd like to say that driving cars has absolutely nothing to do with driving a bike. I have driven since 16,an eclipse, won several races, street and road corses, drag races blah.. anyway, I was good.. yeah got my first bike zx6r and wrecked.. you need to get used to a bike.. its something totally different.. I'm good now and stuntin some, i hope to start racing soon... just thought i'd share..

--- Burn rubber, not your soul. ---

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd like to say that driving cars has absolutely nothing to do with driving a bike. I have driven since 16,an eclipse, won several races, street and road corses, drag races blah.. anyway, I was good.. yeah got my first bike zx6r and wrecked.. you need to get used to a bike.. its something totally different.. I'm good now and stuntin some, i hope to start racing soon... just thought i'd share..

--- Burn rubber, not your soul. ---

·
Registered
105 Posts
You will always get mixed opinions on what type of bike you should start your street riding with, so I'm not going to tell you what to start off with, but I'm going to tell you my story..AND IM NOT LYING!

2 Months before getting my 6r, I one day rode a friends EX250 for about 10 minutes, and not even realy riding for the first 5, and that was the only experience I had before getting my 98. Then one day a really good deal came along, and I bought the 98 6R I have now. And how I brought it home was by just riding it from the sellers house to my house...And when I think about it now, that was the stupidest thing I have ever done, SO DON'T DO IT!!!It was freaky, and when I think about it now, I realize what a risk I took... So try to learn a bit in a parking lot or something first...

What I'm trying to say is, its no problem to start on a 600CC bike as your first street bike. Just make sure you have the confidence level and be mentally prepared for first few rides. Also, don't try chicken stripping or wheelying on the first day..Give it sometime till you are comfortable with the bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The years of driving experience helps with the SIP part of SIPDE. After all them years of driving in rush hour and traffic we know that car A is going to switch lanes, car B is drunk, etc etc.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.