Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here are some pics of my buddy's GSXR when he was running a 190 rear tire. He got the tire for free, so he figured he'd run it to save himself some money. He managed to scrub his front tire down (no more chicken strips) but still have chicken strips on the back. Typically you get the opposite effect. Here are some pics. Just some food for thought.

Front:

Rear:

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have GPA 190 on my Mille R...using all the rear but not the front. Apparently due to fork's being dropped too low in triple.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Taking the chicken strips off the back tire doesn't make a difference whether it's a 190 or a 180.

And if all you're concerned about is getting rid of your strips... well never mind.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
But it looks SOOOOO gangsta.

mmmmmmmmm ......

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Taking the chicken strips off the back tire doesn't make a difference whether it's a 190 or a 180.

And if all you're concerned about is getting rid of your strips... well never mind.
Note my last sentence before you get all upset. "Just food for thought". It was an observation. I never said it was important, cool, or proves anything as far as skill. He's never had this happen with a 180. Chill, bro.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
My point was that your point makes no sense.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
thats pretty damn close.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I never got the strips off the back of my 160 BT016. Only tire I ever owned that that happened with. The sidewall was damn near vertical. Oh well.

·
Premium Member
15,937 Posts
From what I've heard (I've never run a 190 on my ZX6R) the bike will feel more sluggish on turn in or less flickable.

:dunno:

·
Registered
154 Posts
From what I've heard (I've never run a 190 on my ZX6R) the bike will feel more sluggish on turn in or less flickable.

:dunno:
A stunter I know rides a 6 cant stand 190's
Says they squirm around

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
I never got the strips off the back of my 160 BT016. Only tire I ever owned that that happened with. The sidewall was damn near vertical. Oh well.
same for me on the motard. 160 on the back. no unused portion of the tire on the front, but the rear had about 1/8"

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sev said:

I think what he was going with was this:
He managed to scrub his front tire down but still have chicken strips on the back.
There's too much use on the front; his friend is out of tire. Since the rear still has room to go, a gixxer rider will think he has more space to get the bike over. This a potentially catastrophic mistake, since when he goes for that extra inch, the front tire is gonna give way since it is no longer on the tire tread.

I think.

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
I know a guy that races on 190's, loses a slight amount of 'flickability' but gains more contact patch at full lean.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Some race tires dont come in 180s. When I switch over to NTEC's next season, I'll be running a 190 on my zx-6. But they're actually made for a 5.5" wheel. I just might have to trim the rear hugger a little for the tire warmers to fit.
-Cody

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Some race tires dont come in 180s. When I switch over to NTEC's next season, I'll be running a 190 on my zx-6. But they're actually made for a 5.5" wheel. I just might have to trim the rear hugger a little for the tire warmers to fit.
-Cody
exactly. NTEC's are $$ though...

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
There's too much use on the front; his friend is out of tire. Since the rear still has room to go, a gixxer rider will think he has more space to get the bike over. This a potentially catastrophic mistake, since when he goes for that extra inch, the front tire is gonna give way since it is no longer on the tire tread.

I think.
Not necessarily. Even after you hit the edge the tire, you can still lean more. The tire deforms to the road. It's not like you hit the edge or your tire and then anymore lean than that and you roll off the edge.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
exactly. NTEC's are $$ though...
Wrecking because your tires slipped is more than NTECs :)

Plus, I'm just now getting to the point where I'm needing more track oriented tires...so add warmers and a generator...so yea....NTECs are going to be VERY expensive...haha.

For now, I just got some Pirelli Superbike Pro take off's with about 70% life left for $130. Q2's will last 1, maybe 2 more track days, then I'll throw the Pirelli's on for track use, and use the Q2's for commuting until I hit the wear marks in the center of the Q2's. No sense in throwing away a good commuting tire:D
-Cody

1 - 20 of 58 Posts