Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Extra 36cc, massive midrange while keeping the top end, looks, inverted forks, weight...

Don't get me wrong Honda's make one hell of a bike adn I love the exhaust under the seat but it has no midrange, it's much heavier (even though has a smaller engine).

PGH, PA

·
Registered
349 Posts
The only, yes only, reason I bought the 636 over the 600rr is because of the extra cc's. I just came off a 1000cc Honda and will definitely buy another Honda just based on their quality. But this is my first Kawi so who knows???.

I'm not a racer, just do occasional track days and 99% street. The other cool parts (radial mount brakes, inverted forks) were not a factor because I don't think I'll ever be able to use them to their full capability.

I tend to get lazy riding so I like a little extra power. IMO, if I wanted the best 600cc, I would've bought the YZF-R6. Nobody has anything bad to say about that bike. But I love my ZX-6R. It's exactly what I wanted for my riding style. Hope it helps.[8)]

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Again, see this Superbike Magazine 600 Shootout recap:

/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4041

The R6 is not a better bike than the 6R if you average out all the shootouts from this year... far from it, it won two (linked) magazine's shootouts. The rest were all won by either Kawi or Honda, but the one thing ALL magazines pretty much had in common? The Kawasaki romps all over the other bikes in terms of flat out power, and handles as well as or within a whisker of the best. I'll take the power and fiddle with suspension tweaks personally. [:p]

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just curious to hear this crowd's reasons to pick the Ninja over the new Honda. I rode the ZX6 at the Superbike School so I know how that felt. REAL SWEET and connected with the Dunlop 208 skins. Would be using the bike for street riding as well as track events but no true racing career.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I just bought the ZX6R yesterday, its for the street and track right now. Some day it'll be converted to a track only bike. The main reason for choosing it was the extra CCs (the radial brakes, inverted forks, and rear ride height adjustability are also big plusses). This is the first 600 I've owned and can't believe the power, the extra CCs certainly have to help.

The dealer had R6 and CBR600RR models on the floor. Seeing all of these bikes side by side, the ZX6R just looked the best. After test riding the ZX6R I was sold.

My past bikes have all been 750's and 900's and my other bike is a CBR-954. Honda makes great machines, but the ZX6R is certainly changing my mind about Kawasaki and the whole 600 class.

·
Premium Member
11,912 Posts
MJ, I'm like you, I have a 2002 6R and it is the first 600 I've owned, I've owned a Kawi 750 LTD and a 85 ninja 900. I hesitated a lot when I bought it, I thought I might be dissapointed and to my surprise I wasn't. The only thing that slightly dissapoints me is the throttle response (you might not have this problem). One thing I can tell you, you can never go wrong with a Kawi.

Irv Roman

·
Registered
349 Posts
Like I said IMO the R6 is the best 600. Like I said, nobody Has Anything bad to say about the R6. Who cares who wins a magazine shootout? Obviously you. It's about what we like as individual riders. I'll say it again. IMO the R6 is the best all-around 600. And the 636 is the BEST BIKE FOR ME. Do you see the difference yet?

DJ, you've seem to found a shootout where the ZX6r wins. Yea for you. Here's some more: Roadracing world also named the ZX6r #1, followed by the R6, T.W.O. named the 600RR best, Performance Biker named 600RR best, and yes, Motorcyclist and Sportrider named the R6 the best.

You seem to be hung up on the fact the 636 is the best bike in the 600 class based on your previous boasts about it's power. If you really want to get technical, the 636 should be in a class by itself and the ZX6RR should be the bike tested against these others.

BTW, is there a reason this thread is running here and the gen. discussion forum?

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
I think his point is in most reviews, the 6R beats the R6, even if it is not the 6R on top overall, it still beats the R6.

I agree you cant just go by shootouts, but its gotta be something you look at.
Before I got my 02 6R I looked at R6's and F4i's, but I didn't like the Honda much and the R6's are notorious for heaving nervous front ends that like to fold up going hard into corners, so that turned me off right away.

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
49 Posts
That was my dilemma, 636 or CBR-RR?
The reasons for my 03 636 were...

+37 cc
Inverted forks
Radial mounted brakes
Instrument gauge
- Clock
- Lap Timer
- Programmable shift light
More power
Less weight
Price $$$
and it looks like nothing else... except maybe for a shark!

edward

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Originally posted by scootergmc

Like I said IMO the R6 is the best 600. Like I said, nobody Has Anything bad to say about the R6. Who cares who wins a magazine shootout? Obviously you. It's about what we like as individual riders. I'll say it again. IMO the R6 is the best all-around 600. And the 636 is the BEST BIKE FOR ME. Do you see the difference yet?

DJ, you've seem to found a shootout where the ZX6r wins. Yea for you. Here's some more: Roadracing world also named the ZX6r #1, followed by the R6, T.W.O. named the 600RR best, Performance Biker named 600RR best, and yes, Motorcyclist and Sportrider named the R6 the best.

You seem to be hung up on the fact the 636 is the best bike in the 600 class based on your previous boasts about it's power. If you really want to get technical, the 636 should be in a class by itself and the ZX6RR should be the bike tested against these others.

BTW, is there a reason this thread is running here and the gen. discussion forum?
Hmmmm, you've twisted around my sentiments a fair bit. I think there's way more to it than you are quoting me. I don't base any judgements on ONE shootout. I'm basing it on a WHOLE BUNCH OF SHOOTOUTS since I haven't had the pleasure of riding a 2003 R6 yet. I'm not saying the 636 is a better bike because Superbike Magazine says so, I'm saying it because Superbike, Fast Bikes, Performance Bikes, Motorcycle News, Motorcycle Daily, BIKE, Ride, T.W.O., MCO, RoadRacing World, and more say so. I'm saying that because pro testers generally feel the 6R is on par with or outhandles the R6, and since the power on the 636 is undisputedly the king of the class, because it outstops almost any other bike on the road, and because in my very humble opinion it looks better in every way, has more high-tech race parts than the other 600's and for probably the lowest price of any other 600, I think the 636 is the better bike. On top of that, there were several shootouts that placed the R6 last of the big 4, none placed the Kawasaki there. That's why I was asking why you figured the R6 was the best.

You say nobody says anything bad about the R6. Well, in a way, I'll agree... most reviews have said ALL the new 600's are great, not a "loser" in the bunch. However, how about T.W.O. saying "The R6 is a letdown. The motor is very revvy, although some will like this, and it isn't different enough to the old model to be special." Or Superbike saying "Next is the Yamaha R6 in a disappointing fourth place... But it seemed overshadowed by tricker, fresher looking bikes. In the last analysis it's only the third fastest engine and the third best chassis but it's not going to take third overall." MCN complained of a lack of midrange making the R6 have to work harder to keep up.

I'll also disagree that the 6RR should be the Kawasaki for the shootouts. It's a limited production bike created as a platform for a race kit bike for racing purposes. The 636 is Kawasaki's mass-production 600 class sportbike to compete with the R6 and others.

Didn't mean to sound "snotty" with you when I questioned why you say that the R6 is the best 600. You say I'm basing my opinion on one shootout, I say I'm basing it on MANY reviews and shootouts, since again I haven't had a ride on the R6 yet. That and the fact that I quite frankly don't get excited by the looks of the R6. I just asked what you are basing YOUR opinions on... two shootouts? I bought the 636 because of the way it looked, because of the trick goodies, and because what the reviews have liked about the bike are the main things I look for in a bike, specifically being razor-sharp and having more ooomph than the other 600's. What in your opinion makes the R6 the "best 600" is all I was asking... and outside of saying "nobody has anything bad to say" about the R6, you haven't really said anything specific about why. You could argue the same for the RR Honda, for the Kawasaki, and for the Suzuki too. I just wanted you to discuss your opinion. You certainly don't have to. I will definitely agree that the best bike for ANYBODY is the one that they like the best when they're out riding it...

By the way, this topic is posted in both forums because JungleJim posted in both, and it was responded to in both forums before we could narrow it to one... no biggie...

·
Registered
349 Posts
DJ, it's been fun[B)] and I didn't mean to sound rude either.

And as of today I can say I've ridden every one except the CBR600RR.
IMO, the R6 is the easiest to ride. It felt the most stable through the corners with minimum suspension adjustment. As far as the motors go, and even though I own one, I don't think the 636 should be included in these shootouts. Granted, and I agree, Kawi did design it to compete on the showroom floors with the other 600s. But the 6rr should be the bike they pit against the others in the '600' class, then throw in the 636 as an extra token like they do with the Triumphs[:p]. Even though the 6rr is a "limited edition" to meet homologation requirements, it still is designed to compete with the other three in a supersport class. Therefore, it should be compared.

IMO, the 636 is not as comfy as the R6, nor is the suspension as good (out-of-the-crate). The motor is definitely a huge difference, as the R6 feels slower ridden back to back with the 636. The brakes on the 636 have the ultimate stopping power. And the 636 tranny has issues (at least mine does, I'm hoping it's still breaking in).

I've found most mags do track-focused testing. I do like the Sportrider test as they do both street and track and seem to be fair about it. As senior ed Kunitsugu puts it,
"The new R6 simply shows what a lightweight, well-set-up chassis and suspension will do for a sportbike. it may not have the strongest motory, you the Yamaha's fantastic balance of light weight, spot-on suspension rates, and agile-but-stable sterering manners let it make the most of what it has. And do it with far less effort at all the controls than the others."
I guess it all depends on what mags you want to listen to. I own the 636 adn just making a case for the R6. I'm not trying to confuse anyone here. If I keep going, I'll be saying the F4i is the best 600.

But back to the main point of this thread, I'd still get the 636 over the CBR.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Fair enough, and well said. Got a buddy picking up his RR Honda very soon (although he was close to taking back his money and buying the Kawasaki since he's already missed a TON of good riding weather waiting on the damn Honda)... should be fun to get a leg over it and compare. And like I said, there isn't a bad bike in the class this year, ya gotta just pick the one that turns yer crank and be happy...

But I'm sure the 2004 Gixxer is gonna rewrite the rulebooks again anyway. You can't stay ahead in the 600 class for long.

·
Premium Member
8,191 Posts
I dont think they should be using the 6RR for shootouts, as DJ said it's limited production and was only built for racing. It was not designed to compete with the other 600's for us non-racers at all. Thats why they made 2. One dominates on the street, and one will dominate on the track, but only after the race kit is put on.

Consumers will be buying the 6R for the vast majority of us, so thats the one you use in the tests.

-=Welcome To Canada=-

2002 Green 6R
1986 Gixxer 7/11

·
Registered
6 Posts
I rode the new CBR and it is VERY nice. If you have to choose between the new Honda and the new 636, you`re in an enviable position! You can`t go wrong. There is no bad choice. All of this year`s Supersports (with the exeption of maybe the GXR) are top drawer.

Why the Kwak? 36 extra cubes.....if that`s not enough, you have the inverted front end and trick radial stoppers and the most aggressive riding position. And it`s a Ninja.....

Why the Honda? Trick rear suspension that improves the already incredibly solid handling, and that awesome underseat can. And it`s a Honda....

Total respect to both....

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I'm really not sold on the undertail Honda exhaust for a few reasons. First of all, I still am not convinced it looks better. In fact, even in race trim, it doesn't get me going like so many people seem to. Second, you can't install a fender eliminator, since you HAVE to mount a plate somewhere, and it HAS to be below exhaust on the Honda, which means you won't be able to get that clean, smooth and racy undertail look like you can with the other 600's. Lastly, for show, it's hard to tell you have a $1500 full-ti pipe when it's all being hidden by Honda plastic. Cosmetic things I know, but I'm just not sold. I'll take the side-mount pipe.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Well, this one is fairly simple for me. Draw a vertical line through the swingarm pivot point. Everything ahead of that line (including the engine) is better on the Kawi. Everything back of that line is better on the Honda. Maybe someone can work on swapping the subframe and swingarm from the 600RR onto the 6R... :D

-2000 ZX-6R.....

·
Registered
156 Posts
I did not rely on the reviews. I rode the 600s (5 if you count the 2002 and 2003 6R) and simply bought the 02. Everyone's tastes are subjective, as are their ability to accelerate.

So, you gotta love the Kawi!

Brucelee
2002 6R Chrome Yellow

"It is the art of fighting, without fighting!"

·
Registered
81 Posts
At the begining of 2003 "I" was in the envious position of being able to buy any bike on the market, "I" checked out the lot "myself" and did not read one magazine test because as we all know money talks. After much legwork "I" decided on the 036R because it suited """ME""" the best.
If your into public opinion become a politician!

Oh and no one else has Green.

Confidence and Ability should not be Confused

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.