Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
I just wish I hadn't been eating my breakfast while surfing through those pics. I hope the guy is OK. I know I've done my share of riding in inappropriate attire. Notice, that's past tense. Years ago I decided that I was pushing my luck and starting wearing the right kind of gear. Bear in mind that won't save me either. It just means I can have an open casket.

Diirk
'99 ZX6R
'02 Raptor
'01 Wolverine
'87 Radian

·
Registered
59 Posts
I guess he had one of those anti gravel rash injections to be riding with so little protection, i know i summer it's really shitty wearing all the gear but if you fall off you don't end up looking like the poor blokes in those pictures.

FTP

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
the couple times I got off my bike at speed, I was soo glad I was wearing proper gear...

heck, I lowsided my zx-6r at the begining of a group ride, slid like 15 feet, got up, dusted my self off, picked up the broken plastic and continued to ride thanks to gear!!!!

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Im sorry but I do not believe in wearin gear like that. My cousin has asthma and cannot wear clothes like that in the humidity we sometimes get. What should he do not ride? The way i see it is if u arent willing to deal with the reprocussions of riding take a fockn hike. Christopher Reeves is a parapalegic cause of horse back riding, should people where seatbelts on horses? lol. I dont mind those new jackets wit some of the body armor wit the carbon kevlar, but when i see anyone dressed wit boots and pants and what not u look like a you have the down sundrom out there man. No offense but cmon bro ur not racin the amea here. Be normal and be ready to deal wit any of the responability's that come with riding a bike.... Just my opinion..

Dont be afraid Ta be Different..

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
It's a compromise. I ride to work so I can't show up looking like a power ranger. It is also hot here most of the time so I have to choose between hyperthermia and road rash. The interesting thing is there was a study on what gear is most likely to prevent serious injury. First helmet, next boots, then pants last jacket. The study was also skeptical of the utility of armor in jackets and pants saying that jackets and pants were only able to prevent abrasion injuries and that thick leather did that best.

·
Registered
93 Posts
All I can say is damn! More scary to me in a way because I am new to riding and bought a ZX6 as my first bike. I was going to do a lot of mods to it this winter but now I think I'll just mod me.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.......yeah right!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
swjohnsey...
Do you remember where you read about that study. It makes a certain amount of sense. And you're right, gear only really protects against abrasion, since my jacket is fine and I'm recovering from a broken collar bone. But I can say that my glove saved me from some potentially broken knuckles, based on the gouges in the CF knuckle guard on my gloves.

Diirk
'99 ZX6R
'02 Raptor
'01 Wolverine
'87 Radian

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I'll try and relocate the study. I think it was done in Australia by someone associated with Australian motorcycle cops. It dealt primarily with injury patterns in motorcycle accidents I believe.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I can say that there is some truth to the Jacket not preventing all things but I must say my jacket kept me from having the scarring I have all over my legs from just riding with jeans on. I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket (my second one now) and it kept my arms and upper body from any scarring that may have happened. Although I didn't expect it to keep all my bones from breaking. Take it from me, GEAR WORKS! I spent the summer recovering from having everything but my arms and legs broken. This includes having C7 Vertebrea replaced with titanium and waking up with a halo screwed into my head, an external fixator in my pelvis, traction in my right leg, and a back brace for my broken spine. True that gear can't prevent all things that happen, but if you can walk away from it it will leave you without those lovely roadrash scars (which one of my friends will live the rest of his life with from not wearing a jacket or gloves). Sorry for the rant, I just believe wearing gear saved me from a lot worse fate.

Ken

Yellow '02 R

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ken Yellow 02 your the first person I know that "got off' wearing the Phoenix Jacket. How well did it hold up? How fast were you going? Low side or high side? I own the Atomic, and rode with it all last summer but on those 90+ days I sure wished for something else (I actually didn't ride on any days over 95 because I refuse to only wear shorts).

We be ridin' Ninja 600's never Harleys kid

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sled Dog - I have been in 2 off's w/my Phoenix jacket. The first time I was cutoff by this idiot and ran right into his car's rear quarter panel. Did a diving roll and no slide. The right shoulder padding saved me from a possible broken shoulder blade.

2nd time though I fell on my bike's right side sliding 40-45. Man, that polyester-mesh ripped right through and the forearm padding on my right arm shifted so I ended up scraping/burning a quarter sized hole 1/2 an inch before the tip of my elbow. Had to have the burned skin cut-off and rearranged.

Something is better than nothing - I'm not knocking the Phoenix at all but that mesh can't handle a slide on asphalt. I am going to go for a vented leather jacket for warm weather riding to replace it.
Dress for the slide, not just the ride!

"It's not the size of the Gun but the caliber of the Bullet that makes the biggest hole!" -SDF

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I got off recently doin' about 50 mph wearing a '60s Cooper cafe racer jacket. The leather was about 1 mm thick but it didn't eat through . . . almost but not quite. The guys that make the Draggin Jeans make a pretty good ventilated all leather jacket that normally sells for about $170. They have a special on the close out, red only for $99. I bought one and it is certainly worth the price, made in Pakistan but . . . hey.

I was wearing a pair of all cotton kaki pants. Slid on asphalt on my left side for about 50 feet. It ate through the kaki but just barely. I ended up with a couple of strawberries on my knees but no blood.

I was not wearing gloves. I went down so fast my hands were on the bars until the bike departed. I was lucky. I had a couple of black marks on my palms but not even a scratch.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I didn't realize that khaki pants could stand that kind of punnishment. Where they lined with kevlar or something? What kind were they, Old Navy, Ab & Fitch? I think I want the kind you get.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.......yeah right!!

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I had a very "freak accident", I was getting off the freeway here in Las Vegas and hit the right side barrier of the offramp at a high rate of speed (I blacked out for ten days so I'm going off of witness reports). I was ejected off the bike slid across the barrier and then went over the edge of the offramp and fell 30' into a dirt pile just feet from the freeway underneath. My jacket held up well with scrapes where my arms were against the barrier. I'd probably still be able to use it if the paramedics hadn't cut it off of me. The funniest part about this to me is the fact that after I came around from the wreck the first two questions I asked were, "how is my bike?" and, "when can I ride again?". I guess it's hard to lose the bug once it's in you.

Yellow '02 R

Edited by - Ken Yellow 02 on 11/20/2002 23:17:01

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The pants were Lands End, pretty heavy, but I was surprised too. I was half afraid to pull my pants leg up and look at the damage. I have a pair of Draggin jean. They do have kevlar in the butt and knees.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I have a pair of dragon khakis, kelvar renforced just like the jeans.

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.