Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So why did you choose your 636, tell us your stories, and how you made your decisions. Here's my story

Before i bought my 04 ZX6R i drove lots of different bikes including brand new 600's from all the big 4. (mind you i bought my 04 at the end of last year) And it was the only bike that i enjoyed, it put a huge smile on my face and all the other felt bland. The GSXR felt very powerless and i just didn't like the reviews on it. I then tried a R6 and i really didnt like it at all, sure it handled and braked great but it was like a 2 stroke had to keep it revving crazy high to get any power out of it. Not for me i wanted a more of a useable power band for street riding. Then i tried the 600RR and it's seat was so uncomfortable i only took it around the block. Knew it wouldnt be any good for long distance riding. next up was the ZX6R and it was nice handled great, braked great etc. It was going to be the bike i was going to buy, untill i found a sweet deal on a 04 ZX6R. Well i took it for 2 hour ride and fell in love! It was raw, handled great, braked amazing 2 finger stoppies you felt every bump, wheelies on demand, you could throw it around through the city streets and through the twisties. I could go on forever about this bike i love. And it put the biggest smile on my face the entire time. Yes the seating position wasn't the greatest but it was the only bike i had ridden with such a fun factor that my Super Motard gave me when i drove it. OH and its still lighter and more powerful then most of the new bikes!! With a few small upgrades you can have a far more superior bike then any new ones, coupled with an experienced driver and you have a leathal weapon on and off the track!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
For me it actually was that I couldn't afford buying 04 GSX-R, which had been my dream bike for years. :D
I had been searching for a nice RGV250 for a long time too and eventually missed a real good deal. Afterwards (months) I was just browsing classifieds from the net and caught my eyes on a 636 that was a pretty good deal.

After thinking it over a couple of times I really started to love the bike and decided to go for a test ride. I had already decided that I'll buy it if it's ok. We settled about some minor things and drove her home.

Love the bike very much and after all these mods, prolly won't ever sell it... :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
i bought a new 04' yami FZ6, after about 4 months i didn't really like it. started looking at the websites for a bike, ran across the 04' zx6rr.

called my dealer and asked her if she had one. she had only one. told her to get it gassed and ready and i'd be there after work.

went in and signed the paper, dude pulled it out to the parking lot, my first time seeing it, touching it, sitting on it, i got on, cranked it and took off.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
i bought mine bc i got a good deal and that the owner had really took care of the bike and it had low miles, plus my cousin had the same identical bike in 03 new same color and i got to ride it and i was like wow this bike has some power and is fun to ride, and last these bike have there own reputation still to this day as being the fastest 600cc production bike ever made so that should tell u alot, i wish kawasaki bring the 636 back but i dont think so due to ama regulations

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
becuase it was cheap, $3500 and ran like a bat outa hell. now its not so cheap after all the mods, i could have bought a 10r lol so i did.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Went to the suzuki dealer to buy the 07 750 but they were asking too much. Asked them why are they selling it more than msrp not including shipping, then asked if they can lower the price. They didn't and got me mad so I told them stay with their bike because I was going next door to buy a bike (kawasaki dealership). So I went on and bought a used 03 636 with 2000 miles .

·
Registered
144 Posts
i learned to ride on my brother-in-law's 03 636. once i rode it, i never liked anything else. then when he was sent over seas for the service, he needed someone to take over payments and use it. so i gladly obliged. and man im glad i did. alot of miles and scratches from him and his friends practicing and all that, but hey, it gives me stuff to do cause i like DIY.

·
Registered
494 Posts
it's a Kawi 636 need we say anymore!!!
since It came out in with re modeling in 03 and didn't change till 05, it was the only bike i wanted. My bro rides an older zx7r with 9r engine and after years of helping mod his, and listening to him saying get your own. I bought the 04 with some damage ,had to order frame from Japan, swap out all parts to new frame. In 3 months I put 13,000kms on bike and now this winter i'm tearing it apart again, getting valves done, maybe cams. Other than that i've done most mods, everyone has done with common mechanical knowledge and manual.
Also all the great feed back and tips from the other proud owners of possibly the best zx6r made at that time.

It's like going to school again and learning a new language or system and making it your own ride.
I'll never get rid of my 04 636, cause i can now watch my buddies in my mirror fade away, and wait for them to catch up. and i'm not even a great rider, its the amazing bike kawi made.

engineering is great and should always be respected.
That's why I love the machine, its all mine. and rare now.

·
Registered
266 Posts
i rode a 92 zx7R for my first bike and it was fun so i looked for a 00-03 zx7R for a long time but i couldnt find one for a very good deal. i was just about to go down to seaside Oregon and pick one up but then i happened across my 04 zx6R on craigslist. really wanted to get a green kawi but when i got to the dudes place to look at it i fell in love with it. very very happy i decided to go with this bike. already had plenty of mods. very fast and handles well. i really like the mid range power. my buddys zzr600 feels like a moped compared to my bike. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
i first bought a 02 f4i cause i got it for a steal ($1000) wit less than 5000 miles. rode that for about 4 months. ended up wrapping it around a tree. so i went looking for another bike and basicly i wanted the sexest looking bike. so got on ebay and started looking at all different kinds of bikes gsxr, rr, r6, but went i laid my eyes on the 03 363 i fell in love.

03-04 636 sexest bike in the world

·
Registered
55 Posts
03-04 636 sexest bike in the world
I have to agree!!! fo sho the sexest bike alive! i got my 2003 636 over a month ago and i fall in love with it every time i turn that throttle! wish they would bring back the 636. it just simply kicks ass! fo sho!!!!!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Disclaimer: My bike is not a 636, but close enough :p

In all honesty, my dream bike was (and still is) the 03-05 R6. Granted, other than my RR, I haven't actually rode any of the other 600's, but having sat on many models from many different years, that machine just seemed to fit so well.

I happened across my 03 RR on craigslist. The original owner received 2 DUI's within a month, so the bike sat in a garage most of its life (it was rode a few times a year, but only had 1,400 miles on it at time of purchase in March of 08).

Although the extra 36cc's would be great (better midrange and top end, for sure), the slipper clutch is definitely a nice touch. Do I plan on replacing my RR with an R6? No. I love my bike. I don't care for the new ones at all. Even if I found an older model in decent condition with low miles, I'd still keep my bike. It's such a joy to ride. I have absolutely no regrets with my purchase.

Now my next bike.... Perhaps a GSXR 750, Daytona 675 or maybe an R1. But I can only speculate. Added torque would be great (you 636 guys are lucky - I hear it really does make a noticeable difference) but for now, I love riding my bike, and can't wait for the winter to pass so I can bring her back out from hibernation :D

Also, it should be noted, the 03-04 ZX-6R/RR, IMO, is one of the sexiest 600's ever produced! Aesthetically, atleast for Kawi, it was all downhill from there! The 03 was definitely a revolutionary design for Kawi. Sexy looks, light weight, and fuel injection (lets admit it, the previous Kawi 600 was WAY behind the curve - it was a heavy, out dated, carb'd pig). Not only was the competition caught up to, but arguably surpassed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
got my 03 6rr a month back just at the end of the season, was looking to upgrade from my previous 250 hyo and was lookin to get the 03/04 cbr600rr in my opinion that was the most comfortable outa all the 600ss i sat on, but then just as i was about to buy that bike i came across a 03 6rr with all the upgrades you would want (full akro, pc3 etc...) as soon as i sat and rode that beast i was instantly sold that beast could pull and in the corners is was like sex. wont be selling this bike at all this is definately a keeper!!!!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I bought my 04 636 used in June 05 with 4500 miles on it in mint shape, no dents, scratches nothing, I fell in love with the bike and rode the hell out of it for the first 2 summers pushing close to 30k on the bike within 2 summers and winters, I'm now closing in on 50k and the only reason I will never sell it is that I never have had to every do any repairs other then regular maintenance. I got almost 50k on my STOCK ORIGINAL clutch, I mean does this bike have a replaceable clutch?? lol. Ive done burnouts, wheelies, missed shifts, grinded gears, bounced it off redline at a standstill in neutral, I've watched it get backed into by a truck and dropped on the ground a few times and after all this the thing still starts up everytime and hits the redline like its brand new off the showroom floor. I would be hard pressed and amazed to see another bike go 50k without any problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts