Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the deal guys and gals....'05 ZX-6RR :). This thing runs great but has this stalling problem....when the engine temp hits about 212 the throttle will chop out a couple times and then a couple seconds later it stalls.....if I manage to get back into the throttle and feather it it will start running on 3, but quickly dies.at this point you have to wait for it to "cool" back down and dependent on how long that is is directly proportionate to how long i get to ride again[xx(]. I went and did the rediculous and replaced the fuel pump and same result also the coolant sensor has been changed. I have dissasembled the intire thing a couple times, checked all connections unsnapped and resnaped them all. I bought the bike no warranty as it was a demo bike and last years model ....yada yada yada.....I have pretty decent mechanical skills but motorcycles are a bit new to me and im still learning.....sorry about the long ass post but i was wondering if anyone else has had this happen.....I just relocated the fuel pump relay unit a little farther from the exhaust but its raining now and just not in the riding mood......sucks when your always waiting for the "break down".....any help would be appreciated..thanks in advance:D

G

·
how many miles on the bike? have u changed plugs yet? could or could not be related to ur problem. i just advice it b/c i've had not so fun experiences with bad plugs.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
changed the plugs as well and it has 4500 miles on it .
and the stick coils are pushed down really good ....thanks though i forgot to mention that....this has been such a frustrating problem and the service manual is a 70 dollar literary nightmare.....:D

G

·
sounds like something electronic/sensor,,,by the temperature at which the problem starts and the fact u have to wait for it to cool down to start it up again. im stumped now [:p]

·
Registered
393 Posts
Have you checked your stator? Could be that it's bad and not charging your battery. I had a Suzuki back in the day that kept cutting out after what I thought the engine got warm, but come to find out the stator was bad. And it seemed to always start after the engine cooled off because that gave the battery enough time to retain its charge.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Battery is fully charged.....turns over great but just wont fire.....fuel pump doesnt whir when it dies like this thats why i suspected the relay heating up but wtf.....i relocated it and i got to ride a little longer but still died same as always....i dunno getting digusted with it.

·
Registered
857 Posts
your kickstand switch could be intermitantly cutting in and out ive herd of that problem befor...is your hgiht empt lite coming on ? if not then it probly doesn't have to do witht he actual temperature justs omthing happeneing around the same time, and are your gauges going wacky at all? on an old bike i had poblem with my rectifier and the bike would cut out somtimes but then i couldn't start it after....try to emss arund witht he kcikstand trip swich maybe try wiring it so your bike alwayss ees the kcikstand as up...if it doesnt change anything just put it back to normal good luck

·
Registered
233 Posts
The vent hose from the gas tank could be pinched. If it cant vent then it will stall and then once it vents after a while it will start again fine and then stall again after a while. Giving you the perception that it is happening when it warms up. My brother had that problem and it took us forever to figure it out.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't have any problems with my bike, but yesterday when I was installing my speedo healer (when I was under the fuel tank) I noticed that my vent hose was pinched also. When my bike gets hot and is somewhat low on fuel the tanks whistles a bit from time to time. I haven't gotten a chance to get it hot/low on fuel again, but I think un kinking that hose might have done something... I'd give it a check if you haven't yet.

Edit:
Or after your bike dies, open and close the fuel door, then try to start it. If it was a venting problem, this would make it start back up I would think.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys and gals.....just an update in case ya cared.....the problem turned out to be the CDI (ECU)...evidently the solder connections inside the unit were getting hot ( the cdi actualy got wicked hot and then it would cut spark to the engine....just figured someone might wanna know incase it happens to them.....good luck with it fellas....oh and by the way the 636 computer works on the RR way better then the RR onw ever did....dunno why but there is definetly a difference in power....anyway i got the thang off ebay for 100 bills instead of the 800 kawi wanted for the factory unit.........until next time ....sooooo happy to be back on green baby!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
the gas tank is pumpning the fuel thats what it is it hapens when u just turn on the bike right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.