Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from what ive read, 94-97 are the best years to use, but will a 98 zx9 motor bolt up in my 97. i know i need to get a kit that relocates the oil lines or something, and i know you have to grind down one of the motor mounts, but do i have to do anything differently to use a 98? i would be buying the motor, wiring harness, carbs, etc etc. let me know. thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah, you'd have to cut your frame apart and have it modified to fit the 98 motor. The 98 is a completely different motor, all the mounts are different, it's physically wider, etc.

Not saying it couldn't be done, just that it is into the realm of heavy modification ($$$). If you were committed to something like that, then a 10R motor would be the way to go! :eek:

·
Registered
470 Posts
I agree with the 10r motor- heavy mods, and unless you have a 'buddy' at a machine shop, your going to end up with a pile of junk- also if your going to build this, realize you are pretty much going to own this forever, as it will be worth little to others- not wanting to rain on your parade, but I have never seen a custom get more than .10 on the dollar, when it comes to selling it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The ZX9R C model will not fit and is not worth it anyways, Factory Pro claims they can, (through tuning), push more power from the B model than the 98+ ZX9R C model engine. Also the B model transmission is far superior.

The first generation ten motor is not a fit. The heads will clear but the rear block does not clear the frame. I have tried that already.

I have not tried the second generation ten motor and to be honest the ZX10R motor is no longer sufficient, because of the ZX14.

I am going to try a ZX14R engine. Minor mods are no problem, I plan to strengthen the frame anyhow.

I also plan on running stock bodywork paint and everything else.

Sleeper all the way!!

Imagine it, a bone stock (looking) 93 ZX-7R same weight as stock with close to 200 HP.

It will weigh a bit less than the ZX14R

Handle like the ZX-7R

And smoke Busa's all day long. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
would a 97 engine work in it? the kit from bgr says up to a 96 will fit but isnt a 97 still the b model

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
is there a 9r motor that will swap into an 01 7r without heavy modifications??

·
Registered
7 Posts
ZX9R Motor

I am fortunate enough to live only a few minutes away from Factory Pro's R&D repair shop and Raul and Otto made my stock 99 ZX7R run faster and smoother than most newer bikes I have been on. Please give Mark the owner a call or the repair shop on advice on more reliable power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts