Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting tired of the one headlight low-beam thing. At night when I ride everyone thinkings my right bulb burned out. It's embarrassing. I'm thinking about going to the dealership and asking one of the mechanics to wire the lighting so that both lights go on when in low-beam. And maybe so that both lights shine bright in high-beam.

Will I need new bulbs for this?

thx

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Originally posted by Latin Ninja
I'm getting tired of the one headlight low-beam thing. At night when I ride everyone thinkings my right bulb burned out. It's embarrassing.

when someone says "ur headlights out" i say "aw man, not again"

i dont care what others think about it, but i do like the look of the dual headlights burning.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
There's a how-to on how to do that mod yourself, but yea I think a dealer would do that for you. I think most dealers don't care about cosmetic mods - at least mine doesn't. My dealer actually helped me install my integrated rear turn signals. And they never say anything about my other cosmestic mods when I bring it in for work.

Performance mods they might not help out with but I'm sure they'd do headlights for you. But there is a how-to on this forum to do that.

http://www.KawiForums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25505

·
Registered
703 Posts
........put the low/high switch to high so you have both lights on. re aim your lights so they are both at same "height". you do not want the high beam light to be up and to the side.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yeah when i did my dual headlight mod that was the best thing i did. even in the daytime i had people tell me my headlight was out.
its not very hard to do, just take you're time and have patients.
when i did mine, when i pulled out the old wires in the headlight assembly i tied a string on them so i could pull the new wires through alot easier. i think alot of people dont think to do that but it will make life ALOT easier.:D

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,445 Posts
Um...why is it embarassing for YOU to have someone else stick their foot up their ass and tell you your headlight's out? When they do it to me, I either flash my highs at them, or say "Thank you" and carry on what I was doing. It's really not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
734 Posts
my dealer said they wouldn't mind putting on some profactory case covers for me, and the warranty will still be intact, as long as the covers don't cause the problem.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I dont think i've ever ridden without my high beams on.

Though when i had my 2001 zx-7r i spent $300 to import a UK headlight just to get the one headlight trick (plus the projector beam).

Id rather annoy the people in front of me than die because the jackass coming the other way didnt see me and decided to try and pass across the double.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I leave my highs on all the time as well. I've never had anyone seemingly complain while oncoming in a car or anything like that, and I figure its easier to see me, day or night, with both on. The upside is I never get the annoying "hey one of your lights is burned out" statement anymore.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I was going to post a thread asking if youall ride with your highs on all the time. So yea you do. i will start that too. my dad was like turn your lights on only ones on. "ITs on dad" Yea
I will leave it on all the time too.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
i ride around with my high beams on all the time. only time i dim them is when someone flashes me. and to the op, i think they will do minimal mods to bikes.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Can the conversion be done...yes, but it not as simple as just wiring stuff up per say. If you still want a true high and low beam system it will need completely different bulbs as the 636 and 10r use a single filament bulb and you need a dual element bulb.

Bikes that use a dual element bulb also have a different design on the reflector/difusser and also have a couple of extra relays.

The bulbs on the 636 are the same for both sides, part of the reason the low beam is not as bright has a little to do with beam adjustment, but the low beam side gets less voltage than the high beam side causing the low beam to be not as bright. I found this out by accident with my 636 one day.

I dont worry about it much. If it bugs you that much run with the high beam on. I try to ride on the aggressive side and tend to not trust any driver and always assume they are going to make the wrong move when I am riding around them. Help you make sure you keep a exit at all times.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Originally posted by climb21cj
i think you need a little box or something to do that, and the dealership probly will do it for one arm, or a leg, ur choice.

well, here someone did the mod themselves:

http://www.KawiForums.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52792

but i think a company in the UK sells a kit that makes it real easy.

ah, here it is: http://www.veiligmotorrijden.com/

this is the thread i found the link in:
http://www.riderforums.com/showthread.php?t=17952&highlight=dual+burn
this is the one from "veiligmotorrijden.com" ~safelymotorcycling dot com (for translation)

quite easy, you have to cut the highbeam wire and reroute it to the tiny device .. and attach two (from your dim lights) to two other wires, which makes four.

if you don't like it, you can re-attach the cut high-beam wire to each other (plugs) and disconnect the device.

nb.
funny, I was looking for this link some days ago on this forum [|)]

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt
Um...why is it embarassing for YOU to have someone else stick their foot up their ass and tell you your headlight's out? When they do it to me, I either flash my highs at them, or say "Thank you" and carry on what I was doing. It's really not that big of a deal.
I got a smile from reading this old comment.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt
[:+1] Who gives a f**k if they think you have a light out. If they're saying that then they don't even know enough about bikes to even have an intelligent conversation about them. Personally, I've only ever been asked about it once, and I just said that's the way they are. I got more important things to worry about than if peeps think my headlight is out.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think the bike looks sphisticated with one headlight, two is so "same old same old", I like the reaction I get when people look at my one headlight... Its a passionate thing when someone on the street actually know whats going on. I remember before I had my ninja, (I had wanted to buy one for about 5 years), me and my girlfriend was in the car and a bike came up from behind and she said, look, his one headlight is dead.... I just smiled and said....its supposed to be like that... It felt good knowing that in a funny and strange manner...

Not making sense I guesse :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.