Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry for the repost but figured i might get a better response if the topic was more precise.

ok on our bikes we have a carburator heating system, which sends hot cooling fluid thru the carburator assembly. i think this system is in place to keep the carbs from freezing up in very cold conditions.
but in my case i live in florida so its always hot and i dont know of too many of us that like to go ride in freezing weather anyways.

so i have a few questions im hoping you all can help me answer.
1- if not to keep the carbs from freezing then why do we have the heating system?
2- would eliminating the heating system help to increase normal operating power since the carbs and airbox would have less heat. so the incoming air would be cooler and more dense. what do you think?

heres a pic of the hoses im talking about.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
(originally posted by Trashmonkey) well with wind chill does it technincally have to be "freezing" outside to ice stuff up? I mean I used to ride in the mid 40's to low 50's and the carbs would act up on my old bike (ex500).

No, the carbs can ice up in cold weather without it being "freezing" (ie: 0c or 32f). I think it needs to be close to freezing, but it doesn't actually have to be that cold.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i can see how you would need it if you riding close to freezing temps.
but do you think by removeing it we would be able to gain alittle normal operating power?
besides im in florida and we only have a couple nights in the 40's at most.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I don't think any gains made would be noticeable, ie: I think they'd be really small.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Originally posted by luxuryliquidator
yeah i can see how you would need it if you riding close to freezing temps.
but do you think by removeing it we would be able to gain alittle normal operating power?
besides im in florida and we only have a couple nights in the 40's at most.
Well, i live in NORTH FL, and we have nights in the teens and 20's several times a year.

my bike acts up when its cold out if im not giving it 100%. It could be the fact that i have an old air filter (8000 miles) or the humidity

·
Registered
164 Posts
hmmm i wasnt aware of the carb heating system on these bikes, thats very interesting. i'd like to put in my 2 cents about intake heating in general and cold weather operation. I know in fuel injected cars it was always a quick trick to disconnect the heater lines coming into the throttle body and it was supposed to keep the intake charge cooler thus adding a few h.p.. as far as documented proof I have never seen any but I did like the idea of not having hot coolant circulating through the throttle body. now as far as experience in cold weather goes i used to have an en500 that i would ride in sub-freezing temps quite often. the bike had pod filters, a jet kit, and cobra exhaust. I experienced a lot of problems when first starting the bike if it was below freezing. if I could keep the bike running long enough for the engine heat to reach the carbs it ran fine but it didnt like me until it reached that point. one thing to add was that i did have pod filters and it had 20k+ miles on it as well so there are other factors to consider though. I dont think icing would be much of a problem if you warmed it up before riding it and you didnt ride much in 30 degree or lower temps. as far as if it would be beneficial to do this mod your guess is as good as mine but I dont see much in the way of problems unless you do a lot of cold weather riding. again just my 2 cents.....................

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah that kind of where i got the idea from. ive done it to a few fuel injected hondas ive had. no real proof that it helped, but the idea seems to be good. maybe ill try it out and post up if i can tell any difference.
i was just in pegion forge couple weeks ago, and you a re one lucky bastard pmkls1 the twisties are great up there

·
Registered
164 Posts
yeah there is no shortage of curvy roads around here for sure. i'd like to hear how things go if you do go through with it before i have my carbs off. more than likely i will disconnect the heating system when i take the carbs off to re-jet them. if i get to it before you i will post my results, but of course any problems more than likely wouldnt appear until winter, but i dont do much cold weather riding anymore due to it being more trouble than its worth with my current job so more than likely i wont experience many problems............

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
funny, how here in canada you would think that the carb heating device be almost manditory...but NO......

the extra heating definately is not good for HP unless it is cold out......here from the riding I do, anything 10`C or less would warrant the device.....toss it!!!

good find

Jason

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.