Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where I live it may get a little windy some days. What are your thoughts on riding in gusty 20-40mph winds? Any experiences/tips?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Underwear

Always be ready for sudden gusts. One of my first rides ever(a 99 katana, so heavy anyway) I tried opening it up and gust hit me and I about got pushed into a 12ft ditch. Needless to say I now only ride hard in heavy winds with a backup pair of underwear with me

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Always be ready for sudden gusts. One of my first rides ever(a 99 katana, so heavy anyway) I tried opening it up and gust hit me and I about got pushed into a 12ft ditch. Needless to say I now only ride hard in heavy winds with a backup pair of underwear with me

How fast were you going?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
if ur on the highway keep cars away from you. ive been in high winds on the 250 and almost been pushed into traffic.

its pry funny lookin tho when someone sees your leaning hard but your going straight.

·
Registered
618 Posts
like everyone else said, just be ready for it. and keep cars away from you. i know i got pushed into another lane before on the highway. thats about it tho

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
It's always windy in the UK.....*always* windy.

I advise against the often-repeated suggestion of bracing your body against the direction of the wind. I prefer to stay in the middle of the bike and just deal with it. If you try bracing in one direction and the winds suddenly changed on you, you're fucked.

Like everyone else said, avoid cars and especially trucks. If you have to pass an 18-wheeler, go into full tuck and speed up.

Other than that, not too much you can do. Not gonna lie, windy conditions suck ass.

·
fap-o-caster
50,488 Posts
the faster you go, the more wind force is needed to move you off your vector. Not saying to rip it, but in a pinch where you can safely, it can be done. Always watch out for sections of freeways where there is a wide open field on either side of the freeway, those are where the gusts hit you like a brick in the face. Personally I've had a gust of wind tip me over when I was turning round in a parking lot, I then went back to the house because I knew I would not have an enjoyable ride. I would rather ride in rain than high winds. I do not find either alluring actually, but I fear rain less than wind.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
BE VERY AWARE. Everytime I think the gusts are done and ride one handed, murphys law kicks and and grabs the bike. I never let off the bars when its windy now. Its not fun at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts