Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night I rode to my folks' place to get some documentation I need for my citizenship interview today (yeah, future American here :D). It was pretty windy, but I needed those papers so I said, "what the hell, I'll take it slow." Well, not fun. Most of the time I had to countersteer just to stay on a staright path :eek:. The worst part was the wind gusts from sometimes random directions. Things got pretty squirly a couple of times, but I managed to make it there and back in one piece. When I finally did get home I checked weather.com and saw that the winds in Miami were 19 mph with gusts of 27 mph. I've ridden on the highway plenty, but strong crosswinds was not something I have experienced before. i don't think the skinny tires on the 250R helped any either, but what do I know.

What are your experiences with high winds?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey what is your background. I am filipino, was adopted as a baby and actually didn't become a U.S. citzen til 1997 of my sophmore year of high shool when I started looking at getting into the military. Some U.S. military jobs, citizenship isn't required but i did it anyways. Plus I had always planned to anyways. I have now been in military 7 yrs. Actaully waited a til i was 19 to join. Hope your interview goes well, good luck!!!

And the wind thing, yea those small tires on the 250 suck in the wind. The weight isn't really a whole lot less than most 600's , but i could tell the difference when i rode a 250 and the wind was blowing. Guessing the tires too!!! :D:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the same problem with cross winds but not sure if there is an answer. I am going to a bigger tire (140). The 250 only weighs 333 lbs dry + 30 lbs fuel + your weight. Not much there compared to some of the bigger bikes.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm originally from Ecuador. I was at one point interested in joining the armed forces, but life had other plans for me. Thanks for serving.

I was already planning on picking up a set of BT-016's, so I guess they can't hurt from a stability standpoint.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
You're going to get pushed around by cross winds on any small bike and the flat profile from the Ninja's fairings act like a sail and just accentuates it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, funny I didn't see any other bikes on the road last night. I usually see at least 2-3 on those 45 minute rides.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dont take this the wrong way..... but....... If I knew there was a huge ass hurricane off the cost of my state with an average wind gust of 25 mph in FL. I would not go on a bike ride.

Good job on making it home in 1 piece tho. ftw.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Dont take this the wrong way..... but....... If I knew there was a huge ass hurricane off the cost of my state with an average wind gust of 25 mph in FL. I would not go on a bike ride.

Good job on making it home in 1 piece tho. ftw.
Ya, but we get wind gusts that high or higher weekly here. Three-four weeks ago we had one of our daily thunderstorms spit out a 70 MPH recorded wind gust.
I wouldn't have hesitated to go riding yesterday, or today even, if I had somewhere to go. It's windy, but it's beautiful out here right now.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol, I hear you, but the need was pretty urgent. My wife (has the car) was in school (college) and I needed to get my passport and resident ID card for today's interview. BTW, I take the oath next Friday :D

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I’m a daily driver here in FL and here are a few things I’ve learned that might help you
1. Stay loose, if wind starts blowing you around don't clamp down on the handle bars to try to fight it, and don't clamp your legs together to try and stabilize the bike. These things will only make it worse. Just stay loose and let the bike sway back and forth underneath you
2. I see you said you were going to take it slow because it was windy. Don’t do that. The slower you go the greater the wind will affect you. Use your forward inertia and the centrifugal motion of the wheels to keep the bike upright and from getting blown around.
3. Tuck in. if you sit straight up in your seat you're going to act like a big sail, tuck in close to the bike.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Lol, I hear you, but the need was pretty urgent. My wife (has the car) was in school (college) and I needed to get my passport and resident ID card for today's interview. BTW, I take the oath next Friday :D
Very nice. congrats!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Congratulations on the oath. That is awesome. :cheers-004:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m a daily driver here in FL and here are a few things I’ve learned that might help you
1. Stay loose, if wind starts blowing you around don't clamp down on the handle bars to try to fight it, and don't clamp your legs together to try and stabilize the bike. These things will only make it worse. Just stay loose and let the bike sway back and forth underneath you
2. I see you said you were going to take it slow because it was windy. Don’t do that. The slower you go the greater the wind will affect you. Use your forward inertia and the centrifugal motion of the wheels to keep the bike upright and from getting blown around.
3. Tuck in. if you sit straight up in your seat you're going to act like a big sail, tuck in close to the bike.
1. Tried to consciously keep my hands loose, but there were a couple of times when the gusts tightend me up. Natural reaction I guess. Didn't know about the legs though. I keep them tight to the tank the whole time. Thanks for the advice.

2. By slow I meant, 35 in a 35, lol.

3. :D yeah, I was doing that. The cagers must have been thinking I was a weirdo for being in full tuck at 35 mph, lol.

Thanks for the advice. I have been riding for 3 months but never experienced such heavy crosswinds before.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I feel more American than Ecuadorian since I have been here for more than half my life, but now it's official. Kind of like marriage :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I hear alot of people talking about how small this bike is, but go take a look at the specs of the 600's and you'll notice that it's pretty comparable in size, and the 6's only weigh like 30-40 LBS more dry...Not that much difference, so a 600 would've felt similar in those conditions too...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea Congrats on the Oath!!! Not sure on like being Married though!
Really?? I see residency kind of like having a girlfriend. If you get tired of her, you just dump her and move on. Citizenship is an OFFICIAL commitment, for better or worse; kind of like marriage. So in my way of thinking, I'm actually marrying Lady Liberty. Hope she likes young studs :D

On topic- I'll see if my best friend will lend me his 07 CBR600RR to test out that theory once the winds blow hard again...

·
Registered
67 Posts
On topic- I'll see if my best friend will lend me his 07 CBR600RR to test out that theory once the winds blow hard again...
Best rated bike right there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I experienced this yesterday where there was a total cross wind on the road I was travelling. Felt like the bike's fairings dont allow the air to cross over properly cuz thebike was being pshed quite a bit. However just a bit of gentle swaying back into it got it done.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts