Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ladies and Gents,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with something. If everything goes as plan I will be getting a 09 250r and it would be great because I have always wanted a bike. The bad thing about it all is that here in NY its about to be that time we’ll start getting snow (at least where I live). So I’m basically buying my bike and then putting straight into storage which really sucks lol. I may get some rides depending when my dealer will receive them and if everything goes as plan. My question is what is the proper way to maintain the bike over the winter and have no problems when march comes around and I can turn it on again. Since the 08 250r are fairly new I know many haven’t experience a winter with them yet, but if the process is the same for all bikes I would appreciate if someone can help me prepare for it. I'm asking since I have that the 09 is basically the same bike as the 08 so I would know exactly what to do with the 250r.

Thank you in advance…

(I did my best to look through the forum for a similar thread but couldn’t find one, but if there is another one out there sorry for this long post lol and if possible please direct me to that thread)

·
Registered
647 Posts
I was told as long you run it every week ina half to two weeks for a 10mins it should be fine. If you have heated storage that is a plus. Just dont let it sit there all winter looking purrty. And make sure you have a bike before you start asking other questions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
And make sure you have a bike before you start asking other questions.

why is that necessary? why cant us w/o bikes, that are planning to get bikes, ask questions? are we not allowed to plan ahead?

edit: sorry dont know anything about winter. its hot 9-11 months a yr here. if i knew id help ya. :) gl

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Don't just start it for a couple minutes and turn it off. That is worse for the bike. Ride it around once every coupla weeks and you should be good.
edit. the correct thing to do would be to put fuel stabilizer in it and put a battery tender on it. A personal worry of mine is flat spotting of the tires from sitting, so I would also put it on stands if you have them.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I always change the oil, hook up the battery tender, and put Stabil in the gas tank (I cannot stress how important it is that you use stabil, old gas can be corrosive and not only bad for the injectors but can rust the inside of your tank, which happened to my SV650).

·
Registered
19 Posts
I always change the oil, hook up the battery tender, and put Stabil in the gas tank (I cannot stress how important it is that you use stabil, old gas can be corrosive and not only bad for the injectors but can rust the inside of your tank, which happened to my SV650).
Why change the oil, if:

- the bike won't be ran all winter.

- the oil will be changed in the spring anyway.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Last year I just filled up the gas tank and put in some fuel stabilizer. Then I disconnected the battery and most importantly.. threw a cover on the bike. Why is it so important to put on the cover? So you wont be tempted to crank it up on those freakishly warm days in the middle of the winter.

In the spring hook up the battery tender. When the light turns green connect the bike to the battery and start it up. Take it in for an oil change and your good to go.

·
Powerhungry
38,146 Posts
Why change the oil, if:

- the bike won't be ran all winter.

- the oil will be changed in the spring anyway.
shit...i cant thing of the right word...
but as the engine is running, you are getting SOME blow-by, past the rings.

it gets into the oil, as well as moisture collecting after its ran, you really dont want that sitting in the bike all winter.

thats part of the reason i said dont run it, unless u can get it fully up to temp. as it will help burn off some of that moisture.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
most importantly.. threw a cover on the bike. Why is it so important to put on the cover? So you wont be tempted to crank it up on those freakishly warm days in the middle of the winter.
This is the reason why I don't winterize my bike. The most I've ever gone in the 3 plus years of having my bike without riding is maybe a month and a half once maybe. Otherwise once every 3 weeks or so in the winter is the norm.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Oops I actually changed th oil before I winterized it. Before I put in the fuel I stabalizer I ran the engine to burn off a much gas as possible, then added a fresh tank, and then added the stabil.

Here is what the manual for a 07 ZX-6R calls for. I'm pretty sure it'll be the same for a 250.

Preparation for storage
-clean the vehicle thoroughly.
-run the engine for 5 minutes to warm the oil, shut it off, and drain the engine oil.
-Put in fresh oil.
-empty the fuel from the fuel tank by the pump or siphon.
-empty the fuel system by running the engine at idle speed until the engine stalls (if left for a long time, the fuel will break down and could clog the fuel system).
-Reduce tire pressure by about 20%.
-set the motorcycle on a box or stand so that both wheels are raised off the ground )if this can not be done, put boards under the front and rear wheels to keep dampness away from the tire rubber.
-spray oil on all unpainted metal surfaces to prevent rusting. Avoid getting oil on rubber parts or in the brakes.
-lubricate the drive chain and all the cables.
-remove the battery, ans store it where it will not be exposed to direct sunlight, moisture, or freezing temperatures. During storage it should be given a slow charge (one amp or less) about once a month. Keep the battery well charged especially during cold weather.
-tie plastics bags over the mufflers to prevent moisture from entering.
-put a cover over the motorcycle to keep dust and dirt from collecting on it.

Preparation after storage-
-remove the plastic bags from the mufflers.
-install the battery in the motorcycle and charge the battery if necessary.
-fill the fuel tank.
-check all points listed in the daily safety checks section.
-lubricate the pivots, bolt, and nuts.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I was told as long you run it every week ina half to two weeks for a 10mins it should be fine. If you have heated storage that is a plus. Just dont let it sit there all winter looking purrty. And make sure you have a bike before you start asking other questions.
Heated storage a plus? I'd say if he doesn't have heated storage it's going to be pretty damn impossible to start a frozen bike in NY in the freakin' dead of winter. :eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
shit...i cant thing of the right word...
but as the engine is running, you are getting SOME blow-by, past the rings.

it gets into the oil, as well as moisture collecting after its ran, you really dont want that sitting in the bike all winter.

thats part of the reason i said dont run it, unless u can get it fully up to temp. as it will help burn off some of that moisture.

Hmmm.....where would moisture be collecting ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
in the oil. It's best to change the oil the last thing before storage and the first thing when bringing it out for this reason.

but before changing the oil for the last time, run the bike with the gas off and let the bike die by the bike using up all the fuel in the carbs. that way, you won't have gas in the carbs to varnish up over he winter. I do the same to the emergency generator I store.

I would also say to fill the gas tank full and put stabilizer in it. when bringing it back out, drain all the gas and stabilizer and discard or use it in the lawn mower. Moisture will collect in an empty tank and you will end up with rust on the inside of the tank.
That's my point; if the bike isn't going to be run, and the oil is going to be changed first thing in the spring, why does it matter if there is moisture in the oil ?

It can't harm anything sitting in the crankcase ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
oil contains acids and other impurities after it has been run in an engine. If left in for months, it could damage the engine. this is the standard recommendation, not only in motorcycles, but in car storage as well.

look at my location. :) I do not store my vehicles for the winter, but have read a lot on procedures of people that have.
Np, I've just always wondered about this recommendation. Never done it myself, and never had any problems not doing it.

Think about it; if you run the engine, drain out the old oil, put in new, and don't run the engine again.

The old oil is still the oil leaving film on the internal parts, (even after draining) as the new oil hasn't circulated yet, because the engine hasn't been run with it in it. Only the crankcase has seen the new oil. Uncirculated.
So, if the old oil sits on the internals all winter anyway (film), it sure wouldn't seem to hurt anything sitting in the crankcase either :)

Or at least not doing anything it wasn't doing elsewhere; after all, the crankcase holds some important parts too :)

Anyway, no big deal. Just always been curious about this one.

p.s. I live in northern Minnesota :)

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
thats funny cuz i live in NY.. and i start my bike in the winter all the time. and ride it to. but.. i guess other new yorkers must have problems
Hard core, eh? Do you use dry-gas to keep the lines from freezing? You obviously don't own a 2008 Ninja 250. The OP says he's getting a 2009 and if it's anything like my 2008 it's so cold-blooded it barely wants to start at anything below 50 degrees. :Laughing:

·
Powerhungry
38,146 Posts
WHAT.. are you talking about?

this is a forum.. a way to learn as much as you can.. while you have a bike, or before you get one. he can ask all the questions he wants even if all hes got right now is a fuckin tricycle.

ANYway.

dont heat the bike up for a few minutes then turn it off.. the more heat cycling you do the worse it is.. i personally do not use stabil or a battery tender.. i run the tank empty if i can.. and change the oil right before i put it away.. and get it off the ground.. its an 09.. you should be alright
you actually want the fuel tank FULL. there is moisture in air. with the tank full, there lesss air/less moisture.

Np, I've just always wondered about this recommendation. Never done it myself, and never had any problems not doing it.

Think about it; if you run the engine, drain out the old oil, put in new, and don't run the engine again.

The old oil is still the oil leaving film on the internal parts, (even after draining) as the new oil hasn't circulated yet, because the engine hasn't been run with it in it. Only the crankcase has seen the new oil. Uncirculated.
So, if the old oil sits on the internals all winter anyway (film), it sure wouldn't seem to hurt anything sitting in the crankcase either :)

Or at least not doing anything it wasn't doing elsewhere; after all, the crankcase holds some important parts too :)

Anyway, no big deal. Just always been curious about this one.

p.s. I live in northern Minnesota :)
well, you def need to start it, after changing it. running it for a few minutes wont hurt anything. its the old, ran in oil, that can be a problem.

altho...ive never really been a stickler about changing it before the winter..or after in the spring...:dunno: just telling what IS recommended...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts