Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to put her away, Im wondering if anyone has or knows about putting car motor oil in the crank case like a 5-w30 or whatever is on sale instead of bike motor oil 10-40, will it cause any prblems or will it be ok in there for the winter, it will not be turned over or started at all over the winter and will swap it back out for the semi-synth that i normally run in it when I get it ready for the summer..

your input would be great,

TY

·
Registered
875 Posts
Originally posted by scrumble
i'd suggest starting it up every once in a while. it's not good for a bike to just sit for that long.
Sorry, but I have to disagree unless you will take it out for a ride to at least get it up to normal operating temp when you start it. Otherwise you will just cause condensation in the engine that won't be burnt off due to it not getting up to temp. That is more harmful than it sitting.

·
Registered
2002 ZX6R
26,947 Posts
dino oil is fine. (make sure it does NOT say energy conserving on the little round label)What I normally do is change the oil with el cheapo oil run the bike to let the oil flow through then let it sit. All the metal shavings will ride that new oil right down to the oil pan. Change the oil before starting the bike for the first time and away goes those shavings.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah I still stay away from car oils (energy conserving)when I do my final oil change of the season. Actually I just did mine today. I used the Canadian Tire Motomaster 10w-40 motorcyle oil, it's only $3 a liter. For the sake of a few extra bucks, definitely use the MC oil.
And I wouldn't be starting it until you are ready to ride in the spring because of the condensation build up like Made Mike mentioned.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thing, should I over fill it right up to the cap and that way there is no moisture in the engine or is it fine with the 4 ltrs?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Originally posted by Big Will
Another thing, should I over fill it right up to the cap and that way there is no moisture in the engine or is it fine with the 4 ltrs?
I just do a 4L change but I know of guys that fill the crankcase to the cap. You just have to make sure you remember next spring to change the oil first before you turn it over.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Change oil
Remove battery

Compustion leads to raised acidity levels in engine oil, change it out then don't start it

·
Registered
419 Posts
Originally posted by Mad Mike

Sorry, but I have to disagree unless you will take it out for a ride to at least get it up to normal operating temp when you start it. Otherwise you will just cause condensation in the engine that won't be burnt off due to it not getting up to temp. That is more harmful than it sitting.
i'm not saying just let it sit there. but every time i've let my bike just sit for a long period of time (or anything on two wheels i've owned), it winds up giving me problems later on. i try to keep everything ridden periodically.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You're in Texas so it wouldn't be as much of an issue for you than folks further north. My bike usually sits for about three solid months before I'm back on the road in the spring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.