Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be the best way to go about wiring a phone charger to my bike?

No, I'm not interested in buying a 12v adapter or any of that shit...I simply want to wire the phone charger directly into the bike (battery, fuse box, whatever's safe)...I don't know much about wiring so any help is appreciated

· Registered
302 Posts
Phone charger runs on AC power. Bike runs on DC power. Just buy a car charger for the bike and a 12V power socket. The socket can connect directly to the battery, or negative to battery and positive to a fuse in the fuse box. Plug it in. Done.

Not sure why you are so against a 12V power socket. They are dirt cheap. You can buy one at Radio Shack for about $8.00

· Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phone charger runs on AC power. Bike runs on DC power. Just buy a car charger for the bike and a 12V power socket. The socket can connect directly to the battery, or negative to battery and positive to a fuse in the fuse box. Plug it in. Done.

Not sure why you are so against a 12V power socket. They are dirt cheap. You can buy one at Radio Shack for about $8.00
I'm not against it - I just wanted to go do it right now to ride and listen to music through my phone since i don't have my ipod with me - also I already have extra wall chargers and not an extra car charger and i'm a broke college student - thanks though

· Registered
302 Posts
There's no affordable way i know of to get around the 12V socket. You would have to buy a DC to AC inverter and splice the power cord to the battery. Then you could plug your regular charger into the inverter. But the inverter will cost about 3-4 times as much as a Radio Shack 12V Socket. Plus inverters are kinda large and i think they draw a lot of juice. Your battery may not charge sufficiently with an inverter connected. Here's a link to an inverter: Cobra CPI 480 DC to AC power inverter - 400 Watt

I DO NOT recommend this. Notice that there's a fan on it for cooling. Probably wouldn't work too good under your seat.

· Registered
5,288 Posts
Wire the 12V socket through a relay called by an ignition switched circuit. If you leave the 'phone charger plugged into the 12V socket all the time it will still draw current and eventually flatten the battery unless the socket is switched off.

As you will inevitably use (even if you say you won't) the socket for something high powered at some time, wire the relay, a line fuse and the socket on new wiring direct from the battery. Use the horn or tail light circuit to call the relay. The socket will then be dead when the ignition is switched off.

If you are twisted enough to really want to use your mains 'phone charger you'll need to install an inverter - wire it as I've described for the 12V socket. Connect the inverter output to a standard mains plug for your charger to plug in to. Be careful to ensure that all the output side of the inverter is fully isolated from the bike's electrics and frame or you'll fry all the electronics. As inverters are not particularly efficient you'll probably flatten the battery all the time. Ensure all the mains voltage components are fully protected agains any possibility of coming into contact with water or moisture. This option is not a good idea.

If you can't afford, or can't be bothered to do the job properly, don't do it at all, and save yourself from the distraction of having music interfere with your concentration.

Rob

· Registered
265 Posts
Easiest way is the first way williamr described. I used a 12v accessory outlet (radioshack/autozone etc have them for $5-10) wired with an inline fuse to the battery, and one of these usb charger adapters to give me a free USB port to plug in my phone cable. Total cost for me was <$10.

I was going to go with a relay but decided it wasn't really necessary. I never leave my bike with the phone plugged in.

· Powerhungry
39,282 Posts
Easiest way is the first way williamr described. I used a 12v accessory outlet (radioshack/autozone etc have them for $5-10) wired with an inline fuse to the battery, and one of these usb charger adapters to give me a free USB port to plug in my phone cable. Total cost for me was <$10.

I was going to go with a relay but decided it wasn't really necessary. I never leave my bike with the phone plugged in.
i did the same.
and me too.

· No Regrets
497 Posts
My charger set-up

Part list:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Arkon-GPS-NHWC-Mini-USB-Hard-Wire-Cable/dp/B002GU60CE[/ame]

or

Google and type in gps hardwire and choose the one you'd like.

plus something like the link below (mini usb adapter) but for your phone or whatever else...search engines are your friend to find what you need...

Ziotek - USB Mini To 30-pin Charge And Sync Adapter ZT1900639 (190 0639)

Install Instructions:

Find your fuse box and put the bare end of the red wire under the fuse. I used the horn because, if it goes out, no immediate issues. Black wire needs to be grounded to your frame so find your favorite spot and do your thing. Run the mini USB end to where ever you'd like. The charger will turn on and off with your bike so no issues with draining your battery.

I use this set-up for my GPS, IPHONE and IPOD charger...one at a time, of course. I've been using it consistently for 5 months and I travel all over Germany/Europe with my GPS (or other device) plugged in all the time...no problems.

The main reason I went this route is to minimize on what I have to carry. I only have to carry one small mini usb adapter instead of chargers for whatever I may need.

Hope it helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.