Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You would be better off just cutting the wire that leads to the low beam wire on the light switch. Would give you the same effect without having to do any rewiring.

Better yet, put a switch on the headlight side of the wiring harness, that when its open, no current goes to the low beam, but if you close the switch, the light works like normal.

But just for the record, I highly recommend disabling your headlights, regardless if it keeps the neighbors awake. If you get into a bike accident, the first thing a cop does is test to see if the headlight was disabled, or if it works all the time when the ignition is on.

BC.

I didn't do it, I swear.
And even if I did, what makes you think I would admit it to you?

·
Registered
83 Posts
The thing is i want both bulbs to be on and dont want to wire in a seperate switch to the lows. I want to use the brights switch cause its right on the bars. I know it can be done cause someone did it on my 01 gixxer for me. As far as the accident thing ive never seen a cops check that before. Its not illegal to be able to turn the headlight off on a motorcycle its just most states require the headlight to be on wile the bike is riden so the manufacturer sets it up so you dont have to turn it on. Also what happens if the cop tried to check your lights and they didnt work. The might not work because of the accident.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Another thing, running with your highs on all the time may get you pulled over in town or in the city. At least cops around here look out for things like that.

Life is short, but sweet for certain...

·
Registered
83 Posts
First off the question is for an 03 6rr.I ride with my highs on all the time anyway and would like to be able to kill the headlight wile im warming the bike up or putting the bike away at night so it doesnt shine into my niebors windows. I would like to hook them up to the brights switch so when the switch is switched to brights the lights are on and when its on low there off. What would be the best way about going about this. I dint know how the switch interupts power for the highs weather its power or ground. Asuming its ground could i just take the ground wire from the lows and splice it iknto the highs to complete the circute. Let me know how guys. Thanks

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You wanted both lights to be on... I didn't quite get that impression with your first post...

Anyway, like I said, cut the wire that leads to the low beam side of the high/low switch, but this time splice the low beam wire in with the high beam side.

Ta da!! Your solution with no extra legality comments.
BC.

I didn't do it, I swear.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks blade at least your trying to help but that wouldnt work. The low beam doesnt run to the switch at all. It would run right off the ignition since it never turns off.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Man take is easy, we understand what you wanted to know, we were just trying to help you out of a potential ticket. Its not like you bike doesn't get enough attention as it is.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I didnt mean it to sound like i was getting worked up or anything its just kind of anoys me when a question is asked and everybody chimes in but nothing relavint to help give an answer. I dont see people getting told not to put an aftermarket exhaust on cause you can get a ticket for it or takeing the mudflap off or tucking there plate or putting putting aftermarket turn signals. All that stuff is just as illegal and an equitment violation but just about everybody does3 out of the 4 of them.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, but an exhaust system or an eliminated fender isn't going to possibly get you killed by grandma in her 1981 Caddy Sedan deVille.

Not having a headlight on might just do that.

Besides, the only real way you are going to get it to work is to splice some wires and rig in a switch or two. No getting around it.

BC.

I didn't do it, I swear.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Originally posted by spddmn

Another thing, running with your highs on all the time may get you pulled over in town or in the city. At least cops around here look out for things like that.

That's stupid. In the book for bikes in the state of Iowa it recommends using your high beam during the day to increase visibility.

Dan...comfortable enough with his manhood to ride a 600.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I meant you will get pulled over at night, not in the day.

·
Registered
35 Posts
NY Dave, let me know if you need wire colors or whatever, although I am too lazy to go in the garage and look in the shop manual and go ahead and post if for you. If you do splice a wire, or cap and stow, see if you can find environmental splices, not sure if you know what that is, but it is a splice with a metal splice center conductor and a heat shrink sleeve with a "goo" that melts and seals the splice when you heat it. Or you could use a conventional butt splice with a bead of silicone (after you splice it), or no silicone and a butt spice with dialectric grease. Ok... I am beginning to ramble, but as you can see there is more than one way to skin a cat. Let me know if you need me to look anything up in the manual.

Kelsey

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.