Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone point me in the direction of the hot wire when the key is turned to the on position?
Best location to tap into, color code, etc...
thx

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
anywho. The wire AT the switch is brown (hot when key is 'on') and the way I tapped my signal was from the IGN fuse underneath the seat. From the fuse box it's a brown/black wire which runs to the IC (behind the battery). For the signal you can tap into any one of those spots.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Are you just looking for the signal (like you're wiring a relay) or are you looking for a +12 line that is going to draw more than an amp or two? If you're just looking for the signal then the brown wire (or brown/black wire). If you're looking for a power line I'd make sure to pull from just the brown lead.

btw: another toy? I'm guessing either
A) A little air compressor for a "La Cucaracha" horn, or
B) Sybian!
C) Mini fridge to keep your beers cold on the way home from the grocery store

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll take door "A" for $100... ;)

Actually, it's time to wire up the V1 to the bike so I'll need the +12 line, thanks for that.
Looking at getting the H.A.R.D. system as well....or some other type of visual indicator, haven't really decided yet.

So much for a new jacket.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I'll take door "A" for $100... ;)

Actually, it's time to wire up the V1 to the bike so I'll need the +12 line, thanks for that.
Looking at getting the H.A.R.D. system as well....or some other type of visual indicator, haven't really decided yet.

So much for a new jacket.
I'd buy the jacket first if you don't have one, yet. Just control your right wrist a bit more. :)

let me know how the HARD system works out. Have been thinking of getting one for my 8500 x50.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Whoaa! I never considered that for the bike. Does it really work? I've been pulled over TWICE in the past month and I seem to get tailed at least once a week (I don't really speed or do any 'crazy' maneuvers on public roads). If it's worth it I'd be ALL over it!

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Whoaa! I never considered that for the bike. Does it really work? I've been pulled over TWICE in the past month and I seem to get tailed at least once a week (I don't really speed or do any 'crazy' maneuvers on public roads). If it's worth it I'd be ALL over it!
Does what work? The HARD system? That's what I want to know. :)

It does sound like a great idea, IF it works as advertised.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kkim, ya...I have a jacket already, but had my eye on a new RS Taichi jacket.
I'm actually one of the few people within my circle of riding friends that rides with "full" gear...full armored jacket, back protector, gauntlet style gloves, A* boots, and knee pads. All my gear is red/white/black and the bike is blue. Add a rubber spike mohawk to that and I'm hard to miss. :D

As far as the HARD system, just ran across this on another board:
http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-triple-forum/84728-radar-detector.html
Check post #7 by Brooks...looks like the HARD system may have some issues.

Ran across this that had some interesting info as well:
http://news.carjunky.com/radar-detectors-on-motorcycles-yes-you-can-adg021.shtml

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
Well... I HAD my seat off for pictures for another user, and snapped THESE pics

Pull the fuse panel out AND...

Notice the Brown wires? These are all (+12) when the ignition is 'ON'.
You could probably cheat with what you're doing and tap into the horn (which has a 10 amp fuse) lead for your 12 volt supply.

A) I doubt you're going to overload that fuse with the radar detector
B) How the hell often are you using the horn anyways?
:)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
would a detecter still be able to work if i made my windscreen so you cant see through? or does it need to be clear?
Depends if its radar or laser that your trying to pick up...radar should still work if it's just paint, laser probably not.
I think I'm going to make a mount for mine under the faring/headlight area so it has a clear unobstructed shot forward.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Depends if its radar or laser that your trying to pick up...radar should still work if it's just paint, laser probably not.
I think I'm going to make a mount for mine under the faring/headlight area so it has a clear unobstructed shot forward.
just make sure you have enough clearance for the detector when the front forks are at full compression.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts