Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Wiseco 637 kit worth the money at around $600+ bore and replate or w/e? I can bore the cylinders myself actually but have no clue where to get replated like it says is required on the wiseco site. I assume the zx6 is no diff then most other kawi motors with nikasil (sp???) plating. I want more punch, but i want to keep the bike i got, i cant sell it becasue its old and no one will pay what its really worth or atleast what i think its worth once i get the race fairings on and cut and i plan to get headers and a filter but i always want more power no matter what i am on lol. Just want to keep up with the 636's really. Anyways, any info on a bigbore would be great, and i sure it would make a big difference no matter what sense i got my bike with 25k miles and i am sure its not as powerful as new lol. BTW i got a 98 zx6r.
Ben

·
Registered
812 Posts
Well I dn't know anything about boreing, but if you don't think a $600+ expenditure will power it enough to you liking. I would suggest spend your money on better things, or better yet save it. How much do you think your bike is worth? and how much do you think they'll give you? You might trade up or something. The season is almost over (at least for us NE people) so the interest will be low. Try selling it around march-april. you never know. You might get a good deal. And if you're putting race fairings on it, you might sell it as a track bike. Also, if you're interested in engine work, check out motoman's site (http://www.mototuneusa.com/) and signup for the newsletter. Bunch of good info there.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, and i dont really want to sell it for about a year or so, i wanted to hold on to it and i am putting race fairings on but i am custom making a single headlight, and then butting out a spot for a tail light. Also i want to put some inverted forks up front. I think i most likely can get 2500 with the fairings, i paid 2300+750 for the stuff i just ordered, but to me personally it isnt worth the sale, and as for seasion being up i will ride until it snows lol
Ben

·
Registered
312 Posts
You know, i was looking for something like this. I'm glad im not gonna have to get pistons MADE soemwhere for 2000+.

I dont know anything about re-plating, but I'll surely find out!

·
Registered
823 Posts
This company replates cylinders of cars, snowmobiles, and motorcycles:
http://www.usnicom.com/

Give them a call and find out what a replate would cost for your Kawi cylinder block.

In the dirtbike industry replating a two stroke cylinder generally costs half or less of what a new cylinder would cost.
Hope this helps!:D

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
98-99 are not plated...check the fiche cards!!

steel liners...yup...bore away...i'm using OEM 03-04 636 pistons...[8D]maybe;)....and the stock 2000-02 head gaskets are over bore already...cross check the head gasket for the 98-99's I do believe they are the same part #'s...

anything else??.....and porting and polishing is HIGHly recommended...along with a VERY good valve job...then you'd be VERY close to 636 HP numbers..

Good luck

Jason

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so you used 636 pistons? I was not sure if they would fit due to the con rod size etc. Also you reccomend anyone or porting? I know porting plays a big role in power. A little more info would be much apprechiated.
Ben

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
95-02 are the same wrist pin as the 03-04 636...justa different design(inside taper/weight/metal).

as far as porting goes...our shop does an awesome job of what you need.... www.thugengineworks.com

i can send you some pics of finished products if you so wish...

porting is the finishing touch to a perfect valve job...along with .010 off the head and a modified head gasket to gain more compression...and don't worry about gas....supreme(95-97 octane) will make the bike happy.

then you'd be putting as much if not more HP as the run of the mill 636....well...maybe not...depends on how good/bad your jetting is.

i'm at 97 and gaining....on our dyno...and the best 636 so far has been 103HP...and I don't have 636cc yet!! or a good valve job or the best porting our shop offers(done before i started working there)...mind you, this winter....it's gonna' get messy before it gets good...LOL

Jason

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok thanks alot, looks like i have a nice winter project on my hands! I would love to push as much HP as the 03-04 636 on my bike! I was actually looking on movin gup to one of them next year because they have more power, but if i do the stuff your talking about and a full exhaust and good filter i should be pretty close...
Ben

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.