Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well tonight I was doing my casual bike ride and went around in a corner(neighborhood curve) and was doing about 35mph and i slowed down a bit with the brakes and the back brake locked. Rear end started drifting to my left, I put my feet down and saved it from sliding on the pavement. Well then my front forks went screwy and i tried to hold it stiff but they just jerked and I went towards a person driveway/front yard and saw a tree in front of me. So I said "o shit" and slammed the front brake and push the bike on its right side. I jumped off and the bike skidded on the grass about 5-7 feet. Didnt end up hitting the tree(i think) it was a good foot away from the trunk of it. I pick it up and the upper fairing just about 5 inches above the blink is cracked and has a nice size hole on it. the side fairing is scrated a tid bit and got one good size paint just gone on the side, and finally scraped my new Two bros can....blink of course is broken off as well. Now i stand it up and try to move it but it seemed a little stiff, i dont know if the rim or forks are bent(hopefully not) it still drives fine and front brake works good but not for sure. Heres a question would it be smart to have my insurance pay for the damage or should i just fork over the bill for a fairing and blinker?

Thanks,
james

ps, I am not hurt just bruised a little bit on the calf that the pegs hit when I put my foot down. Everything else is good!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
no brakes through the lean! unless you completely understand the effects of braking action at different angles, stick to using them in a straight line. not trying to flame or preach, just letting you know.

easy technique: use the brakes, choose the gear you want to ride through the turn in, and keep the turn smooth. don't try and adjust through it if you don't absolutely have to. if you have the space, make turns from the outside, to the inside, back to the outside. widens the turn for ya!

as far as insurance goes, i would probably just buy the fairing and blinker. eBay!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
crjbeez, I now understand about the whole brakes thing. I have done it before numerous of times and well I think it just caught up to me.
Bikerboy24, The only reason why I would not want to use it is because: My deductable my be the same price as the fairings, blinkers, paint etc. also I don't want my insurance to go up because of a wreck bike that they have to fork over money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by GreenEnvy

Well, having insurance pay the $800 in damage he may have might not be a good idea if his rates go up by $1000 after that.
Beat me to it... thats exactly the reason, if you don't have to up your payments, DON'T! Save the insurance for when its totalled or inoperable! :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by gthotchkiss

Beat me to it... thats exactly the reason, if you don't have to up your payments, DON'T! Save the insurance for when its totalled or inoperable! :D
Thanks guys, I think might just do that, it still rides all right I think, maybe because I was still shaken up when it felt funny but it got me back safe. Also how much all together for the upper cowling painted and blinker? I think im just going to leave the side fairing the way it is. Character as one might say. I might have to wait awhile for it and cruise on a damaged bike but it'll get taken of one day this year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.