Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Yeah, thats a little rediculous. What a moron.

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
i hate to say it but that cruiser guy needs to get into an accident. not a bad one but maybe he should feel what a skin graft feels like...

what an idiotic comment...gear doesn't make a difference? idiot...

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Textbook harley squid, "if it wasn't the law I wouldn't wear a helmet....blah, blah, blah...freedom...blah, blah, blah, blah."

I know this is fucked up but i was thinking in my head while he was talking that nonsense, damn they shouldn't have a helmet law so this idiot can have his freedom to crack his head and become a veg or die so he won't reproduce anymore idiots.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Someone that thinks that any sort of gear doesn't help in a crash hasn't been down hard enough yet. I've seen plenty of guys hit the asphalt and walk away with a sore shoulder where others have had to deal with months of skin grafts for the same kind of fall.

Whatever, it's your choice, but don't run around telling everyone that it's not going to help you.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Most of the cruiser guys in NH and VA were't wearing helmets when I've been there. In some states it's not a law. I say your better off riding harder on a sportbike and dressing for the crash, then you are putsing around on a cruiser in shorts and sunglasses. It's his choice, if it were legal, who cares whether or not he wears a helmet. Rotten.com needs the photos! I think it's a little disrespectful for the clean up crew when the shit hits the fan, but whatever.

I just rode the blue ridge parkway, and damn there was a lot of deer out.

·
Sportbike Scum; Ex-Mod.
4,215 Posts
Yeah, he's gonna get "messed up" as he says.. and without gear it will be SO much more fun for him... what an ass-hat. No brains to speak of. See how free he feels confined to a wheelchair as a drooling idiot for the rest of his days... Sheesh.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Yea that guy is pretty out of it, doesn't even have long pants on. But I will say I see part of his view, if throughout his whole riding lifetime he never goes down in the end he can say he rode just the way he wanted to aside from having to wear his helmet. And about helmets everyone has their view, as for me personally I wear a helmet for two reasons to prevent the cracking open of my skull and to provide wind and airborne crap protection but I still feel that even having the helmet is dangerous. Sure it protects my skull but at the same time it exposes my neck to greater potential injury. I'll still wear my helmet because of the law and the double benefit but everytime I hear about a rider who went down and their helmet caught something and prevented head damage (i.e. chin bar stops car's tow bar from going though riders jaw) I always get concerned about neck injury.

Oh and that cruiser dumb doesn't represent stereotypical harley riders, at least not the ones I know and see. It's true harley riders are opposed to mandatory helmets (mostly because of my previously mentioned head neck thing) but most all of them believe in wearing their leathers, even on the warm days.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Originally posted by rockstar84
Most of the cruiser guys in NH and VA were't wearing helmets when I've been there. In some states it's not a law. I say your better off riding harder on a sportbike and dressing for the crash, then you are putsing around on a cruiser in shorts and sunglasses. It's his choice, if it were legal, who cares whether or not he wears a helmet.quote]

I hope you didnt see riders without helmets in VA, helmets are MANDATORY in VA! Not only were they riding like idiots but they were illegal also!!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Originally posted by killer2600
Yea that guy is pretty out of it, doesn't even have long pants on. But I will say I see part of his view, if throughout his whole riding lifetime he never goes down in the end he can say he rode just the way he wanted to aside from having to wear his helmet. And about helmets everyone has their view, as for me personally I wear a helmet for two reasons to prevent the cracking open of my skull and to provide wind and airborne crap protection but I still feel that even having the helmet is dangerous. Sure it protects my skull but at the same time it exposes my neck to greater potential injury. I'll still wear my helmet because of the law and the double benefit but everytime I hear about a rider who went down and their helmet caught something and prevented head damage (i.e. chin bar stops car's tow bar from going though riders jaw) I always get concerned about neck injury.

Oh and that cruiser dumb doesn't represent stereotypical harley riders, at least not the ones I know and see. It's true harley riders are opposed to mandatory helmets (mostly because of my previously mentioned head neck thing) but most all of them believe in wearing their leathers, even on the warm days.
I think I understand your feeling on how wearing a helmet can increase your chance of neck injury. I think you're implying that the added weight of a helmet will add leverage to whatever force is sending your head jerking in whatever direction, and multiplies the injury because of the total resulting weight of your head with helmet on it.

I think if you were involved in an auto accident while wearing a motorcycle helmet, you're putting yourself in that risk. In a car, your body is restrained by a seat belt, and your head will jerk quickly forward in a front crash. In a rear crash, your head is snapped back because your body is blocked by the seat behind you.

However, motorists don't wear helmets. Bikers do, and our bodies are not restrained by anything. There is no significant type of impact that will make your head jolt in one direction any more while wearing a helmet versus not wearing one. If my head should be jerked back because my face is colliding with something during a crash (like a car, road, bike, etc), I'd sure as hell better be wearing that helmet with face protection. The way I figure it, the neck jolt will be the same with a helmet on, but my face won't be crushed in as a result of the impact. In fact, a helmet can, in some instances, limit the distance your head travels, such as side to side and forward. Maybe even back with some helmets. I cannot be convinced that those who have suffered neck injuries while riding a motorcycle increased that injury by wearing a helmet. I believe they saved their melon from whatever it was they hit and would've hurt their neck whether wearing a helmet or not.

And to those who believe wearing a helmet impairs your vision, you should do a little research. There have been several studies done concluding that motorcycle helmets were not found to contribute to a motorcycle accidents by way of impairing vision in 100% of their test subjects. Not a single accident in the test.

Many of those who fight for no helmet laws try to leverage the theory that helmets create more problems than they solve. One being the vision issue. That is such a load of crap. They simply want the freedom to ride as they wish and feel the breeze flowing through their hair. I don't fault them for that, but I think having no helmet laws sets a bad example for younger, inexperienced riders. For someone to think that wearing a helmet makes no difference during a crash is simply absurd. You all should see the condition of my old helmet after a nasty highway crash I suffered in 2001. See it then tell me what you think of helmets. The only parts of my body that went unscathed were my head and neck. Go figure.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think you are right tareksaleh77, the real issue is the freedom to choose which is what the discussion should be about. When seatbelt use was being promoted here you would similar crap about them causing injuries. Sure there can be injuries caused by seatbelts but as you point out with helmets, the injuries would be different and much more severe without the safety device. I am sure occasionally a helmet might cause additional injury but these situations will be far outnumbered by those in which a full face will reduce or prevent injury. Bottom line to me is why take a risk for no real reason when you can easily mitigate it. Anybody who really believes that are safer without helmet should try wacking their head on road or sign. Besides why the hell would a person want to collect all those bugs, not to mention rocks, with their face. Makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I know what your saying and GWN your right, every safety device ever made for a motorized vehicle has been questioned and in some cases the safety device was found to cause more damage to the driver/rider than if the device wasn't in use. Although I myself use seat belts, helmets, and protective gear all the time I still believe the law is too strict. There once was a time when we had the freedom to do suicidal things, now big brother is telling people they don't have the right. What would the fore-fathers think of us now with all the freedom denying regulation.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The question is; what degree of freedom do we want to be stupid and hurt ourselves. While it is certain that seatbelt and helmet laws save lives and injuries, it is not possible to legislate common sense. In my province we have a seatbelt law that is enforced, however there have been several auto fatalities this year in which people have been thrown from the vehicle. It seems like a sensless waste, and you know that if there was no helmet law here, a bunch of people would be dying senslessly on their bikes. Perhaps it is just the cost of having at least some amount of freedom. At some point will we have to worry about motorcycles being banned because a person could get hurt on (or more likely by flying off)a bike? Even though I know people will make bad choices and get hurt and killed, I don't think that we should have helmet or seatbelt laws for people who have reached the age of majority. If you can be trusted to vote and drink, why not choose the level of safety you utilize in your personal life.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.