Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starts fine at first start up, rides fine no issues but if I turn it off for a few minutes try restart it. It won’t start without giving it some throttle. Then no issues other then it runs slightly rough. It was running lean the other day no power at high rpms when ridding, exhaust popping and exhaust getting hot. Which make me believe it’s a fuel issue. Any ideas?

2000 Kawasaki ZR-7

I tried fuel additives, new air filter and checking for vacuum leaks with carb cleaner...

I did install exhaust wrap before this started happening I doubt it has anything to do with the new issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock exhaust and air filter was recently changed with the same performance one that was in there.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Stock exhaust and air filter was recently changed with the same performance one that was in there.
By deduction, I think that we should go back to that exhaust wrap. I've read that it can cause overheating issues and since the bike is working fine when cool and the problems started after wrapping the pipes, maybe it is indeed the culprit. I am not an expert on the subject but maybe removing the wrap and testing is worth a try.

·
Registered
267 Posts
When were the Valve Clearances last Checked / Adjusted ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
This might be normal. On bikes with carburetors, there is fuel evaporation when you shut off a warm engine. Within a couple minutes the fuel vapor basically fills up the air box, displacing all the fresh air. So you have to crack the throttle a bit, and crank it for a few seconds longer to let it suck in some fresh air to mix with the excess fuel vapor. Then it should fire up.

If this is what’s happening, and it starts up and settles down to a normal idle within 5-10 seconds, then I don’t think you have a problem.

This behavior is what I’ve experienced on my ZR750, ZX-6E, ZX-6R, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts