Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1998 kawasaki zx6r for a good deal. I took it to my friends and got all the carbs cleaned and the spark plug wires placed on the right coils(obviously the previous owner didnt know how to change the wires).

-Done with engine.

Sat on the bike and noticed it shifted into first and back into neutral, but wouldn't up shift to 2nd gear. I know a few people that have zx6r's that can shift up and down sitting dead still with the engine on or off. What is the solution?

wont shift to second gear.
no grinds, or noises, just wont shift to second.:mad:

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
i know the 2000+ ZX-6Rs have a positive neutral finder, not sure if the 98/99 have it?

the PNF prevents you from selecting second gear from first/neutral unless the output shaft is spinning fast enough(usually a few MPH vehicle speed).

only need the one thread, BTW

·
Registered
38 Posts
you move the pedal up and nothing happens or the pedal wont move?
Wont shift no matter what? In motion, standing still? Motor on or off?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Kawasaki has a "Positive neutral finder" in their transmission. It keeps it from shifting into second unless the bike is moving.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
Kawasaki has a "Positive neutral finder" in their transmission. It keeps it from shifting into second unless the bike is moving.
this.

read your fucking manual.

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
I don't get why you would want to shift into second gear at a stand still anyways.:dunno:

·
Registered
28,591 Posts

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
you can spin the output shaft fast enough sometimes to get the lockout balls to move and allow an upshift.

but you gotta be a pimp like me.

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
or just have the bike on stands and turn the wheel with one hand...

he's saying now though that it won't do it while riding either, jimbob

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
http://www.kawiforums.com/two-wheeled-discussion/159165-2nd-gear-wont-engage.html

to bench shift the transmission to ensure proper operation

also bump starting.
I totally forgot that my bike does go up into second at stand still (engine running or not) inadvertantly sometimes. Yeah my bike has trouble getting into neutral actually. I'll come to a stop, and if I pull up too hard on the shifter, it'll pop into second instead of neutral. I have to be kinda gentle with the shifter to get it into neutral a lot. Kinda weird, but I'm used to it. Didn't have such a problem with my '05 GSXR1000. If you were sitting still and put the same pressure on the shifter as you would on my ZZR, it would never skip past into second gear. I don't know; just weird.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
there are 3 small ball bearings inside 5th gear that keep the shift forks and gears from moving until the balls themselves are thrown via centrifugal force radially, allowing the gears to merge.
should a ball be stuck or no longer spherical, this will fuck you up. should the balls get stuck, that'll allow the bike to go into gear while static.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for the input....i read up that the positive neutral finder was only put 2000 and up models. My buddy placed a different drum in the transmission and it started working.

·
Registered
28,050 Posts
He put a new drum in in 6 hours? GET THAT MAN A KAWI DEGREE!

·
Registered
185 Posts
there are 3 small ball bearings inside 5th gear that keep the shift forks and gears from moving until the balls themselves are thrown via centrifugal force radially, allowing the gears to merge.
should a ball be stuck or no longer spherical, this will fuck you up. should the balls get stuck, that'll allow the bike to go into gear while static.
I can also shift to 2nd while not moving. So what your saying is that there is something wrong with my bike? Everything feels great and I have never had a problem. Should i be worried?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it was pretty easy to take off clutch case, hub, radiator, exhaust, and oil pan to take out the drum. we had it taken apart several hours before I posted. :)

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
I can also shift to 2nd while not moving. So what your saying is that there is something wrong with my bike? Everything feels great and I have never had a problem. Should i be worried?
depends what year your bike is

it was pretty easy to take off clutch case, hub, radiator, exhaust, and oil pan to take out the drum. we had it taken apart several hours before I posted. :)

you're lucky, on most bikes the cases have to be split to access the transmission.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts