Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm in the middle of installing my Woodcraft rearsets on an '05 ZX-6R. The instructions say there's supposed to be spacers between the right rearset and the frame, but mine didn't seem to come with any.

Anyone else out there got Woodcraft rearsets on the an '05/'06? Do you have spacers installed?

Thanks,
Ray

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yes, I have woodcrafts on my '05 636. It came with no spacers I remember but that was over a year and a couple of shots of tekillya ago.

I check mine all the time and they've never given me any trouble at all ... except of course the rear brake lever light switch doesn't have a bracket ... I just disconnected it and let it hang out of the way.

hope that helps

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just called up Woodcraft. The '05/'06's are supposed to come with two spacers (one for each bracket bolt) and two longer bolts to attach them to the frame with. There's some kind of production issue, and some of the sets didn't come with the spacers/bolts. So if you don't have 'em, call them up! Otherwise the brake rubs against the swingar -- not cool.

They're sending me the right parts.

Also, for the brake light switch, you can just prop up the fuel tank and there's a quick-disconnect for the whole switch there so take 'er off! :)

·
Registered
927 Posts
mine only came with one, but i had them all summmer and didnt have any problems. The only problem i can see is if you down your bike on the right side there is a possibilty it might hit the swingarm and leave a mark.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Huh?

You only put on one of the spacers? So your rearset is angled unevenly?

Or am I misunderstanding this? You definitely want to have both or none, to make sure the rearsets are evenly leveraged against the frame and fit flush.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'll call 'em up and see if they'll send me my spacers.

Hmmm ... when I put them on they were very close the swingarm but there's ~5mm clear. The guy above is right if you dropped it hard it could bend the rearset back into the swingarm.

bad juju

thanks for the heads up

hank

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just got a call back from woodcraft. They're shipping out my spacers (no charge) tomorrow.

Green.. , I have mine on w/o spacers too. They're tight but no problems. I just want the spacers "just in case". Can't hurt if you get them sent to you free.

Thanks again for the heads-up.

Oh! and thanks for reply on the GPR stabilizer question mr. greenie...

[8D]

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Woodcraft must be getting a lot of calls about these rearsets. :D

Well, unfortunately one more problem. The bolts they send out are not shouldered/stepped like the stock bolts. You need to use Woodcraft's bolts because the spacers make it too long to use the shorter stock bolts.

But the stock bolts are shouldered, so when you use the Woodcraft rearsets, the brackets are not tight fitting with the Woodcraft bolts. Woodcraft says to just tighten them down anyway, but I don't like that answer.

I'm going to research what other bolts out there might work. Maybe Satos/Aratas or something else...

Ray

·
Registered
303 Posts
shiiiitt !! crap ... dangit !! sumbeech !! ... sorry, I digress

if it ain't one thing, its something else.

http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/ ... if this doesn't work just google woodcraft you'll get something to click

Greenie, this is the web site it go to. It has phone numbers there but I just sent them an email and real nice lady called me back in about 2 or 3 hours.

I've already got an email confirmation of the shipping with UPS.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just thought of one thing. I'm using the stock brake lever, but maybe there's no issue if you change to the Woodcraft brake lever... gotta check when I get back home today.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I worked on this some more during lunch --

Get some 5/16" washers and use those instead of the spacers from Woodcraft. Use the stock bolts to mount the rearsets. You'll notice that the MC clears the swingarm just barely (I'm going to hoist up my bike to check clearance in the full swingarm motion range), but it looks like the pivot bolt for the brake lever will hit one of the bolts on the exhaust pipe cover.

The solution for this is to get a replacement bolt for the pivot bolt from your local hardware store. The stock one uses a lock washer that you can ditch and just loc-tite on a slightly shorter one. Torque a reasonable amount (maybe 7 ft./lbs.?) Because you're ditching the lock washer, it doesn't stick out as far. I don't know the size of the stock one, so just take it to OSH and find a similar one.

I think this works pretty good. I checked this vs. the stock rearsets, and the stock rearsets are actually thicker than the Woodcraft ones, so there's about the same amount of bolt threading into the frame when you use the WC ones with a 1mm washer. So it should be just as sturdy.

If you're really anal, put on the same washers on your left side rearsets too to make them match perfectly evenly.
Hope this helped out other people. :)

I took an Advil and listened to some Debbie Gibson, and I'm feeling much better now! :D

Ray

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.