Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
Pick up my new 636 on tuesday cant wait. does anyone have any suggestions bout running her in, ive asked a few people and gottin a few different response some tellin me to take it easy and some tellin me not to worry and just go hard.[^][^][^][^][^]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well I took it easy most of the time, but I did get on it a few times. I would say take it kinda easy for the first 600 miles and then get a little harder on it for another 400 and then it is free to do what ever you want. That is what I did and I have had no problems at all. Actually I have a faster top end than one of my friends that got on his right off the bat. but it is up to you.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the guy from the dealer told me there was a test done in the uk were they took 2 gsxr600 one they ran in properly and the other they hammered it from the get go the guy reckons that the one they hammered from the start ended up having extra horsepower i dont know if the guys talkin shit or what

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are they serious i gotta ride home from the dealers and thats 100 km from home how am i gonna break it in?[?]

·
Registered
80 Posts
What is in the link that you read is the best way to break in a race bike. If you break it in like that it will have extra horses over one broken in like the manufacturer suggests..which is painfully slow and boring. If you have to ride it 100kms home..then you will have to break it in like the manufacturer suggests..which is under 4000 rpm until you have 1600 kms on it..which blows. I don't think you can hurt it either way..just no high revs for the first say 400 kms..and each ride just take it a bit higher in the rpm band..making sure you load the bike well..so you get that deep growl out of it..loading and unloading the engine is what breaks them in well..thats why they suggest a lot of short rides..getting higher and higher in the rpm band...Good Luck and you are gonna be very very happy with your new 636..I KNOW I AM!!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My question is say for the first 1000km i ride it at say around the 7000 rpm mark will i do any damage to the bike[?]

·
Registered
80 Posts
You should be told when you pick the bike up not to rev it over 4000rpm for the first ride..which means no highway driving..cause it will rev over 4 at 100/kph. I don't suggest riding it at 7000rpm for the ride home..it will shorten the life of the bike. Plus if something freaky does go wrong with it..Kawasaki may say it was abuse and then you will have nothing but an expensive target for your boomerang...sorry I couldn't help it..I love those things..

Cheers

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
This may seem a little obvious, but can you borrow a truck from someone and trailer it home? You do want to stay away from a constant rpm for a long period of time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah i can throw it on a trailer but i need it to get to work and from home to work is like a 90km im screwed[xx(]

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
con grat on the new ride. the new zx's rock. break it it how you feel is right

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm going to take all your pain away..You can fully break a bike in with the method described in the link in 1 weekend..thats right..for the low low price of 1 weekends time..you can. You need to ride it and then let it sit for at least 3-4 hours. Then take it back out for 15-20 mins and bring it back and let it cool again..you can easily break it in on a saturday and sunday..so no worries..just don't ride it home from the bike shop. Trailer it..then break it in over a weekend...

Cheers

·
Registered
558 Posts
lmfao @ smoking "boomerang". i wish i could go back to my breaking in period and hammer it but what are you gonna do? not that i can notice a differance but i've heard its better.

·
Registered
534 Posts
congrats on your new ZX! just run the bike like a bat out of hell! that's what warranty is for. *giggles*

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Just vary your rpm for the first 500 miles. Try not to go over 7000 or 8000 for the first 200 miles. After that rev all you want. Seriously, after 200 miles the rings and bearings and every damn thing else is broken in. Change your oil for first time at 250 miles that way you will get rid of that oil filter that is full of itty bitty pieces of metal from the break-in. All a break-in period is for is to give bearings, rings, lifters, valves, etc. to seat properly. If you vary your rpm for a few hundred miles you will not have any problems and your bike will remain strong. Not just my .02, it's true and if you don't believe me, I didn't say it. J/J

·
Registered
207 Posts
congrats on the awesome bike. Like mentioned above, i wish i had my breakin period all over again so i could've revved it a little higher during 200-500 miles. but either way, it's kinda hard to notice the difference unless your racing it

·
Registered
206 Posts
Originally posted by 96zx6
the guy from the dealer told me there was a test done in the uk were they took 2 gsxr600 one they ran in properly and the other they hammered it from the get go the guy reckons that the one they hammered from the start ended up having extra horsepower i dont know if the guys talkin shit or what
I read that, the end result was:

Nail it from the start = fast bike, burns oil, probably need to rebuild engine at about 40k miles

Gentle run in = not so quick (about 5mph down), doesn't use much oil, good for 75k miles.

Your choice!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.