Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was cruising down the road today and I guess I was preloading the shifter without realizing it since I admittedly wasn't paying attention since it was an industrial parkway that's empty on the weekends.

I hit a pothole, the jolt made me chop the throttle, and I did a half assed clutchless shift, gears slipped and started clicking before I pulled the clutch and downshifted. Everything seems fine, the bike rides okay, but it killed me to hear that noise and imagine what was going on inside my bike. :(

Could this have the potential to cause problems down the road, kind of a stupid question I know as I'm sure it could. I have the factory service manual for my 650r and could do any work that needs to be done, but I've never done something as advanced as rebuilding gears.

Guess I'll pay more attention and make sure I'm riding on the balls of my feet from now on.

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
if you really really forced it hard when you hit the bump you could possibly have bent a shift fork. but you'd have known it by now if you bent it that bad as it wouldn't be staying in gear.

most likely you caused some slight premature wear to the dogs and slots of whatever gear you were in and it's corresponding gear.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Well, the good news for you is that if in the future the transmission does shit the bed it's pretty easy to replace. The 650 has a cassette style transmission, which means it can all come out as a unit without even removing the motor from the bike.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I've done something like this once. Hit a bump and my foot shifted gear. Thankfully the bike didn't seem to mind. It just went in to gear fine as I was going a perfect rate of speed to go into it. But that made me learn that I should keep my foot away when not shifting.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just went out for a ride, rode out to lake Erie. Everything felt normal, and it was nice to sit on a bench, stare out into the darkness at 3am and just think.

I love my 650r, and am going to keep it, but I think its time for another bike. That new Zed is looking pretty sexy, got a chance to ride and drool over a B-King the other day too. I've always wanted a V-Max also, but I took a ride on the new one last year and don't think I could own and be happy with something that handles like that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts