Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be traveling to SC this weekend to do some mountain riding with my future brother in law. I expect that some of his friends will be riding with us. My concern is that I might be endangered leading a group of less experienced riders through the mountains (my brother in law got a bike about a month ago, and one of his friends bought and wrecked his bike about two months ago). As the most experienced rider, should I lead the group? If I am maintaining a safe speed through the twisties, how do I guard against one of the other riders trying to ride outside of his limits and wrecking me in the process? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would say if you lead... you can maintain a safe pace to where your headed... however if from behind you can only watch their riding skills! I would say just hope they don't pass you if your leading... and definently have a talk before the ride... and who gives a fuck what they think... it'll ease your mind!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Originally posted by j_rokaz
and definently have a talk before the ride...
I totally agree with that man. Have a game plan and make sure they understand that you being the one with the experience will "be in charge" so to speak. Make sure they know what you expect them to do and what not to do. If you have worries about a specific thing they may or may not do then make it a condition for your participation.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I usually make sure to let the newer guy lead. I always make sure to make it very clear that if I'm leading going to fast, just slow down and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
not that i'm like a two time tour-de-france champion or anything, but when i don't know who i'm riding with, or if im riding with squids, or newbs, i always lead. that way I only have to worry about the road and deer, not the road, deer, and bikes / bodies sliding across the front of me. a good friend with a 10r laid it down over a n00b one time on a honda 6 rr.

but those are people i dont know and i care about my bike more than the squids, so if it was my brother-in-law i'd sacrafice my 1% of fun to make sure he was safe. riding a bike at all is still 99% as fun as riding it to my limit. i'd lead and let him follow, if he gets bored let him lead, but be careful of him trying to impress you.

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
personally i switch back and forth with the less experienced riders, that way they can see what i am doing,yet also i can give them some feedback on what they are doing wrong.
Been riding for 19 years and done many track days & classes, so i have a little experience...

Just make it clear if you take off dont be a Dumb ass and rideabove your pace..this is for fun not a race.
Though it seems that one guy always has to ride over his head

·
Registered
622 Posts
that's a tuff one..... i say let the rider that knows the road the best lead.....they know what to expect around each corner, & you won't have any surprise brake checks this way...just ride w/ a lil more space than usual, & ask that every1 else do the same;)

·
Registered
336 Posts
[:Agree] with everybody; jsut do what you think will be the best thing.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Put the most experienced guys as LEAD and SWEEP. Regroup every 10 miles or when the road allows (long straights work best obviously)...... Have a riders meeting and establish all the rules of the ride, reiterate to all the riders that everyone should ride at their own pace....

·
Registered
480 Posts
Originally posted by stizo
Put the most experienced guys as LEAD and SWEEP. Regroup every 10 miles or when the road allows (long straights work best obviously)...... Have a riders meeting and establish all the rules of the ride, reiterate to all the riders that everyone should ride at their own pace....
[:Agree]

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
I'm kinda of the belief that the most experienced person should be in the very back. Just in case anything goes wrong, or someone starts acting like an ass-hat, etc. In the front, you have no idea what's going on behind you. You kinda do, but you get what I'm sayin.

I suggest putting your brother-in-law in front while making it absolutely clear to him that he has to stay within his limits. You have a better chance getting your point across to him than to some random riders.

In the back you can observe every thing. If someone starts acting like a dick, you can put a stop to it. From the front, you can't do anything until you look in your mirror and see that two of the riders crashed into each other cause they weren't keeping safe distance.

Just my 2 cents. I say put your brother-in-law in front and you in the very back.

·
Registered
336 Posts
have ever gone on a group ride? just do what they did on that one and you should be fine.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Put the most experienced guy up front so the newer guys can follow your lines and you can also keep a nice pace for the newer guys........ As for staying in the back i would have to disagree.... I think the newer peeps should stay behind and follow the more experienced riders..........

·
Registered
207 Posts
Depends on if you want to have a good ride, or a crappy ride ;). If you lead, you can do whatever speed you want, but ultimately you take some responsibility for the noobs behind you, since they will probably try to keep up. I like to warn them not to keep up if they don't feel comfortable, and I'll still ride way below my normal speeds (not much fun.) If you really feel uncomfortable and they are just terrible riders, then ride in the back. You can keep a good distance, ride hard when you want, and hopefully give the riders a few tips on their riding styles at the first stop for gas or whatnot

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
have a talk w/ them before you go out ridind, and decide on something that makes all of you comfy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.