Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my wife work at the same place. I decided to ride with her after checking the weather forecast, as it called for T-storms around noon. I got off at 3:00pm. So, any ways she ended up having to stay a little later and I decide to go home(it didn't rain btw) and chill a little while, before going back to pick her up. I take a nap and when I wake I decide I have enough time to go for a quick ride. The sky looks ominously dark to the southeast. But I go for it anyway. On the down leg of my ride, I'm coming to a stop sign and snick my right signal on. I look to my left and see a car coming, as it goes by I see two old ladies in it and the driver talking on a cell phone. Two more cars are coming up fast behind them, so I decide to wait and then go when they pass. This is a two lane highway with a 55mph speed limit. I pull out and QUICKLY catch up to all 3 cars. I have to get on the brakes hard to keep from hitting the last car, look down at my speedo and we're doing 30mph. I can see 1mi ahead, save for a small dip/hill that could hide a bike eating suv about half the distance up. I look up at the sky and it's even darker than when I left the house, and I can see lighting flashing, I'm 2mi's from home,I think to myself"Shit, I'm gonna get wet if I stay here!" Double yellow line, but I drop 2 gears and open her up, pass all three cars and am on my way home. I made it into the garage right when the T-storm starts. Would you have passed the 3 cagers, or gotten wet?

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
im kinda new to riding. so i would have waited, not knowing if one of the other cages would have pulled out and tried to pass as well. just my thoughts.

N

·
0 Posts
i would've passed. if it looks safe and they're going slower than the speed limit, why not.

·
Registered
560 Posts
we have a chronic problem around here with old men who like to stare at everything but the road. in a 65...45, in a 55...45, in a 15...45, in a passing zone...80. its damn near impossible to get around, so i do whatever i have to do to get away from them, except shoulder passing of course;) because thats illegal and stuff.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Originally posted by psycho_penguin
we have a chronic problem around here with old men who like to stare at everything but the road. in a 65...45, in a 55...45, in a 15...45, in a passing zone...80. its damn near impossible to get around, so i do whatever i have to do to get away from them, except shoulder passing of course;) because thats illegal and stuff.
It KILLS me when I see an old bastard in a pickup going slow and constanty looking off to the right, then to the left into a corn field or something. Maybe they're looking for deer, watching the crops grow...! WTF. Just Fckin GOOOOO!!!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
I gotta admit, although I never plan a ride in the rain, it's kinda cool to get caught in a storm. I work about an hour away from home. Yesterday morning (about quiting time) it had POURED down, cats and dogs for about two hours. I secretly wanted to ride home in that down pour. I'd rather get pounded by the rain, than just ride home on a wet, slick road and get my bike all nasty for nothing. At least I'd get to break in my new jacket RIGHT!:D
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Alpinestars_Stage_Leather_Jacket--507587.html
I just get an adrenaline rush from those black clouds, wind and yes...maybe a little lightning.:D

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I don't deliberately go out for a ride in the rain, but I don't mind getting caught in it.

Having said that, I would have passed them.

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
I am with you BRO, after all the times riding in the rain in Hawaii & Georgia i hate the water,especially now that my bikes are pretty much decked out in goodies and thats ALOT of cleaning.
Also not sure how my RC51 would work out being the battery is going to get soaked as it is relocated right behind the front wheel almost and all the other electronics as well as the Power commander are right up in there

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I forgot to add I had just washed and waxed my baby the day before, so I DEFINATELY didn't want her to get caught in the rain.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Originally posted by JCP636
I definitely would have passed I'm a real impatient person when it comes to traffic.
Right there with you.
I don't really mind riding in the rain, but If I can avoid it, I will.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
man i guess all of you would have passed. mabe i just a little cautious since i kinda new. i dont know what my limits are yet, so..... dont wana push it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wouldn't have passed, I've been in 2 accidents (in cars) because of that exact thing.

Once I was passing 3 cars and the second in the group decided to pass the first, she pulled into me at 70mph (2 lane highway) and took my mirror off.

The other time I was a passenger, the driver was passing 2 cars and the first was making an unsignalled left turn. They pushed my buddie's jag into a light pole at 35-40mph. Not fun, I spilled my drink all over myself and the car was totally fucked.

Either way, those 2 situations I was in before would have both hurt a lot more on a bike...

Besides, around here it's illegal to pass more than 1 vehicle at a time...and I'm a good, (mostly) law-abiding citizen...

·
Registered
93 Posts
i never cross that double yellow line, but T-storms around here in AZ, are very dangerous, the winds they throw out can knock you off, large hail in the winter and spring, and monsoon type down pours can cause puddles so deep you will get stuck in a bike. Flash floods under over passes can happen in less then 30 seconds, if im trying to run from mother nature, it would be the ONLY time i do somthing as stupid as crossin double yellow to get home.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would have passed based on them going alot slower than the posted speed limit. As far as the rain goes, I like riding in the rain. Me and some other guys sometimes plan group rides on a rainy weekend. I dunno, I think it's kinda fun.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I second the earlier post about cars making left turns. I was ripping around the local backroads yesterday and came up quickly on an old cruiser. I was following until we got to a long straight stretch. I saw a car coming the other way but they were so far away I didn't worry about it. I passed the bike and for some reason I just decided to stay on the gas a while. I got up to an indicated 120mph when I drove past the car that was going the other way. I noticed the car had its turn signal on and was stopped ready to turn. I just thought what would've happened if he hadn't seen me and just went. It was a bit of a wake up call for me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.