Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you support a law that requires the wearing of more than a helmet, say helmet, jacket, gloves and boots?

Personally I have mixed feelings. I laws like that which limit freedom and personal choice, but I'm bothered by all the guys I see around here doing the shorts-tshirt-sneakers thing.

Maybe I should just mind my own business :p

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The education idea is good. IIRC, thats how they do it in europe(along with a stepped levels of max power for the bike)

·
Registered
848 Posts
No, we have enough laws in the interest of safety. The government uses our safety to pass down laws to lose our freedoms, until we have none. Gear is great, but should be up to the person, like seatbelts for adults, etc...

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Nope! it should be a matter of choice even with helmets. I choice to wear gear, even where I don't have to!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
i think anything beyond a helmet is asking a bit much on the financial side of it. i wouldnt mind it, but im sure it would piss other people off because they either don't have the money or dont want to spend it on that

+1 to the requiring the msf class, but again in some states it costs money. i know in others its free though, im assuming they use tax dollars for it

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree on MSF or something similar. I disagree with gear. It should be up to the rider.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
I believe that we cannot make common sense a law. However, I also think that I shouldn't have to pay for someone else not using common sense. So if they hurt themselves, they better pay for it themselves.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I agree with the helmet law, but not a law on gear.

I think education should be mandatory though and would highly support a law requiring this. Education will allow people to make a more informed decision on whether to wear gear or not.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sev, common sense isn't very common. I saw a guy with flip flops today riding a bmw dualsport.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think even if all the sport riders out there supported this, it wouldn't matter in the least.

I can't convince my father(rides a yamaha Roadstar) to even try a jacket. gloves are pushing it.

My official opinion would be against such a law. I wouldn't be caught without my gear though.

·
Registered
679 Posts
No I would not. I am already irked by the people who will b*tch and moan when they get a ticket for seatbelt violation. If someone wants to die, let them do so. If anything, they should educate people, show them pictures of what happens when you wear no gear. Then you can decide. Would be nice to get an insurance discount for gear.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
A law requiring gear, forget that I'm not even for helmet laws. My personal protection and choice of apparel is my own business and not something that needs to be regulated by law. Granted I don't particularly mind the indecent exposure laws regarding clothing but I wouldn't mind not having it around either.

But if you wanna have laws to fix everything like everyone seems to want these days I have couple suggestions in addition to helmet and gear laws

1) 1 year experience requirement before being allowed to drive or own any motorcycle with a displacement greater than 500cc.

2) Make it illegal for insurance companies to insure anyone under 25 years of age on/for a supersport motorcycle. Basically this would make supersports illegal for anyone under 25.

It's not hard to see what "issue" I'm aiming at fixing with the two above. I bet quite a few here don't like them either :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
A law requiring gear, forget that I'm not even for helmet laws. My personal protection and choice of apparel is my own business and not something that needs to be regulated by law. Granted I don't particularly mind the indecent exposure laws regarding clothing but I wouldn't mind not having it around either.

But if you wanna have laws to fix everything like everyone seems to want these days I have couple suggestions in addition to helmet and gear laws

1) 1 year experience requirement before being allowed to drive or own any motorcycle with a displacement greater than 500cc.

2) Make it illegal for insurance companies to insure anyone under 25 years of age on/for a supersport motorcycle. Basically this would make supersports illegal for anyone under 25.

It's not hard to see what "issue" I'm aiming at fixing with the two above. I bet quite a few here don't like them either :D
#1 How would this be enforced?
#2 We'd probably end up with a bunch of squids riding around without insurance.

I don't have any problem with helmet laws, but if you're for personal freedom, how can you be for limiting the freedom of adults (anyone over 18)?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
#1 How would this be enforced?
#2 We'd probably end up with a bunch of squids riding around without insurance.

I don't have any problem with helmet laws, but if you're for personal freedom, how can you be for limiting the freedom of adults (anyone over 18)?
#1 would be enforced through sale, purchase, and DMV titling. There would have to be a different endorsement or a date of endorsement on the license so someone could sell you a 500cc or greater bike and so the DMV or insurance company would title or insure the bike to you.

#2 Perhaps but not squids on a new bike unless you had cash and trailered the bike home. Without insurance your riding illegal so a simple speeding ticket becomes more serious a matter. Also if you crash without insurance your stuck with your own repairs and you won't slowly raise the rates of the insured. All in all it would serve it's purpose very nicely.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I would support a law that requires gear if they make lane splitting legal every where(traffic splitting not 100mph splitting). Cagers get so made but if their cars fit in the same space they would do it too, they are just pissed they can't.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts