Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always envied the "look" of having dual disks in the front - kind of made me wish the 250r has duallies instead of a single.

Well anyways - I was on my way to university and I travel like 8 miles down one long street in Irvine Cali which is seperated by lights that change from Green to Red with what has got to be the smallest Caution/Yellow time in the world.

So I was putting around at like 55mph and approaching this light - ready to stop and covering my brakes when I look over and just check to see if the guy behind me is ready to stop. He is but the light is still green but quickly changes to red.

I end up doing a crazy panic brake with only the front disc! I know it was "wrong" in terms of what MSF teaches you but damn I have new found respect for that little disc brake. Its like the disc brake that could.

I stopped safely and soundly without any locking and within the double lines. Next problem - I forgot to shift to 1st - I just grabbed clutch and front brake. So here I am pushing the bike front and back at this light to get the gears to drop down to first.

Just thought I'd share. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah before I used to put in just a smidge of rear brake but then found from reading on here and from experience that as long as you are straight and center front brake is enough - also I do engine braking to slow down but really couldn't in this situation.

But now that I have found the limits so to say I feel a lot safer.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Instead of rocking the bike back and forth, you can feather to clutch a hair. You'll feel the gear engage and you'll be able to shift down.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Instead of rocking the bike back and forth, you can feather to clutch a hair. You'll feel the gear engage and you'll be able to shift down.
Ah - thanks for the tip. First I was like wtf - its not shifting down so I started rocking. I guess your tip is a better option.

Rep for you!

·
Registered
55 Posts
when emergency braking don't worry about down shifting! Your primary focus is to stop in the most effective and swift manner, you don't need to be conserned about take off after.
Use the rear brake! It will help!

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
When I had my 250 I practiced panic stops daily...has saved my butt many times

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will be practising more stops - its not that I don't leave killer amounts of distance between me and everyone else its just the fact that these lights switch way to quickly giving you really no notice.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I can squeeze my front brake all the way and still make my tire move when forcing my weight forward and backwards. Is the normal? Never had a problem stopping with it (even emergency stopping). Seeing it praised while I fan force the tire to turn while stopped just seems like we are talking about different bikes here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
if terms of the shortest stopping distance in panic stops, rear brakes provide about 30% of your stopping power, don't underestimate it or under utilize it.

i was in the same situation today, coming up on a yellow and was thinking about flying past but forgot i was on a bike and didn't want to risk being a intersection mortality statistics so I grabbed front and rear and stopped w/ room to spare. go to an empty parking lot and practice panic stops. use just fronts and then front and rear, you'll be amazed.

·
Registered
395 Posts
if terms of the shortest stopping distance in panic stops, rear brakes provide about 30% of your stopping power, don't underestimate it or under utilize it.
This is incorrect. The rear provides only a few percent to zero in overall braking power.

The rear brake can help shift weight to the front and, therefore, allow a quicker, more aggresive use of the front brake with less chance of locking the front.

Remember, once you start braking, the bike's weight shifts to the front. When the weight is in the front, the makes the rear tire very susceptible to locking.

On the same token, if you brake the front hard, you risk locking the front up.

However, if you lock the rear and release, you very probably will highside (flip over) the bike at speeds over 15-20 mph.

·
Registered
162 Posts
This is incorrect. The rear provides only a few percent to zero in overall braking power.

The rear brake can help shift weight to the front and, therefore, allow a quicker, more aggresive use of the front brake with less chance of locking the front.

Remember, once you start braking, the bike's weight shifts to the front. When the weight is in the front, the makes the rear tire very susceptible to locking.

On the same token, if you brake the front hard, you risk locking the front up.

However, if you lock the rear and release, you very probably will highside (flip over) the bike at speeds over 15-20 mph.
I thought that using the rear brake reduced the weight shift to the front end? I've heard that if you lock up your rear, that you need to keep it locked and thats what I do. Can you describe how it results in a high side? I haven't heard a good explanation of this and I haven't quite grasped that concept yet. I'd rather not grasp it in the air.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The 250 of course. ;) I only wish I had that bicycle for the "absurd factor." ;)
LOL. That's genius. I can't imagine squeezing my front brake all the way. I know it would surely lock up. I would highly recommend new brake lines if your getting a full squeeze out of yours.

·
Registered
523 Posts
LOL. That's genius. I can't imagine squeezing my front brake all the way. I know it would surely lock up. I would highly recommend new brake lines if your getting a full squeeze out of yours.
Like I said, I never had a problem stopping. Never needs an excessive squeeze. I'm saying that I can mount my bike, squeeze the lever all the way (an extreme amount) and still move the bike an inch or two by shifting forward and backwards (I DO weigh a lot and it does take all my effort).

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
I thought that using the rear brake reduced the weight shift to the front end? I've heard that if you lock up your rear, that you need to keep it locked and thats what I do. Can you describe how it results in a high side? I haven't heard a good explanation of this and I haven't quite grasped that concept yet. I'd rather not grasp it in the air.

If the rear wheel is out of line with the front while it's locked, if you let it go and it catches traction again, it will snap back in line and possibly toss you off.

·
Registered
44 Posts

I find that comical. The rear brake exist for a reason and it's not b/c it provides marginal braking. when used properly a rear brake WILL allow you to stop in a shorter distance. Shift your body position to the rear of the seat and it'll allow you to apply greater pressure to the front and rear brakes. When you have the friction of the front and rear wheels your gonna stop faster.

or you can be a stunna and use just the fronts.

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
I'm gonna side with purspeed on this one. Even the 250 with it's single caliper has enough braking force to make the rear wheel very light.

I'm sure the rear helps if you can keep it from locking up but I don't think it's 30%. It's not a cruiser.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts