Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to share with everyone something I saw this weekend.

Saturday afternoon I was heading home from Maryland and I was driving my car on I495. I was going a little bit faster than the flow of traffic because I never like being in peoples blind spots. As I was riding I come up behind a new looking gxsr 1300 going the speed limit, so I slow down and ride behind this guy for about a minute or so. Cars were passing this guy and he seemed oblivious to what was going on because he kept riding in peoples blind spots. To me he looked scared, confused, and awkward on the bike. I figured he was a newb that had never ridden and got a hayabusa as his first bike. He was wear low top basketball shoes, jeans, helmet, and a tee shirt. No jacket, no gloves, safety gear.

I was not comfortable driving behind this guy so I moved over the next lane and kept going at my pace, and left him behind. About five minutes later, 5miles down the highway I hear a motorcycle engine revving up to redline, I look into my mirror and see the guy on the hayabusa speeding up on the exit and flying across four lanes of traffic and then he disappeared in the traffic. I was in the middle lane i figured the guy was doing about 120/130 mph when he did that insane pass across four lanes of medium traffic. When I saw the guy riding that way I immediately got a bad feeling and knew something bad was going to happen.

Later, about 3miles down the road I see all the cars slowing down and I instantly said to myself, "that guy has crashed." To my surprise it was just a car with a flat and everyone slowed down. But I still had that bad feeling in my gut.

When I reached my exit to get onto I95 towards Virginia I see traffic slowing down and 6cars pulled over on the side of the road. As I get closer I see the gsxr 1300 completely totaled. The whole front end was destroyed the sides were broken and trashed up. It had slid under a car. I saw the guy walking over to the car that had ran over his bike, I guess he wanted to see the damage. I saw this guys arms and they were completely rashed up and bloody, his jeans were torn and bloody as well. My guess is that he was going way too fast for the curve, panicked, pulled way too much brake, and lowsided causing his bike to go under the car. He was extremely lucky he did not get ran over on the highway. It appeared that his arm might have been broken due to the fact that it was in a weird position as he was walking. I bet his back, and entire body had road rash from the fall. His new 13,000 dollar hayabusa looked totaled to me, his insurance is going to jump out after that accident as well.

That exit is notorious for causing accidents. Every weekend there is a new guardrail being put up because people will slam there cars into it. I felt bad for the guy because he looked to be in great pain, and had lost his bike. Then again he should not have been riding at those speeds. And he also should have had more safety gear on instead of just a helmet, and the only reason why he had one on is because it is a state law over here in Virginia to wear a helmet.

Well everyone just stay safe out there, I ordered a Joe rocket two piece riding suit Saturday so I'll be posting a review on it as soon as I get it and test it out.

-Kermit

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Sucks, he had to learn the hard way.

Shame- it only further deminishes the public's outlook on Sportbikes and even motorcycles as a whole. Maybe he should have done that on a Vespa or Segway!!!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I need to get better at detecting newbies. I'm guessing being one myself makes it that much difficult.. I bet he was partially showing off being that he saw you pass him.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sucks, he had to learn the hard way.

Shame- it only further deminishes the public's outlook on Sportbikes and even motorcycles as a whole. Maybe he should have done that on a Vespa or Segway!!!

Unfortunately, many times, even after an incident like this, many riders like this never learn. I've seen it too many times where somebody will do this, then go out and buy a bike with cash so they don't need full coverage ins., and wreck that bike too.

·
Registered
522 Posts
hmm, some of our illustrious self-taught, ricky roadway racers need to read this...even if they know everything there is to after 2 weeks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Wow that sucks, glad the guy is okay. I don't feel too bad for is bike though. Don't know the whole story, but it's probably his doing.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
kawiforums - guilty until proven innocent

speculate more pls.
How's this: He probably borrowed the bike from a friend of his and that's why he didn't know how to ride it. When he tells his buddy what happened to his 'busa, a broken arm and road rash all over his body will be the least of his troubles. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Speculation?

A guy doing 120/130 crossing 4 lanes of traffic, causes his own accident?

If you think that is speculation, buy life insurance, someone will need it, to bury your ass.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Speculation?

A guy doing 120/130 crossing 4 lanes of traffic, causes his own accident?

If you think that is speculation, buy life insurance, someone will need it, to bury your ass.
what would i need life insurance for, i don't speed like that? anyways, at the start of the first post buddy was driving the speed limit and decided to open er up. whos not to say he was driving the speedlimit down the road in a blind spot when someone turned into him, guess we'll never know wont we.

im just sayin everyone always assumes that its the bikers fault, speed kills yes but so do people on cell phones, soccer moms, ect, ect.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts