Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much cooler now. I left a couple of inches at the top for heat exchange. But i wrapped it back to the cat. Then i painted the whole thing black.

Tell me what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this seems really unnecessay
Well in most places i would agree. But living in FL during the summer time it gets damn hot. I also live in an area with out a real highway so its stop and go driving. I have started to see temps in the 200-214 range. So i changed my Oil, used water wetter and wrapped my exhaust.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Well in most places i would agree. But living in FL during the summer time it gets damn hot. I also live in an area with out a real highway so its stop and go driving. I have started to see temps in the 200-214 range. So i changed my Oil, used water wetter and wrapped my exhaust.
In stop and go even here up North I see 200 - 214 all the time. My bike on the highway is normally in the 190's

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I just dont understand the physics.. how does wrapping them keep them COOLER??? it seemes like wrapping them would prevent the air from dissipating the heat from the pipes-- causing them to be hotter...

Looks great tho! But i've heard that wrapping the pipes causes rust to occur faster, you hear about that?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can see owners doing this mod since the 6R does run on the hot side. As an alternative you could have the header htc coated ( jet coated). That coating is expensive at around $150-200 but it does make the header much much cooler.

Are the 6R headers steel or titanium or stainless steel? I think as long as you ride the bike to heat up the header after washing the bike or riding in rain it should evap the water out of the cloth wrap.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just dont understand the physics.. how does wrapping them keep them COOLER??? it seemes like wrapping them would prevent the air from dissipating the heat from the pipes-- causing them to be hotter...

Looks great tho! But i've heard that wrapping the pipes causes rust to occur faster, you hear about that?

It insulates the headers, so it should help with heat coming off of them (keeping everything else that much cooler) as well as improve exhaust flow. As far as rust goes, it would depend on the header material.

Looks good! Hopefully it won't affect any of the welds.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
200-214 is normal. Your fan will cycle on and off, to maintain the coolant/engine temp. The heat you are feeling is going to be 95% from when your fan kicks on and is blowing the hot air off your radiator and onto you.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

By maintaining a higher exhaust temp from the combustion chamber to the outlet of the exhaust, you will create a scavenging effect. Colder intake air, hotter exhaust gases, will increase this effect. This is the real purpose of header wrap, keeping the hot gases from cooling.

·
Registered
138 Posts
By maintaining a higher exhaust temp from the combustion chamber to the outlet of the exhaust, you will create a scavenging effect. Colder intake air, hotter exhaust gases, will increase this effect. This is the real purpose of header wrap, keeping the hot gases from cooling.
+1! ... Ive been wanting to wrap mine...now I think you got me to do it!

·
Registered
443 Posts
it is damn hot here, i agree! i have been thinking of doing this myself because
sometimes my right shin/ankle get so hot i have to stick my leg out to cool it off!
so did this help the temps or what?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it is damn hot here, i agree! i have been thinking of doing this myself because
sometimes my right shin/ankle get so hot i have to stick my leg out to cool it off!
so did this help the temps or what?

WOW what a difference. This was deff worth my effort. I was told the header material is stainless. I also used all stainless clamps and ties to hold it on with. Then coated it with the DEI 1500 + Silicone paint. So after the initial start the wrap smoked up alot. All that smoking up the bike did gave me an idea.. :D.. So when i came back the smoke had cleared and it was ready to ride. I took it out for a 20 mins ride. My temps never got any higher than 190. In the same spots i would have seen 214. I think this deff helped. I also noticed that when i got moving the temps fell A LOT faster than before. Normally i would sit at a light and watch the temps go up. Then once i got going they would fall about half as fast as they rose. Now they fall back down as quickly as they came up. I go to work tomorrow. So i will put about an hour and a half ride on the wrap. I will post the results.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That looks pretty good. Long as you like it and it helps i guess.

Thanks! After wrapping my WRX exhaust parts and seeing how much that lowered my temps under the hood. I wanted to try it on the bike. It really has helped.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.