Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone wrapped their headers on any bike with heat wrap? I know this increases some performance, but decreases the life of the headers. Does anyone know or have experience with how much it shortens the life of a system?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Not a good idea for a street bike. The tape soaks up water and keeps it right next to the pipe. It's not going to help enough to be measured and will most likely ruin the pipe.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have heard of 2hp gains by wrapping the headers, but I cant feel 2hp. Having the most hp is like a pissing contest anyways. Its how well you can ride the bike that matters!

·
Registered
534 Posts
When you wrap your headers, you spray a coating over them to prevent the wrap from soaking up water and resist solvents. I have it on my t-type headers and downpipe. The only thing I could tell from the wrap was less boost lag. I dont know how much power it free'd up. I dont see why bikes wouldnt benefit from this either.

·
Registered
653 Posts
i had mine wrapped up and i took them off the other week and now i see small patches of rust on little spots like dotted rust spots that sucks on a full exhaust that cost so much damn money but i wont be putting it back on i dont go to the track anymore so i wont need to have it anyway..

casual

·
Registered
534 Posts
Did you spray on that aluminum paint thing before you put on the wrap? It kinda aluminizes the steel from creating rust spots. My brother's old turbo manifold in his integra has wraps as well. I sprayed on that aluminum coating and then the wrap, then that coating that comes with the wrapping kit. when we sold off the manifold..no rust spots at all.

·
Registered
468 Posts
it's gotta help with the heatsoak on hot days... Anyone ever use waterwetter? Apparently it drops coolant temps considerably.

·
Registered
653 Posts
yep i sprayed the aluminum paint on firs but i guess the wrap has been on so log thats why i have a few spots here and there i'll take pics asap
casual

·
Registered
20 Posts
What about high-temp coatings like Jet Hot and the like? I know they're better than wraps for car headers, so I would assume the same would be true for bikes.

·
Registered
185 Posts
the stock pipe on mine is rusty.... is there a point in fixing it... how thick is it, how long will it take before there is a hole :)

·
Registered
653 Posts
i have two extra sets of stock pipes if u want
caual

·
Registered
976 Posts
Originally posted by Six-R
it's gotta help with the heatsoak on hot days... Anyone ever use waterwetter? Apparently it drops coolant temps considerably.
Waterwetter does in fact drop your operating temps but not an appreciable amount to warrant it unless your bike is used strickly for track then many RR Org's require it and disallow typical glycol coolants.

BD

·
Registered
185 Posts
Originally posted by casual
i have two extra sets of stock pipes if u want
caual
well, shipping to norway is a killer ;) it's not not the can itself but the pipes from the outlet in the block to the can...,
probably can fix it and repaint it...

·
Registered
653 Posts
ohh ok i see u are across te world but yeah i was talking about the headers and pipe ful exhaust
good luck
casual

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.