Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well guys it happened i wrecked my 636 tonight. I left my dorm room and went around the turn and gave it a little bit of gas knowing that it was fairly cold tonight which is why i gave it a little and the back end ended up fish tailing on my and then grabbed the through me off the bike. The bike slid on the left side for about 20-30ft. The fairing is cracked on the left side the gas tank is fine my mirror is broken off and my rear blinker is broken. i also broke the face mask on my helmet cause i hit really hard.

This happened at about 10mph and it happened so fast and i couldnt believe that it happened because i was not showing off to anyone or trying to crack the throttle i was being easy as to not make it do that and it did anyways. Ill get up some pictures tomorrow when its light out.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hate that for you man. Hope that everything is ok with you first and then the bike a far second. Did this happen over in Radford?

·
DEATH TO THE ISA!!!
10,796 Posts
Yea I was out riding in DC today and I could feel the wheel sliding a bit when I was braking.

It's getting that time of the year ladies and gentlemen....be extra safe out there.

Glad to hear you're OK.

·
Registered
291 Posts
did you have your choke on? i did that once by mistake on a bike i had - forgot to turn the choke off, and the throttle response is alot more expolisive.. same situation, made a 5mph turn and spun the rear tire clean out from under me

do the 05 models have a choke?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
the 03 and 04 does not have a choke, it has a manual high idle,
the 05 06 has an automatic high idle.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes it happened in radford. Right when i came out of the muse parking lot. I was driving the bike over to my sisters to park it because i was taking it back home monday. I only had it there for the day because my car is getting inspected at home and i didnt want to drive it 200 miles with a bad inspection sticker especially since i passed state troopers on 81 they would have def busted me for that. I was just surprised how it happened cause i mean the bike doesnt have a whole lot of low end torque and i wasnt goosin the throttle or anything it was just a nice slow easy turn and then it was kinda one of those oh **** type things and before i knew it i hit the ground hard flipped once and then came to a dead stop and my bike was sliding past me. But thank god for helmets if i didnt have it on i would have been dead.

oh and on my boots i just noticed when i took them off. From sliding on the ground it grinded down some of the plastic on the side of the boots like were they latch. I couldnt believe how much damage there was though for how slow i was going but i guess it wasnt really a low side type wreck more of a high side id say but the gas tank is fine.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
and I dont buy this bullshit for 1 second. I ride when it's freaking freezing sometimes and you still have
enough grip to get around driving normally. If your smooth you can even give it some gas to an extent.
I think you fucked up. I have ridden in terrible conditions with finished tires . As long as you feel the grip and know your power and know your bike perfectly you wont go down because it was too cold. You will go down if you make a mistake.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
would you change ur mind if you through a brick cross walk into the equation and its not like i was riding for 10 mins before it happened to give the tires a chance to warm up teh slightest bit. The bike was sitting for about an hour or so and then immediately i turned it on and left the parking lot went across that cross walk and im not saying that really had anything to do with it but just as soon as i went over that my tire spun and kicked out sideways and then snapped back and through me off.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
but you gave it a good deal of gas for it to do that..
you were definitly not just cracking it

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
im not exactly sure if it was my screw up or not but from what i remember i was fairly smooth on it but maybe i rolled on a little to hard or too fast i dont really know. it already happened so basically lesson learned and it probably wasnt the best idea to go out at night when its that cold cause i rode it earlier today the 250 miles to get it here and it was perfectly fine until i left the parking lot tonight at then it happend. But ur guess is as good as mine to why it happened.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Originally posted by Tristan
the 03 and 04 does not have a choke, it has a manual high idle,
the 05 06 has an automatic high idle.
isn't that the same thing? owners manual calls it a "choke" too...

"If the engine is cold, pull the choke lever all the way."

feeling argumentative..

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
yes the manual uses that term to make things simpler for the "mechanically challenged" .
The 03 and up are fuel injected ... thus no carburetor. A choke is a mechanical device
on a carburetor which restricts air from entering the carb thus allowing the suction to pull in more gas
via the jet so the motor gets a rich mixture while its cold. This is needed because when everything is cold the vaporised air/fuel mixture condenses on the cold metal as it heads into the combustion chamber.
Having a rich mixture overcomes this until the motor is warm.
On a fuel injected bike there is no mechanical choke, but a computer and sensors and pre-programmed
instructions. Your so called "choke" simply lets a bit more air in, thats it, thats all. When you turn the key on,(fuel injected bikes) your injectors shoots a bit of gas in the combustion chamber replacing the initial need for a choke like device, and the high idle elevates the rpm enough for the motor to run well while its warming up. They simply call it a choke so people use it as it was intended for, ..to warm the bike up.. Please let me know if anything is unclear

edit-- sorry to jack the thread, and to the original poster; I do feel bad for you. I feel very verylucky that I put mine away unscratched . Breaks my heart to see all these wrecked 05 06 bikes.
Most of the time it was just a small human error and bam; the bike is fucked bad. We must constantly fear this .

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,424 Posts
Originally posted by 04GTMustang
im not exactly sure if it was my screw up or not but from what i remember i was fairly smooth on it but maybe i rolled on a little to hard or too fast i dont really know. it already happened so basically lesson learned and it probably wasnt the best idea to go out at night when its that cold cause i rode it earlier today the 250 miles to get it here and it was perfectly fine until i left the parking lot tonight at then it happend. But ur guess is as good as mine to why it happened.
I feel you, man...at the University of South Florida to leave the library you have to turn left across two lanes and a very wide median, and there's a painted crosswalk in the road, and whatever they used to paint that crosswalk with, if you hit it at ANY lean, or ANY throttle, it'll spin right up even in the middle of the summer when it's nice and dry. I almost highsided my old 6E spinning up the rear, and that thing was a power-anemic tank, and I was barely on the throttle at all. And you really have no traction, especially over cobblestones.

What I think might have happend to you is if you were in any slight lean and your rear tire hit an uneven patch of stone paving it might have hopped, and any loss of contact under any throttle will spin that bitch right up. Bam, instant highside. Sounds very plausible to me. I've had my tire spin up and kick me into an instant 3rd gear power wheelie under moderate throttle just going over a little shallow pothole in the road.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.