Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrecked about a month ago, I hit a deer at a speed I'm not going to mention. Aside from the broken bones, the bike was totalled by the insurance company. Here's my problem. I can buy it back salvage for $1500, with a "shop estimate" of $7k in parts repairs (no labor), which is a load of crap, since I can get the parts on Ron Ayers for $5.2k, or eBay for $3.7k, or I can just scrap it and get a new one.

I'm torn between fixing it myself for a total of $5200 (including salvage), buying a new one, or trying to sell the salvage bike at a small profit. I've replaced parts on a bike before, but I'm concerned that with this much damange that I may screw it up and put myself in danger when riding it again. I'm also confused, because the shop (which I think is a bunch of crooks), said the forks needed to be replaced, but they look fine, and that the frame was damaged, but it's just scratched from what I can tell. I'm also concerned that they didn't actually list everything that needs fixing, since the repair price went beyond the bike's worth. For example, the stator cover is pretty banged up, and that's not on the list.

Can anyone offer some adivce?

Here's a pic and a comparison of prices from their repair estimate.

http://www.sebastiano.name/BikeRepairs2.xls

·
Registered
390 Posts
From what I can see and from what you are saying, I would try and sell it and look at get a new one. Good to know that you are alright and you are on the meand.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The way I see it, you have 3 options.

1. Buy it back and rebuild it.

2. Buy it back, buy another 2005, and use the totalled bike as a parts bike, or sell the good pieces.

3. Cut your losses and let the insurance company keep it.

Since it sounds like you'd have a shop do the work if you rebuild it, option one isnt going to be very cost-effective. That leaves either option two or three. If you want to get another '05, I'd pick option 2. If not, don't bother buying it back, and use the $1500 towards a new bike.

·
Registered
342 Posts
What I would do? Get a new bike in the meantime and if your sure theres no major damage like frame or forks buy that sucker back and slowely put it back together. Then you have 2 bikes and ones paid for. In my accident my bike looked just like yours and my insurance didnt cover it at the time (long story). So I had to eat it all and fix it myself, parts came to about 2,000 and I didnt even get everything done yet. Get a new one and fix the old one. But thats just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know how to tell if the frame or forks are really bent? I'm thinking about just paying another shop to tell me, but my visual inspection indicates that they're fine. Of course, a small imperfection at track speeds will be far more apparent.

I was trying to avoid having a brand new bike payment next year, so having two bikes might be tough. I guess I can always keep this one and decide next year when the 07's come out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I say buy it back, take it apart and sell it on eBay! You WILL make your money back, and then some. Then just buy a new bike next season.

·
Where is hoser??
17,340 Posts
Buy it back and make it into a track bike.

--David

·
Registered
188 Posts
This is how i see it in my two-cent-opinion. I would let the insurance company keep it. You don't know if the frame or forks are bent for sure, i'm assuming. Rebuilding the bike probably isn't worth it since it will cost $1,500 just to buy the hunk of mangled bike back from the insurance company. Then you're talking about $3,000 for parts to fix it. The only right way to rebuild the bike is to strip it down to the bare frame and have the frame checked for straightness, have the forks measured for straightness, have the swingarm measured for straightness and the list just keeps going on and on. And once your all done putting $5,000 into the nicely rebuilt bike it will be worth only about $3.5 - $4K for resale value. I rebuilt my CBR myself using new and used parts.. it cost me around $4,000 total including the cost to purchase the wrecked bike. My bike is a 1995, yours is a 2005 so prices will be higher for your parts than mine were this past year. I will say that rebuilding my bike gave me a chance to buy a lot of aftermarket parts that i wanted, instead of OEM'ers. It took me one year, a lot of patience, and a lot of $ to get it right. But if you want to rebuild it of course it's an option. If you want someone to do the work for you.. let me know ... i'll only charge $2,000. for labor. But then you might as well take that money and buy a new bike.

·
Registered
488 Posts
i would make it a track bike...but im sure a few ppl on here would consider buying it for $1500 to take it off your hands.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Originally posted by Efflo
I say buy it back, take it apart and sell it on eBay! You WILL make your money back, and then some. Then just buy a new bike next season.
[:+1] Probably get most of the money back on engine alone...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I agree with cordless. Make it a stunt bike and get a new bike or sell it to me so I can make it a stunt bike. Bike doesnt look like it would need a whole lot of work to get it back into shape.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Buy it back, go on ebay buy the parts you need and ride, if its your first bike you/it just might go down again. If you just have to have a prefect looking bike still buy it back and part it out on ebay.

You will make back at least 2x the $1500 that you pay to buy it back. :D

Or, if you really want to have some fun, buy it back put some race bodywork on it go do some track days/racing, you just might not ride on the street anymore. I know I dont do as much street riding anymore.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Buy it back without a doubt... IMO, I'd rebuild it but I wouldn't be paying your stealership prices to buy parts and do the rebuild

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.