Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang! This is a easy and cheap way to rid the color from anodized aluminum, if you need or want. ie: I changed bikes and colors and kepy some small parts that needed to match.

This can be very dangerous because of the created acid and heat, so if you attemp this, be very careful and I take no resposibility for injuries. This is what I did and how I did it.

What you will need:

1. Your small parts. In this write up, I used my wheel stem caps.

2. A container. I used a glass container so that there was no chance of the heat and acid of damaging it.

3. Now this may sound weird, but you will need Drano Kitchen Crystals. This is where the acid comes to play when in contact with water. This is, as far as I know, the only drano product that will do the trick. Handle cautiously and with care.

4. Place your parts in your container. If you are doing allot of parts, I would recomend not doing all of them at once.

5. Add cold water to the container with your parts. You dont need much. Fill about an inch to inch and a half above the parts.

6. Now you are going to add the crystals to the water. I did not measure how much to add but you will notice the water changing. Add enough to where the parts will be sitting in the crystals at the bottom of the container.

7. In this pic, you can see the effect and get an idea of how much crystals to add.

8. I then mixed it up by swishing and swaying the container, by hand.

NOTE: The crystals will make the water very hot and can produce dangerous fumes. This is why I did this in the tub with the cold water on from my shower head. I did not use gloves or a mask, but this is not something I recommend doing. If you choose not to use gloves or a mask, do so at your own risk and please be careful.

9. Now let your parts sit in the water and crystal mixture for a few minutes, keeping an eye on it. You will notice the water will bubble and fume. This is normal for the acid is doing its job. You can carefully swish the container around after a minute to make sure its taking effect all over the parts.

10. Ok. After the few minutes, run cold water over and into the container, cooling everything down. Another reason why I did this in the tub. If the mixture runs over, it will all go down the drain. Hell... it's Drano, right!? LOL. Make sure you get everything cooled off, then just pour everything out and completly rinse your parts.

11. Here you will see that the color is completly out and removed from the aluminum. Some aluminum will turn dark and some will not turn at all. I assume it's the type of aluminum that causes this effect. My caps turned slightly, as you will notice.

12. Now, for my caps, I placed a screw in the opening to make it easier to handle.

13. Since my caps turned a little dark, I used a dremal with a cleaning wheel. This will remove the darkened surface from the aluminum making it easier to polish or paint.

14. Here you will see the "almost" finnished cap. Now the silver overspray on my fingers was from another job I was doing at the same time so the cap is not painted at this time.

15. You can see here, the difference between the caps. One was buffed with the dremal and the other was not. This is just to show the darkened part and how it looks better when you buff out your parts.

16. Now I decided to paint my caps to match my wheels. I used the Dupli-Color Metalcast Red. It gives a nice anodized look and it is heat resistant to 500 degrees. I did not show how to paint these caps but if you choose to use the Metalcast paint for an anodized look, remember to do very light coats and the more coats you use, the darker the anodized look will be.

I hope this will be useful. Let me know what you think and how it went if you use this method. Just my contributation to the forum and my riding family. Cheers!

·
Registered
586 Posts
do u think that would work for rusted bolts and screws? my gas cap screws and a few on the bars have some rust on the heads..just curious..iv tryed the peroxide bath but it didnt do much

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Easy Off oven cleaner does this very well also, i have been doing it for years ever sense i was into R/C. Good write up though, but unfortunately not very effective on large parts without lots of Draino, thats where the Easy Off makes it good. Also that Metalcast paint is nice, i have painted quite a few things with it, and i use an automotive clear coat over it, so its super strong and looks great.
Ben

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do u think that would work for rusted bolts and screws? my gas cap screws and a few on the bars have some rust on the heads..just curious..iv tryed the peroxide bath but it didnt do much
I can't say yes or no, for I have not tried it. For rusted bolts, I just stick with CLR. I have had good luck with this product. It can be found at Home Depot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts