Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
watched this:

on yamaha website it says:

All Supersport bikes start life as stock production bikes of 600cc (for four-cylinders) or 750cc (for two-cylinders) but with much tighter tuning regulations than in WSB. The chassis of a Supersport machine must remain largely as standard, while engine tuning is possible but tightly regulated. As in WSB, a control tyre is used, although Supersport regulations dictate that the rubber must be road legal and therefore slicks are not allowed. Currently there is one World Supersport race at every World Superbike round.

Starting positions are decided by the riders’ fastest lap from one 45-minute qualifying session and each race is approximately 100km long. Traditionally Supersport has produced one of the most hotly contested championships in the world and with the 600cc sportsbike class continuing in popularity the series looks set to rise in importance and popularity.

Certainly they are ripping it, but curiously in this race 3 had rear tire flat.
What tires are they using ?

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I think thet are slightly different than the normal Supercorsa SC, Rawb. I think it's a WSS specific tire based off the SC, I think it actually says WSS on the sidewall.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Just did some research, looks like they are Supercorsa SP's now. A couple years ago I rode a Yamaha that had some WSS take offs on it, I think they were a slightly different tire than they run now.

·
Registered
28,591 Posts

·
Registered
28,787 Posts

·
Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
36,924 Posts
Wasn't that the WSS race where the tires were slipping on the rims?

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
They don't list the SC anymore at all. They have sold that tire for years, and now list the SP on their US site as the WSS tire.

Pirelli lists conflicting information on their web site.

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Either way, I think the only thing that has to match a DOT tire is the tread pattern. I am not convinced the carcass or compound is the same as the normal SP or SC that you can buy. Boy the SC and SP have the same tread pattern, so if Pirelli runs a special WSS tire that only has to match a DOT in tread pattern, they could claim they run a SP or SC.

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
They list the sc on their european website. sp site says something to the effect of 'derived from world supersport technology'

1 - 13 of 13 Posts