Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

About a week ago I had my very first crash with my 2001 ZX6R. Was a lowside with minor damage except for the forks when it was still driving without me into the end of the ditch it landed it before.

Since I gotta switch my forks now, I wanna upgrade to Upside Down Forks.
The way it looks I could keep my yellow rim with the 03/04 forks.

My list of 03/04 parts:

• Forks (both sides, with tubes, Upper&Lower tripples, springs and fork caps, etc.)
  • Clip ons
  • Axle
  • Rotors
  • Callipers with enough pads

I have no idea what I really need. I hope that would be it to get the conversion completed.

Please ship to the UPS store in Ogdensburg NYm :) I'd like to get everything ASAP.

Still riding it but very careful with no fun since I need it for getting to work but can't have anything more damaged.

· That Fighter Guy
2006 Kawasaki ZZR600 street fighter
15,167 Posts
Hey guys,

About a week ago I had my very first crash with my 2001 ZX6R. Was a lowside with minor damage except for the forks when it was still driving without me into the end of the ditch it landed it before.

Since I gotta switch my forks now, I wanna upgrade to Upside Down Forks.
The way it looks I could keep my yellow rim with the 03/04 forks.

My list of 03/04 parts:

• Forks (both sides, with tubes, Upper&Lower tripples, springs and fork caps, etc.)
  • Clip ons CBR CLIP ONS WILL ALLOW YOU TO KEEP YOUR RAM AIR COVERS, ZX6R ONES WILL NOT (TOO LOW)
  • Axle DON'T NEED, YOUR OEM ONE WILL WORK
  • Rotors DON'T NEED, WON'T WORK WITH YOUR WHEEL
  • Callipers with enough pads SO MANY OPTIONS FOR CALIPERS THANKS TO THE USD FORK SWAP
I have no idea what I really need. I hope that would be it to get the conversion completed.

Please ship to the UPS store in Ogdensburg NYm :) I'd like to get everything ASAP.

Still riding it but very careful with no fun since I need it for getting to work but can't have anything more damaged.
See bold above.

Just so you know, the front wheel on your bike and the 03/04 ZX6R look the same, but they're in fact different. With that said, the 03/04 rotors will not work on your front wheel; wrong bolt spacing and flat rather than offset like your wheel needs. Use your wheel and rotors, but you'll need 10 mm spacers on the 03/04 forks to fit the calipers on correctly. 05-08 forks won't require spacers since those models used 300 mm rotors instead of the 280 mm in 03/04. Also your OEM axle, assuming it's undamaged, will work with the USD forks, so you don't need one.

Also, I have a set of Nissin calipers that come on the 07-10 ZX6R that I decided not to use. They come with fairly fresh pads (not new, but still barely worn). They will bolt up to the 03-present forks, whichever you decide to go with. Or I could let you take my gold Tokico calipers with lightly used Galfer pads, whichever you prefer. The Nissins are better calipers, but I'll let the Tokicos go much cheaper. Talk to kaoss_11 also, he's got some good calipers that'll work also.

And finally, if you have anymore questions, you can PM me. I have done the swap and can tell you anything you need to know. :thumbup:

· Registered
2,547 Posts
See bold above.

Just so you know, the front wheel on your bike and the 03/04 ZX6R look the same, but they're in fact different. With that said, the 03/04 rotors will not work on your front wheel; wrong bolt spacing and flat rather than offset like your wheel needs. Use your wheel and rotors, but you'll need 10 mm spacers on the 03/04 forks to fit the calipers on correctly. 05-08 forks won't require spacers since those models used 300 mm rotors instead of the 280 mm in 03/04. Also your OEM axle, assuming it's undamaged, will work with the USD forks, so you don't need one.

Also, I have a set of Nissin calipers that come on the 07-10 ZX6R that I decided not to use. They come with fairly fresh pads (not new, but still barely worn). They will bolt up to the 03-present forks, whichever you decide to go with. Or I could let you take my gold Tokico calipers with lightly used Galfer pads, whichever you prefer. The Nissins are better calipers, but I'll let the Tokicos go much cheaper. Talk to kaoss_11 also, he's got some good calipers that'll work also.

And finally, if you have anymore questions, you can PM me. I have done the swap and can tell you anything you need to know. :thumbup:

true on everything here. I have so much parts I really need to start letting this shit go.

· That Fighter Guy
2006 Kawasaki ZZR600 street fighter
15,167 Posts
true on everything here. I have so much parts I really need to start letting this shit go.
LOL. Might as well unload, man. I'd take those ZX10R rotors off of your hands if I had some more cash on hand. I should think 310 mm rotors would make for a bit better stopping power.

Oh and OP, if you get an 03/04 front wheel, it'll allow you to run the wave rotors off of the 05 and newer ZX6R and ZX10R. The difference in the wheels is the width of the hub (where the bearing are housed and the axle goes through) and the bolt pattern for the rotors. The 03/04 is wider, thus a flat rotor is used, but the ZZR/old school wheel is thinner, thus an off set rotor is needed.

· Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks guys for the great and quick replies!

So I'd like to go with the 05/06 forks since I wouldn't need spacers for the rotors plus a local race parts dealer has that yr of forks in stock.

I've forgot to mention that I probably would need upper and lower triples as well.
Any offers for those?

EDIT: How about my OEM stem? I heard you just need to make a bushing for the upper triple to make it fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.