Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i accidently left my bike out in the driveway the night before only to wake up to a pouring thunderstorm. half asleep, i decided the bike was already wet and bringing it in wouldnt make a difference.

i rode the bike that night and it ran fine. rode it this morning, it ran fine. this afternoon, i was in an intersection waiting to make a left at a major intersection and the bike stalled. full choke and it just cranked. wouldnt start. finally i got it to start.

made it about a mile and it stalled again. 5 minutes of cranking later, it started and ran really crappy but enough to make it home. i determined there must be water in the tank since it ran fine before it rained.

drained the tank, drained the bowls. it SEEMED to run better and did run better for about 30 seconds. then i couldnt get it to idle at all. then it wouldnt start. so i drained the tank again. it started but wouldnt run unless i kept it at 3000 rpm. after 10 minutes of letting it idle at 3000, it finally didnt need my help to maintain idle.

not sure what exactly the problem was but my guess is ninjas are not completely waterproof. i learned my lesson.

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
not sure what exactly the problem was but my guess is ninjas are not completely waterproof. i learned my lesson.
Sounds fishy! I rode all my bikes in the puring rain. Not that any of those rides were planned wet rides, but the rain simply just came down. Both 2005 ZX6R's had no problems ever, the 1999 ZX6R was fine as well. Simply put, they are not afraid of rain. Maybe it was a coincidence or possibly a freak accident with water seeping into the tank some how.

ILYA

·
yut uuuuugh!
5,344 Posts
I dunno man, I did some work on the bike the other day. I had all the fairings off and went to start the bike up for some reason. Well, it wouldn't start. It would crank, but not go. I did some hunting and found nothing. Later in the day I tried again and she ran just fine. I think it had to do with the fact that when I was working earlier it was pouring, and the humidity was like 110%! Later on it was back to "normal levels".

maybe that had something to do with your issues?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dunno, today was a beautiful day. it rained long and hard yesterday so im thinking it must have seeped in somehow. there was definitely water in there, i used clear containers to check it out. after i had done the draining and had it at least running, i took it out and as long as i kept it up there, it ran like normal. but once i came to a stop and tried to let her idle, she got all sputtery.

another possibility is that one of the carbs got a little something maybe from the bottom of the tank. running it for a while might have cleaned it out.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I wouldn't have guessed water in the gas as quick as water on the elctronics. Alot of them have rubber boots to protect the connections that dry and harden over time causing them to let water in. Also connection may also become loose causing water to be able to get in.
Go to the auto store and get the spray that drys wires and repels water. Pull your seat, tank and air box and spray down your wiring harnesses. While your there check the connections you can find and make sure the cover for your fusebox is on tight. Your bike should be water proof from the factory but it doesn't always stay that way with all the vibrating and weather.
If it is water in your tank I think the auto store as some pour in stuff to solve that too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts