Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are 02-03 9r's fuel injected?? the reason I ask is my wife just upgraded to an 06 gsxr 750 and it really makes me want to go a little newer... but I don't want a zx10 and I'd like to stay with kawi, so if the newer zx9 is injected then thats what I want, however if they aren't then I just don't know I guess I'd just keep mine since it's been mostly upgraded to all the newer parts anyway.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Ive heard poeple using the FI off of a Z1000. It can be done.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Originally posted by parisdreams
The question is why werent they? Huh kawasaki engineers?
if memory serves me correct...kawi didn't use FI on any sportbikes until '04. and i'm sure the decision to stop porduction of the zx9 was made in late '02 or early '03.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Originally posted by ******

if memory serves me correct...kawi didn't use FI on any sportbikes until '04. and i'm sure the decision to stop porduction of the zx9 was made in late '02 or early '03.
There are no factory FI zx9's. Amd Kawi did have FI before 04. The 2003 zx6r and zx6rr's are both FI.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Plus the 2003 z1000 is nothing more than the zx9r motor with a bigger bore(953cc). If you want to FI a nine, just get a Z1000 and start transplanting parts.

·
Registered
748 Posts
i knew the zed powerplant was a derivative of the zx9 motor...and i'm sure it could be done...that would be a kewl project.... but i couldn't imagine being without the bike for the amount of time it would take to do the conversion and tuning... unless it has previously been done and i had access to all the settings.

[:p]

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kilaman - tell you what, sounds like you want to experiment... so as long as you fund it you can take mine and get to work on it, just let me know when its done:D

·
Registered
367 Posts
the Z1000 uses a very different head to a ZX9R...

it uses side draft throttle bodies for that old school look (and less power too) compared to the ZX9's down draft carbs

so i doubt it would all bolt up very easily... would be better off to go with something off a proper EFI sports bike like a 929/954, R1 or GSXR etc...

have a look here for the specs on the throttle bodies..

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?t=6627

then check out ebay for the parts, $100-150 is the going rate for a set including injectors, fuel rail and regulator

you might be able to use a Z1000 computer, as the timing rotor/cam sensor might be the same, but you will need a power commander on top of that to tune it.... you would be better off waiting for a microsquirt, should be out in a few months...

look here for more: http://www.microsquirt.info/

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
You would consider selling that bike with that paint job just to get another 9r if it were fuel injected? Thats a hot paint job, hold onto that bike!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Although a little more tunable FI is not that big of a advantage over a good set of carb (ie Flatslides). I have never seen a match FI bike run away from a carb'd bike. After all with a near unlimeted budget all MotoGP bike are still carb'd.

·
Registered
367 Posts
125GP and 250GP bikes use carbs cause they are 2 strokes, but MotoGP bikes are definately EFI. i remember seeing a yamaha M1 motor fitted with flatslides during development, but that was a while ago

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.