Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 636. This really only happens when i'm maintaining a steady speed and steady RPM in all gears. The throttle is very jumpy or choppy but it does not hesitate when I get on it and it doesn't die on me. I'm going to put in some fuel injector cleaner and dry gas. Later in the week I'm going to replace the air filter and spark plugs. There are 11,xxx miles on the bike and the plugs, filter, ect might be the original (I'm not the original owner). Has anyone else had this problem?? I don't know if it makes a difference but the bike is kept outside covered and it rained very heavily the past two days.

Thanks in advance!

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
mine did that same thing. i put over 20,000 miles on my original plugs btw

mine turned out to be the kick stand safety switch. it may not be your problem, but it's easy to rule out. theres 2 wires going to the kickstand, cut them, wire them together.

cut them so you can wire them back if you want, if it's your problem, you can put another switch on if you want.

i went thru 3 months of hell over that dam switch, swapped numerous parts, took my tank off and pump out 4 times.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to pull the tank off when it stops raining, change the plugs, and the air filter to see what that does. Anything else I should look for while I have the engine exposed??

The plugs and the filter need to be replaced anyway but if that doesn't worj then I'll try the kickstand safety switch. It almost feels like the bike is running on 3 cylinders. The problem started last week and today it just really bad. I used to be able to just get on it to clear it out and it would be fine.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
could be plugs and filter, check the hoses and make sure they're hooked up. make sure the plug boots are connected good.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.. I'm tired from work and not thinking super clearly BUT..

Could it be a chain issue? A sticking point in your chain would give a choppy feel, no?

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.. I'm tired from work and not thinking super clearly BUT..

Could it be a chain issue? A sticking point in your chain would give a choppy feel, no?
chain will give noise. it won't effect engine performance

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
OK thanks for all your help man I really appreciate it
let me know how it comes out, you may need to pm me foe more help, or just post up for others to chime in with their thoughts.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
no, they are hella expensive and hardly ever cause trouble. ever
might want to take a look at them though, cant hurt....I just had a problem with mine...the thing wouldnt rev in the upper rpms..just kept breaking up...had a bad coil on number one cylinder, it wasnt making a good contact withthe plug, took the coil apart and "" ADJUSTED "" it, and its fine now..

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
might want to take a look at them though, cant hurt....I just had a problem with mine...the thing wouldnt rev in the upper rpms..just kept breaking up...had a bad coil on number one cylinder, it wasnt making a good contact withthe plug, took the coil apart and "" ADJUSTED "" it, and its fine now..
thanks kirk, keep the dude in mind. i'm waiting to see what results he post's up and go from there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like I said I cant do anything until the rain lets up. I'm at school so I'll have to try to find someone with a multi meter is I need to search for an electrical issue. Hopefully I'll get a small window to work in tomorrow to pull the tank change the plugs, look for anything, then change the air filter. I hope this works I'm starting to freak out because she isn't running right. Thanks for all the help I'll keep you guys informed as it goes.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Like I said I cant do anything until the rain lets up. I'm at school so I'll have to try to find someone with a multi meter is I need to search for an electrical issue. Hopefully I'll get a small window to work in tomorrow to pull the tank change the plugs, look for anything, then change the air filter. I hope this works I'm starting to freak out because she isn't running right. Thanks for all the help I'll keep you guys informed as it goes.
don't let it get to ya man. i'm sure it's something simple. the 03'-04's are bullet proof lol

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
don't let it get to ya man. i'm sure it's something simple. the 03'-04's are bullet proof lol
x2 dont let it piss u off, just take your time and make sure u look & check everything that has been mentioned through out the post and let us no what u come up with

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright, so on my way to put some fresh gas in her, it was running even worse. When I got to the gas station and opened the tank, There was water inside the inner lip of the tank. Did this happen to anyone else? I put dry gas in it, topped her off, and rode to the auto part store to get new plugs.

The engine seemed to start to clear out on the way back. I replaced the air cleaner and the plugs. The old ones were still in good shape though. Anyway I took it for a quick ride because it was raining and she runs fine again.

I'm thinking I should get another gasket for the tank because of the water. Thanks guys for all your help, especially Warbuk you guys rock!!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts