Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the lower fairings to change the coolant and put everything back together fine. Now, the right side allen bolt (the one closest to the rear brake/rearset) won't thread into the hole. It came out fine, but now it doesn't want to seem to go back in. I'm about to take it to the stealership and tell them to fix it under warranty. The left side bolt went in perfectly, so I don't know what to do. I took a flashlight and looked into the hole and it looks like the first thread or two aren't drilled properly. Any suggestions? :(

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Are you sure there isn't meant to be a metal clip that has fallen out? It's like a 'U' shape piece of metal that has a thread on one side, and just a hole on the other. There's a small tab that's meant to be pushed in on the clip, to make sure it stays in place when the bolt/screw is removed. If it looks like there's just an oversized hole where the screw goes, then have a look on the floor and in the lower fairing to see if it's dropped in/off somewhere..

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Originally posted by keith_phan
alloy frame are soft, mounting point often crossthread if youre no careful. retap it, simple fix
Agreed. Take the fairing off againa nd see if you can thread the bolt in without having to deal with the fairing. If it goes in fine, then try with the fairing again and make sure you line everything up right this time.

If it doesn't go in, chase the threads on the mount point with a tap to clean up the threads. Not a big deal.

If its one of the mount points that use the rubber encased threads, they should be the same as the ones used for mounting the windscreen.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's no rubber wellnut used on the big screws (the big hole mount points). So I should just tap the screw into the hole with a rubber mallet or something right? I don't want to strip the hole anything so I want to make sure. Thanks

·
Registered
550 Posts
Originally posted by IcePick06
There's no rubber wellnut used on the big screws (the big hole mount points). So I should just tap the screw into the hole with a rubber mallet or something right? I don't want to strip the hole anything so I want to make sure. Thanks

Uhhhh, no. Not unless you want to make sure the threads are good and screwed up. A "tap" is a thing that is used to cut threads - it looks like a tapered screw, and the threads are sharp so it can make smooth holes into threaded holes. Take the bolt to a hardware store and tell them you need a tap (and handle) for that size hole.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I've seen screw taps before. I didn't have a good feeling about tapping the screw in but I forgot to mention that it does kind of start to catch, but then it falls out, so I'm thinking the first thread or two are "screwed up" no pun intended (lol). Therefore, I was going to try and just help the screw along by tapping it in lightly before using the allen wrench to finish the job. Thanks for the help though.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Dealer also wont cover stripped holes under warranty. That is owner/operator error on that one. Go and get a tap and fix it yourself.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I just bought a 6mm tap and a handle to use it from ACE hardware. Now, what's the best/easiest way to successfully do this little project. Should I just put some WD-40 on the tap and turn it back and forth in the stripped hole and once it's in turn it clockwise until the threads match up?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Originally posted by IcePick06
So I just bought a 6mm tap and a handle to use it from ACE hardware. Now, what's the best/easiest way to successfully do this little project. Should I just put some WD-40 on the tap and turn it back and forth in the stripped hole and once it's in turn it clockwise until the threads match up?
That is pretty much it. Just take your time and dont try to force it. Let the cutting edges clean up the threads and you will be good to go. You will be more pissed than you started out if you try to force it and the tap breaks off in the hole. [xx(]

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well Thanks guys... I lined up the tap and screw to make sure the pitch was correct on both as I had the correct diameter (6mm), then I slowly threaded the tap in and turned it until it drove all the way through the hole. Then I crossed my fingers and put the screw in, and thank GOD it went in smooth as butter! [8D] So she's all buttoned up and ready to hit the corners again. Well, I'm off to Laguna for the weekend to watch the races...PEACE:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.