Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm a little concerned. I'm replacing the fork springs in my other bike (SV 650..but it doesn't matter which bike...and all the SV forums i've found really suck). I just pulled them apart and pulled the springs out. I bought a set of stiffer racetech springs off of ebay a couple weeks ago. I just compared the stock springs to the "racetech" ones and the new springs are much shorter. I'm talkin like 4-5 inches shorter. This can't be right.

1. Did I get screwed?
2. If yes, how do I go about reporting that douchenozzle to paypal? I can get my money back, right?

3. If no, please enlighten me.

-Mods, move this thread wherever it belongs. I figured those who had experience with this would be in the roadracing forum.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Yeah you just use the dispute option. Then if paypal won't give you ypur money back you can file a chargeback. Easy...

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Its not uncommon to have to make a new spacer for springs.

but yes...check the race tech site against what you got.

Disputes are handled through paypal now. To get money back you'll have to hope he's a nice guy, or return them to him ON YOUR DIME to get a refund. But at least the paypal dispute approach covers your total purchase price....including shipping and with no deductible.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well shit...i don't know how to make my own spacers!

the dude listed them as new, but they got here in a pretty shitty, old looking box. i couldn't tell in the pic. is there a part number listed on the spring itslef? i don't think the box will do me much good.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
you can make the spacer out of a piece of PVC pie, electrical conduit...any sort of tubing.

good luck

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you can make the spacer out of a piece of PVC pie, electrical conduit...any sort of tubing.

good luck

how do I know how long to make the spacer? what distance do i measure?

jbreit-did you mention that in your how-to? I read through it a while back and don't remember anything about cutting new spacers. but yours was just a fork seal replacement DIY, right? i'll have to go back and look at it again

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was just thinking about it...can i just measure the difference in spring length and add that to the original spacer? would that work?

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
no, I didn't cover this...spring and valving work is so application specific....and I am no pro at it.

if you take the difference in spring length and add it to the stock spacer, it will be a little hard...ie: too much preload. The length will be close to that, but a little shorter, because you are compressing a stiffer spring. You need to measure the pre-loading the spring has when installed in the fork. You need a couple measurements, and need to know what the spring rates are of the old and new springs...

I can either look for or make a write up for it later...

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no, I didn't cover this...spring and valving work is so application specific....and I am no pro at it.

if you take the difference in spring length and add it to the stock spacer, it will be a little hard...ie: too much preload. The length will be close to that, but a little shorter, because you are compressing a stiffer spring. You need to measure the pre-loading the spring has when installed in the fork. You need a couple measurements, and need to know what the spring rates are of the old and new springs...

I can either look for or make a write up for it later...

CHIT!! i've got a trackday early october that i'm trying to get my shit ready for. and i'm a full time student so i don't have a lot of time to do some trial and error crap on spacer length.

i emailed the dude. he's a fuggin cock goblin. he got me. he played the "i didn't specifically mention the spacers and washers" card so i'm screwed. he's right. it didn't say anything about them. i just assumed. stuipd me...

dude if you could hook me up and explain to me how to do it, i would love you forever (platonically, of course).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts