Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
They've released the feature already. All in all, they liked it a lot, here's some quotes from http://www.motorcycle.com
"This isn't the first time weve heard the old "Open class power with 600 size and handling" cliche' from a sportbike manufacturer. However, to my knowledge this is the first time its actually been delivered."
"On these race spec tires and with the forks raised 5mm in the triple clamps, the biggest Ninja actually turned-in and changed direction quicker and easier than the ZX-6R I raced in the Fontana AMA Superstock event this year.
"It seems true then, this actually is a 155+ Hp full-steam-ahead liter bike that handles as well or better than most modern 600s."
"If you think it takes a lot of power to spin a superbike spec slick in a straight line, or start effortless wheelies at over 120mph without using the clutch, you're right. Kawasaki claims 175Hp at the crank without ram-air and 184Hp at the crank when air is being pushed in at speed. The last GSX-R 1000 that MO tested made 157Hp at the rear tire and this new Kawasaki feels at least as fast at lower speeds and noticeably faster at higher speeds where the ram-air is most effective."
"At the other end of the straights, the top-end rush is quite impressive and the engine revs quite freely through its 13,000rpm redline and hits a very soft rev limiter shortly thereafter."
"I've yet to sample finer brakes on a Japanese sportbike. In addition to the excellent brakes the new "slipper" clutch that Kawasaki is using worked flawlessly through out the track sessions."
"Like the 2003 ZX-6RR and ZX-6R, the new ZX-10R shows good attention to detail throughout."
"The more comfortable -though still racetrack aggressive- ergos are nice, but the flatter seat isn't ideal for a bike that accellerates as hard as the new ZX-10R does. Our test bikes didn't have the optional seat cowl/butt-stops on them so my hands and forearms quickly grew tired from trying to hang-on as this beast accellerated down the front and back straights. I suppose this isn't such a bad problem to have."
"Stay-tuned for a street impression of the ZX-10R in a month or two and a full-blown Open Class Shootout in three to four months. Honda and Yamaha also have all-new or heavily revised open class sportbikes for 2004. I hope for their sake, that they've been doing their homework, because the 2004 ZX-10R isn't pulling any punches."

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Routa, great post, although that's from www.motorcycle.com.

The feature I said to keep checking for is at www.motorcycleusa.com, which still isn't out. I'll watch for the test and post when it's available unless somebody beats me to it.

Sounds like the bike is well-liked in your article, and definitely sounds like it will be faster than the GSX-R. (Dear GAWD why would anyone need that?) Oh well, glad Kawasaki's got it.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Originally posted by dj dunzie
Routa, great post, although that's from www.motorcycle.com.

The feature I said to keep checking for is at www.motorcycleusa.com, which still isn't out. I'll watch for the test and post when it's available unless somebody beats me to it.
My bad, I can't read anymore :D

Anyway, do post that article after it comes out. These tests are about the only thing that keeps me sane in winter months (apart from sitting on my bike in my living room)... ;)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Motorcycle News in the UK had a six page spread yesterday reporting on test rides at Homestead. Very impressive. They summed it up as being a typical Kwack, lovely raw engine, bags of power (but not much below 8000 rpm). Sounds like an awful lot of fun in a very small package.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.