Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Yamaha question (heresy)

2K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Chaos 
#1 ·
Rather than post up on one of the general sportbikes forums I'm on and be told to search or be flamed, I figured I'd ask all you wonderful people since this will probably turn into a discussion on gay thingz and other assorted curiosities. And that is always enjoyable.

This stems from a disagreement I had with someone about the 2006 YZF Yamahas....the special edition or limited edition or whatever the F they were called, who cares. The ones with the classic paint scheme, you know what I'm talking about. White with yellow/black striping. Yup.

The R6 was pretty much just graphics as far as I know....but the R1, didn't it have March's and an Ohlins front (and rear maybe too)? The REAL one....I know there are some bikes floating around with the graphics but none of the goodies. I think the bike I'm talking about was like $18k or somewhere around there.

The matter got more interesting as two days go, on our bi-annual 1day tour of every moto dealer in jax (and yes it is grueling but worth it as we bullshit our way along).....we find a 2006 R1 with the special graphics but none of the good shit. Yet it had a numbered plate on the tank. Did they number all the bishes? Or did some stooge toss that on there? I think they shoulda just numbered the ones that were actually special.....but I guess Yamaha is a very choice gang of strange bastards. Probably Rossi's fault. Or maybe someone in the musical instrument department.

Discuss and digress.

See less See more
#2 ·
The 50th anniversary is just a paint scheme found on many models.

The LE R1 was just for 2006 with all the Ohlins stuff and Wheels for $18k. I believe there were 500 of them, all numbered. The one you saw could have been a tank from a wrecked LE or someone took all the goodies off of it and sold it for money :dunno:

#12 · (Edited)
Bingo.

Yamaha FTW :D

I am far from brand biased. ;)

That is my Suzuki pit-bike (ATV) in the background. I was going to go with the Kawasaki 50cc but it was alot bigger and for what i wanted, the smaller the better.

#6 ·
The 2006 R1 and R6 came in three colors each (I think red, blue and 50th Anniversary paint scheme). In addition to the 50th anniversary paint scheme there were 500 numbered Limited Edition R1's with the anniversary paint scheme, Ohlins forks, shocks, dampers and Marchesini wheels.
Don't know if all of the anniversary paint schemes were numbered or not but the LE's were.

#15 ·
theres a LE around here, prob one of the only yamadawgs i like

#23 ·
Last year I was riding my favorite local twistie road and happened to run into a guy with an LE.
If that bike isn't on the track, then he got it simply for bragging rights. You simply cannot utilize the things that make that bike truly a SPECIAL edition on the street.

#19 ·
Europe got the black one. See! There's a guy around here with a yellow one I'm just not sure if it was the LE. I'll look next time. He's over 50 so it could be considering the price of them up here. They are nice bikes but the R1s and R6s with just the special paint scheme don't look that nice IMO.

Habs

#22 ·
:D

It is going to get even worse. Mine is at Marietta Motorsports right now having an Ohlins 25mm kit put in the forks (already has an Ohlins rear), Bazzaz unit installed(Fuel/air map, Quickshifter and Traction Control), getting new Sharkskinz bodywork and being safety wired to WERA specs.

w00t :D

#24 ·
Problem with the SE is that in 06 it was cheaper to buy an R1, Marchesini aluminum wheels, R&T forks and the shock, than it was to buy the R1 LE...then you had dealers in 06 trying to mark them up to $24k+ as if it was somehow actually worth even the $18k the factory wanted...not to mention that the components used on the R1 LE aren't standard aftermarket, they were a cheaper one-off run made for Yamaha specifically...i.e. the R1 LE Marchesini wheels are a slightly different (and cheaper) spec than the aftermarket Marchesini forged Al's you would buy anywhere else. So you were paying more than standard aftermarket for worse than standard aftermarket kit. Just didn't make sense to me.

#26 ·
"Worth" is a relative term.

I agree with most of what you said. But if you paid $11k-ish for a regular R1, then paid $2.5k for the wheels, $4k for the suspension, upgraded slipper clutch, lap timer, different chain and then paid for installation on all of those parts...you would be well over $18k. You still wouldnt have the engine upgrades the LE had or be able to say that you have #xxx out of 500.

No, i can't see $24k for them and to be honest...i wouldnt pay $18k for one of them for the reasons you mentioned. I am just saying that i can see where the $18k price came from.

#27 ·
Speaking of Ohlins suspension, my girlfriend just took this picture of me yesterday. Ohlins could use this picture as an advertisement, lol. Or maybe it should be turned into one of those "Motivational Posters" for Ohlins.

Take a guess who has stock forks in this pic...

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.