Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Yamaha -OFFICIALLY- did their PR for the 07 bikes. The R1 is as shown in some of the more recent pics floating around here, with the smaller tail with more exhaust can showing, and the larger front headlights...makes it look like a characature of last year's R1. Not too good, IMO.

Some people might claim the 07 R6 is unchanged from 06, but there are some small, minor changes that weren't addressed during the introduction, but was revealed when asked about it. Yes, it finally happened. Yamaha finally actually admitted that they lied about the R6 redline. The 07 R6's will have a 'properly' (well...MORE properly...it'll still be optomistic) marked tachometer (probably somewhere in the 16.5k range, making it even with what the ZX-6RR has been spinning for four years now). The journalist commentary I read said that the journos were actually snickering when Yamaha was admitting the change while trying to step around the real issue and the reasons behind the change. Wish I could have been there. hehehe

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by two6ryder
claimed a 178HP without factoring the ram air effect
178 BHP, actually...the difference is important. They -actually- claimed a 5hp gain over last year's bike, which is really the only way to guestimate what the HP output will really be. A buddy of mine has an 06 that put out 153 stock at the wheel, so the 07 will probably be putting out somewhere around 158 to the wheel. Still have a little bit to catch up to the rest, even assuming the competition all keeps the same drivetrain...but I guess it's progress.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by caboose
depends on the dyno, i saw an 06 turn 148 after an 06 10 turned 154 and an 05 gixxer1K turned 155.

anyways, factory claims will always be at the crank.
Right, I was just giving an example to compare. Weird that you saw an 06 turn 148 though because the dyno this was on typically reads a bit lower than other dynos in the area. Were you at a higher elevation when you saw that run?

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
i'm interested in knowing more about the variable intake (moving velocity stacks or something like that) Sounds genius, wondering if it will feel any diff from 06

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by joonyaboy
i'm interested in knowing more about the variable intake (moving velocity stacks or something like that) Sounds genius, wondering if it will feel any diff from 06
When they're fully extended, though, there's a gap between the snorkel and the throttle bodies...like a pretty good sized gap. I know they know what they're doing, but that seems kinda counter-intuitive, like once you get past a certain length all of a sudden the throttle bodies are cut to half their height.

Plus, it's just one more motorized computer-controlled part that's gonna break. I mean, come on, that little servo exposed to all that heat and CONSTANTLY moving, especially if you race or ride hard...and how would you know that it's broken unless there's some kind of error light? I think Yamaha's taking the techno-gagetry a little too far...I mean, can't they make horsepower in the normal ways, the way everyone else does? They have all those doo-dads and gizmos, and they're still down on HP. Just makes me wonder.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Originally posted by dragknt

They -actually- claimed a 5hp gain over last year's bike, which is really the only way to guestimate what the HP output will really be. A buddy of mine has an 06 that put out 153 stock at the wheel, so the 07 will probably be putting out somewhere around 158 to the wheel. Still have a little bit to catch up to the rest, even assuming the competition all keeps the same drivetrain...but I guess it's progress.
Actually, they claimed a 3 hp gain from the 05 model - and it was confirmed at the very top of the RPMs by cycle mags.

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Chingon

Actually, they claimed a 3 hp gain from the 05 model - and it was confirmed at the very top of the RPMs by cycle mags.
[:M7] Pay attention slacker. hehe j/k

3hp from 05-06, which was dead on (the same guy I know with the 06 had an 05 previously that was stolen, so he was able to dyno both bikes at the same milage with the same break-in on the same dyno). We're talking about the 07. Yamaha is claiming a 5 HP gain over the 06 R1 for the 07 model year.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
All I care about is Kawi!

Although I do like the last generation R1 in that beautiful candy apple red color.. Yummy color!

·
Neutered
2006 MV Agusta F4 1000S
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by caboose
thats one ugly torque curve.

i wouldnt consider london, ontario higher elevation.. but it was a warm and humid day so that would have affected it too.
heheh...it's always warm and humid in FL. =)

Also, with a good dyno technition making a good enough map on a PC3, you can get rid of that dip and make the torque curve -very- flat. Strange that they wouldn't send it from the factory with a good map though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.