Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to bikes. Just got a 96 zx-7r. Was riding bike tonight when bike cut off after about 2 miles. I thought maybe I let off the clutch too early, hit the starter and kept right on. Couple minutes later bike started to chug a little, like i was out of gas and not to much later the bike cut off. I was still in gear and my oil indicator light was on but i didnt notice it right off. Put bike in neutral and sat for about 10 minutes, started bike up and drove about 200 yards to an advanced auto. Thats when i checked the oil level indicator which was indication nothing ! dry! Empty! To make a long story short, 2 quarts and an hour later i managed to get the bike started long enough to get it home. I thought that since the oil was in it, all was well. I live about a mile from the advanced auto and as i was parking, the bike started chugging and sputtering again and died in the driveway.

I am going to have it towed over to a service center, but im really worried about what all might have been damaged. Im thinking maybe i screwed the clutch if it was starving for oil, but the engine never seized it just died. would a bad clutch have caused the engine to sputter and lose power like mine did? Or whatelse could be fried? Any insight would be great.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear that, you might want to sit down and think about this one a bit. Running a motorcycle dry for very long can cause a ton of engine wear. If you didn't run it hard and since it didn't seize then it may not be damaged, just very worn... if that makes sense. The other thing to think about is how much clutch material wore off and is now being run around the engine. It should get filtered out, but still that presents a problem. So, to really be sure you will have to open it up and at least do an inspection of the motor (top and bottom) and tranny/clutch if not a rebuild would definitely give you some security.

So here's where the thinking comes in to play, is it worth all the work on a 10 year old bike? You haven't had it for long, so things happen like this with older bikes that you don't know the history of, so do you want to chance it and fix this problem only to deal with other problems? I may be giving you the worst case senario, so I would call up a reputable shop in your area and see if they can give you a prognosis and checkup without costing a ton of money up front.
Hope that helps
DG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any idea of how much something like that may cost? A side from labor costs, how much doese a clutch and tranny cost?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I wouldn't even worry about the clutch at this point. As stated above, I'd be worried about all the engine internals like bearings, pistons rings, etc. Not only did you run the engine without proper lubrication, but you also overheated it really bad by doing so.

Have it all checked out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see. I will note that I monitor the heat very often. ever since i got it, it had a heatingissue when it was sitting still, an attribute i will lend to having little to no oil. When all this happend the engine heat indicator was low, by low i mean below half way . Nothing was burning, no smoke or smells or wierd noises. The reason I was thinkin the clutch may be bad is because i had to use a little more than normal force to kick it out of neutral into first, after that though, i ran through all the gears fine and smooth

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would think that unless you ran it hard the clutch could probably be salvaged. Put some oil in it (the way it should be) and it will probably work a lot smoother. Those stationary shifts I think especially would be affected.
I have no idea of the cost except for what I've seen motors go for on E-Bay. Somewhere around $500, but then you have to assume it's not in perfect ready to run condition and that you will spend at least another 100 bucks on basic refurbishing (fluids, seals, hoses, etc) So I'd definitely talk to a good mechanic.
Good luck!
DG

·
Registered
356 Posts
You guys need to be thinking about the crank and con rod bearings. The clutch will live quite well with little or no oil. The bearings however, will not. I'm betting it's time for a bottom end rebuild. The cams may have ruined the head as well. Only a professional mechanic will be able to answer this one. :(

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree with Stormdragon.Your engine/gearbox/clutch is all lubricated by the same oil.Cheapest analysis,drop the shit oil and filter,replace with new,run it up,and see what the damage is.You may be lucky,but as the others say,you may be not,due to lack of oil.A bikes engine only suffers top end damage through lack of oil,as the excess only lubricates the gears and clutch,so riding short distances and time will only wear the top end.The worst scenario is a replacement motor,which would cost 200 pounds over here,and to change it would take three hours.Its pretty rare to have a bike lose engine oil,unless there is a very noticeable leak or alot of blue smoke.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys Ive been checkin stuff out. Firstly thanx for all the tips and suggestions.

Ok, heres the newest problem. Bike won't turn over. Remember how I said the bike cut off as soon as I got it home? It also tried to cut off whenever I slowed down or stopped on the way home. Yesterday and today I tried to start the bike up and it wont turn over. Now my battery is dead. I THINK I may be in luck here. As I accelerated, my bike acted as if it were starving for power but wouldnt cut off. As soon as I let off the gas the bike tried to die out. but i think it may be because the charging system is not working properly and the low oil may have been a lucky catch for me. When I dropped oil in it that day, I could see and feel oil on the clutch just nothing in the actual oil level indiicator window. So I know the oil was LOW LOW but im leaning towards that not being the full problem.

The other plus is, I have a new altenator for the bike. Came with it at purchase because the guy said he thought the current one was almost done. Also gave me a magnito. Now idea what that is but thats what it is called. Unlike a car, i am told that the altenator is not the unit that keeps my battery charged. What keeps my battery charged up when riding and how much is it. I have a manual he gave me with it as well that explains how to fix and replace things. Ive junked around a little with cars but not bikes. Are these fixes I could do myself on the weekend or do I need to pay the shop up the street $60 bucks an hour to replace these parts? Any idea about what you all think may be the problem will help me here to.

Oh yeah!I drained the oil and there was no metal in it. My first time doing an oil change, replaced oil filter as well. no particals or anything, just fresh clean oil from the other day.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Before you start with swapping out the stator and flywheel, you might want to have the battery tested to see if it's the culprit. Also, unless the engine is making noise, chances are no damage was done to it by being low on oil. If you want to prove that, just drain the oil, and install a new oil filter, and then search the old oil for metal.

BC.

·
Registered
96 Posts
here is an idea if your bike only has 2 quarts of oil and you know 4 is what you need why dont you try adding 2 more quarts. your battery might be dead for other reason. i suggest. you go to advance auto get an oil filter and 4 quarts of oil do the oil change and see if you get any bits and peaces coming out with the oil . if you do then take it to the shop if not do a complete oil change . charge the battery or replace it . after you finsih all that try turning yout bike on and let it idle for a few minutes untill the oil fills threw the system.and keep an eye out on the engine if it loses oil like that again and you my friend are better off selling it and buying a new one. because your going to have to change headers gaskets and all that good stuff. let me knwo thanks

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Pray for the best and expect the worst.. That's my motto.

It sounds like it might be something minor to me though. I wish you luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.